Reload this Page >

starting out in Dubai - novice

starting out in Dubai - novice

Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:41 am
Just Joined

mememe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default starting out in Dubai - novice

Hi,

Am looking at upping sticks and moving to Dubai. What's the easiest way to organise job, property, bank account etc from the UK. Is there a one stop shop website that I've not been able to find or is it easier to actually visit and get everything organised before moving out there?? Was also wondering if many of the employers have a "relocation" service to help with all of this???

Any advice would be v. welcome.

Thanks
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:56 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: starting out in Dubai - novice

why do you want to come to dubai?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:20 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

because it has been on Sky News half the day and people think it looks good

what line of work are you in? personal circumstances etc?
Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:23 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Think the op was expecting link like www.clickherefora60Kamonthjobandahousethrowninforf ree.ae

Sorry, that ship has sailed

For some
Old Nov 21st 2008, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

girlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to all

Originally Posted by commander
Think the op was expecting link like http://www.clickherefora60Kamonthjob...wninforfree.ae

S

Ha ha - perhaps I could pass that address onto anyone of the numerous aquaintances who are now contacting me with a view to making the move here - only a year after they slated my decision to move to the desert!

Basically you can't sort out anything (bank account/housing/car) without a visa (and three hundred photos!) and you don't get one of them unless you have a job. They are becoming increasingly hard to come by because every muppet and his mate now wants to work in the Gulf.

A lot depends on your job/skills. Contact recruitment agents in the UK and see what they say.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 10:43 am
Just Joined

mememe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by girlabouttown
Ha ha - perhaps I could pass that address onto anyone of the numerous aquaintances who are now contacting me with a view to making the move here - only a year after they slated my decision to move to the desert!

Basically you can't sort out anything (bank account/housing/car) without a visa (and three hundred photos!) and you don't get one of them unless you have a job. They are becoming increasingly hard to come by because every muppet and his mate now wants to work in the Gulf.

A lot depends on your job/skills. Contact recruitment agents in the UK and see what they say.
Thanks girlabouttown. Skills are in Sales and Marketing, just been made redundant in the UK and looking at all of my options for the next few years. Was not specifically looking for the www.clickherefor60Kjob etc etc site, it's just that if you look at relocating to Canada/Aus for example, there's a variety of sites which allow you to search for jobs, property, set up your bank account etc all from one place, just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a similar resource for Dubai. Thanks for the advice. P.S. It's grey raining and cold here in the UK.....am guessing it's a bit nicer where you are !!
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 11:44 am
banned

Sorry, if its sales and markrting in the property sector then I think you will be dissapointed as I feel there are a lot of uk cowboys in that field currently on one way tickets out of here as there bubble has well and truly burst. I feel sorry for some of them, but the under qualified who came here and gloated about there money in barastis etc, I have no sympathy for. Close the door on you way out ****wits.

My point being, I would look elsewhere than bankrupt dubai

Last edited by commander; Nov 22nd 2008 at 11:46 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Babyrat08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mememe
Hi,

Am looking at upping sticks and moving to Dubai. What's the easiest way to organise job, property, bank account etc from the UK. Is there a one stop shop website that I've not been able to find or is it easier to actually visit and get everything organised before moving out there?? Was also wondering if many of the employers have a "relocation" service to help with all of this???

Any advice would be v. welcome.

Thanks
My personal advice would be to secure a job with a relocation package of some sort before coming out here as it is very expensive to rent in Dubai. Most companies who employ from the UK will sort out most things for you or at least point you in the right direction.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

There's a property developer/company out here callled Nakheel........

They have run out of money, but need to find some - lots - to repay their maturing convertible bond in about 13 months from now.

In the absence of ready cash, they could do the time-honoured American thing, and simply issue new bonds to raise cash to repay the old ones.

But - to raise new cash they are going to have to pay almost 40 - YES, FORTY - percent above market rates. Nobody will lend to them for less.

As Groucho Marx might have said... never lend to anyone that is willing to pay the rate you'd like to charge them.

Dubai real estate? Avoid.