Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Spouse's visa for Qatar

Spouse's visa for Qatar

Old Aug 18th 2009, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Bodean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse's visa for Qatar

I'll be relocating to Doha in the next couple of weeks. My employer has arranged my visa which I have a copy of and I'm supposed to present upon arrival. Everything seems sorted however the thing I'm confused about is the visa process for my wife and son.

My employer is telling me that they have to follow after me due to the residence visa process. Apparently I have to have a residence visa and be in the country before I can apply to sponsor them. Is this correct?
It would be greatly apreciated if someone could explain the process, as I always thought they could enter the country on a visit visa and do a "visa run" if and when required while the residence visas are sorted.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

kellieb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar

Hi there

I moved to Qatar 14mths ago with my husband so I can help you with your questions.

My husband had a business visa to begin with until he got residency. So I travelled with him and entered the country on a tourist visa 100QR which is valid for month one - you can renew it once more before you have to do a visa run (to Bahrain/Dubai) and then you can do it again. But I only needed to do it once.

Once my husband got his RP then he was able to start the sponsorship process for me - which involved a medical/blood tests/fingerprinting and then just waiting for my RP to come thru. This whole process probably took four months in total.

Anymore questions just ask. Hope this helps

So yes they can come with you and do the visit visa thing no problem.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Spouse's visa for Qatar

Hi Kellieb,

Thank you for reply. Your situation was exactly what I was hoping we could do.

Thanks a million
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

Basically, the issue is that your husband needs his RP completed before he can sponsor you for your visa.
However the alternative to the visa run, is to get onto your husband's RP immediately on arrival.

It can be done & received back in much less than the month, if you push the right buttons on your employers PRO team.

So if he can get his paperwork done, his medical inspection ( that's what it is ) fingerprints & blood typing done ASAP then the average turn-around time is 2 weeks for him to get his passport back with the RP. At which time he can complete your application. In which case no need for the visa run.

Also note the requirement to get a drivers license processed. Not connected to the RP, but it's something you'll get different advice on & something that needs to be done, also ASAP.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Keoic, thanks for your adive. I'll be pushing hard to get the RP sorted as quickly as I possible. Also thank you for the advice regarding the license.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

kellieb is an unknown quantity at this point

Usually the license is not a problem - most countries like Australia/NZ/UK are able to automatically sway your license straight over once u have your RP