Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Sri Lanka Dengue Fever outbreak

Sri Lanka Dengue Fever outbreak

Old Jul 10th 2017, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sri Lanka Dengue Fever outbreak

We are due to fly out this Thursday for 2 weeks with a toddler, anyone been there recently with kids? and how did you deal with the mosquitos? very mixed messages on dengue fever. We are looking at rescheduling.

ER
Old Jul 10th 2017, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sri Lanka Dengue Fever outbreak

I know someone who went a few years ago, and contracted it. Not fun!

I have to travel a lot in Africa and here is how I deal with mosquitoes there: I dress fairly similar to how I do in the Middle East (long-sleeved collared shirt, trousers), though in Africa I will also wear a hat. The more of you that is covered up = the less area mosquitoes have to bite you, and in many places that look is also culturally sensitive as opposed to the "vacationing Westerner on the beach" look.

I sleep under a mosquito net - I usually bring my own as you can't assume that the local accommodation will have one (or if they do, that it doesn't have holes in it). I'll often find some way to tack the mosquito net to the bed because I tend to toss and turn and this can dislodge the net and leave me exposed.

I will also have some repellent on my neck etc.

That is Africa, though, I worry much, much, much less in Asia. African mosquitoes can also transmit cerebral malaria which can kill you in 24 hours - not really a worry in Asia.

Not something I would re-schedule my holiday over.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 5:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Gulp.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine contracted cerebral malaria in Africa a couple of years ago, he died about 4 months later!!

Always take precautions, such as repellent sprays, nets etc....in some cases Malaria, if contracted, will return and it can be quite debilitating!

Having traveled and worked in Africa, it is the only way to ensure you will not get it, although having said that I never take any of the pills for it, as some have nasty side effects!
Old Jul 10th 2017, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that you may be traveling at what is considered to be a high risk month as well, I don`t mean to be the harbinger of bad news! Although having said that, if you take the precautions everything should be ok!

Here is some info that might be of interest;

https://www.iamat.org/country/sri-lanka/risk/dengue

SRI LANKA: Dengue Fever Epidemic In Sri Lanka Vs. State Responsibility | Sri Lanka Brief
Old Jul 10th 2017, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
A friend of mine contracted cerebral malaria in Africa a couple of years ago, he died about 4 months later!!

Always take precautions, such as repellent sprays, nets etc....in some cases Malaria, if contracted, will return and it can be quite debilitating!

Having traveled and worked in Africa, it is the only way to ensure you will not get it, although having said that I never take any of the pills for it, as some have nasty side effects!

Dubaiexile, I agree. I try to avoid anti-malaria pills. If I feel I have to go on them - I avoid Lariam at all costs (that trades under a variety of different names but is the one you take once a week). In Africa doctors also tell me to avoid Lariam. UAE doctors will try to foist it on you but insist on taking something else, and give them plenty of time to source it. Doxycycline is the one I go for even though that comes with its own set of issues. I also usually travel with a thermometer and take my temperature when I wake up, and again at night - at the first hint of a fever assume you have malaria and get to a hospital! Minutes really can count, and most clinics even in the bush are Malaria-experienced and can do testing and some treatment! I wouldn't want to be showing a fever at night in Africa without knowing what was causing it, since if I go to sleep I might not wake up . . .

But, thankfully, cerebral malaria will not be a problem for OP in Sri Lanka . . . and on holiday rabies shouldn't be an issue either . . .
Old Jul 12th 2017, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

eastrunner is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all interesting points, taking loads of repellant and long sleeve clothing

ER