Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Stay in DXB or Move back to London

Stay in DXB or Move back to London

Old Nov 16th 2020, 6:43 am
Just Joined

omair85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stay in DXB or move back to London

Hello All, I would really appreciate some advice on whether to move back to the UK or stay in Dubai.

I have been out here since 2010 and wonder what the career prospects could be upon my return to London. I am 35 (qualified accountant) and working as a Financial Controller for an International bank.

Financially, we would save £70k per year in DXB compared to £30k in London.

Reasons for moving:

1. Education - Have two kids 7 and 6 Yr old currently at a British School in Dubai (wife not too impressed with schooling here)

2. Sporting opportunities- My son is an extremely keen and talented cricketer and could really develop well back home, but this could easily wait until he is 11years old.

3. Career - Having been out of the UK for almost a decade, I wonder whether delaying the move to another few years would make it harder to land a good career opportunity back home when we eventually return.

Personally, I would love to stay out here until kids are 11 and then move with the extra savings - but my wife would rather move next year.

Has anyone in a similar situation made the move? What do you think?

Thank you all.

Last edited by omair85; Nov 16th 2020 at 6:49 am.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay in DXB or Move back to London

Only you know the dynamics at home. The money will never make her happy.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the education is somewhat better in the UK, it isn't.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 7:12 am
Just Joined

I remember exchanging messages with you on here back in 2017 which was hilarious. I did manage to keep the Mrs here for 3 more years.

The problem is that she is a teacher herself and apparently the gap between the quality of education here and back home seems to widen every year.

Personally, I love the sunshine and the savings and would be happy to keep my son busy with cricket here until he is 11, but this daily/weekly debate is driving me nuts.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by omair85
I remember exchanging messages with you on here back in 2017 which was hilarious. I did manage to keep the Mrs here for 3 more years.

The problem is that she is a teacher herself and apparently the gap between the quality of education here and back home seems to widen every year.

Personally, I love the sunshine and the savings and would be happy to keep my son busy with cricket here until he is 11, but this daily/weekly debate is driving me nuts.
Honestly, probably time to leave. You dragged it out a few more years.

As for the career, I think it would be easier to go back at 35 vs 40.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 7:23 am
Just Joined

I wish never going back was an option too. I do agree with you that at 35 I could still manage the grind, but at 40 I might struggle.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice

Working with an International Bank should give you plenty of scope to re-locate to London with the same employer? Unless Brexit has already buggered that?
Old Nov 16th 2020, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Lol! Brexit did just that! I was set for a position to manage EMEA and UK out of London but thanks to Brexit, the bank moved it’s operations to Dublin and Luxembourg.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gavtek
Working with an International Bank should give you plenty of scope to re-locate to London with the same employer? Unless Brexit has already buggered that?
He probably doesn't want to do product control with the shift starting at 6am and the first report out by 7.30 am every day.

miserable.
Old Nov 18th 2020, 5:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

In reality, another few years isn't going to damage your chances of getting work in the UK. It's now at 10+ so if it's 13 or 15 it makes no odds.

Schools here are hit and miss, good ones are great and bad ones are atrocious. Much like the UK although here they can punt shit teachers if they're inclined and trying to improve. In the UK it's almost impossible to shift the 54 year old old-fashioned, doddery ***** that think computers are a fad.

The Mrs moved to a new school recently and it's not as good as the one she was at out here, but it's a project and there's an opportunity for it to grow and change etc.
She had a kid who moved over from Manchester and was struggling to adjust so kept getting sent to her as a senior leader. He kept asking her where the gangs where and who he needed to speak to about which gang to join. Couldn't get his head around there not being gangs etc.

I know where I'd rather teach.
Old Nov 18th 2020, 5:49 am
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by omair85
Lol! Brexit did just that! I was set for a position to manage EMEA and UK out of London but thanks to Brexit, the bank moved it’s operations to Dublin and Luxembourg.
nothing wrong with those two locations. Irish cricket has become pretty good...
Old Nov 18th 2020, 7:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by fth
nothing wrong with those two locations. Irish cricket has become pretty good...
Old Nov 18th 2020, 8:57 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Scamp;12936948] ....

The Mrs moved to a new school recently and it's not as good as the one she was at out here, but it's a project and there's an opportunity for it to grow and change etc.
She had a kid who moved over from Manchester and was struggling to adjust so kept getting sent to her as a senior leader. He kept asking her where the gangs where and who he needed to speak to about which gang to join. Couldn't get his head around there not being gangs etc.

I know where I'd rather teach.[/QUOTE

Just about sums up our thoughts. I know where I’d rather be a pupil 🙄
Old Nov 18th 2020, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
. He kept asking her where the gangs where and who he needed to speak to about which gang to join.
Well you got Arabian Ranches Posse, Jumeirah Spartans or the So Sharjah Crew...blud
Old Nov 18th 2020, 9:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
Perhaps, if inner city Manchester is the comparison. But there are some amazing schools in the UK, my children are at one. Small class sizes, amazing opportunities like learning to scuba dive, learning Mandarin, learning to sail etc, brilliant facilities including one of the biggest climbing walls in the south of England, and incredible teachers. So depends where the OP is looking to move to, if he needs to commute to London then he can avoid Moss Side and will have a huge choice of excellent schooling areas.
Old Nov 18th 2020, 11:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hnd

Definitely tempted by here, that being said a good old fashioned UK school education isn't the end of the world. I thoroughly enjoyed private and grammar school. Was lovely.
There's probably a different sort of bullying and trouble here but the nature of the environment would make me think you'd end up with a kid who's at least far more aware and accepting of different nationalities / cultures.

Originally Posted by flares
Well you got Arabian Ranches Posse, Jumeirah Spartans or the So Sharjah Crew...blud
Genuine chuckle at them.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Perhaps, if inner city Manchester is the comparison. But there are some amazing schools in the UK, my children are at one. Small class sizes, amazing opportunities like learning to scuba dive, learning Mandarin, learning to sail etc, brilliant facilities including one of the biggest climbing walls in the south of England, and incredible teachers. So depends where the OP is looking to move to, if he needs to commute to London then he can avoid Moss Side and will have a huge choice of excellent schooling areas.
I had a sailing club at my school, was my absolute fave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.