British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Start Up Costs For Living In Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/start-up-costs-living-dubai-857941/)

slaterpt May 10th 2015 1:48 pm

Start Up Costs For Living In Dubai

Hello Everyone,

I'm moving over to Dubai in August as I have been successful in applying for a job at a gym as I am a personal trainer.

For the first 4 weeks of my stay there I will be staying wig a friend and then looking to get my own place wether that's on my own or sharing with others as it's easier to meet new people.

I was curious if anyone has started up in Dubai similar to me, a in got a job gone over and lived there and I wondered how much money they took over with them to start with as being a pt I get paid more on top of my salary for the more sessions I deliver.

I don't have any children and will be going on my own.

Any help,will be appreciated.

Liam

scrubbedexpat141 May 11th 2015 5:06 am

Re: Start Up Costs For Living In Dubai

Originally Posted by slaterpt (Post 11641990)
Hello Everyone,

I'm moving over to Dubai in August as I have been successful in applying for a job at a gym as I am a personal trainer.

For the first 4 weeks of my stay there I will be staying wig a friend and then looking to get my own place wether that's on my own or sharing with others as it's easier to meet new people.

I was curious if anyone has started up in Dubai similar to me, a in got a job gone over and lived there and I wondered how much money they took over with them to start with as being a pt I get paid more on top of my salary for the more sessions I deliver.

I don't have any children and will be going on my own.

Any help,will be appreciated.

Liam

I brought enough, but I can't remember how much it was.

Think this way;

Rent if on your own, is likely to be 12 months up front. Can your company give you a loan?
If unfurnished, then Ikea and Dubizzle are your friends, but again, that's furnishing an entire apartment, bed, tv, sofa, kitchen everything.
Maybe need white goods too - fridge, oven, washing machine.
Also need deposits for services like DEWA, Du/Etisalat, Empower/AC supplier.

All that shit is expensive. Sharing is probably a good idea to start with, probably need AED 5-6000 a month ready for rent + any deposit they want, maybe a month's rent.

Renting a car is easy and not that lumpy.

Bring as much as you can and be a bit tight to start with.

nickwilliams01 May 16th 2015 11:59 am

I think AED 6,000 - 7,000 is enough to live in Dubai because I have experience when I visited Dubai on a visit visa.

slaterpt May 19th 2015 8:35 pm

Is that per month or did you take that amount out with you?