Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Spouse/Family Visa

Spouse/Family Visa

Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spouse/Family Visa

Does anybody know how long the process is for getting a spouse visa issued for AD?

I am now planning to get married in Cyprus and hopefully we can both travel together to AD. Will I need to get the certificate attested before getting a visa?

As she is Russian she obviously cannot get the standard visitor visa so wondered how straight forward it was getting a spouse visa issued at the airport.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 2:55 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse/Family Visa

Originally Posted by benzonar
Does anybody know how long the process is for getting a spouse visa issued for AD?

I am now planning to get married in Cyprus and hopefully we can both travel together to AD. Will I need to get the certificate attested before getting a visa?

As she is Russian she obviously cannot get the standard visitor visa so wondered how straight forward it was getting a spouse visa issued at the airport.
She will need to come in on a visit visa, then get transferred onto yours as you need to show immigration at this side the attested marriage licence, does that make sense? unless your company can sort something out in advance for you
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Alternatively, there are plenty of delightful Russian girls already here looking for western husbands...or so I have been told!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:14 pm
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Benzonar,

She can come in on a 60 day Tourist Visa with Sponsorship. For the purposes of the Tourist Visa, a hotel or travel company can sponsor her. This is not difficult to organise.

If your company are efficient, you should have your Residency Visa in a few days. It should then only be another few days before she has hers.

It really is not as difficult nor as complex as some would have you believe.

Good luck!

Sam x
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
Hi Benzonar,

She can come in on a 60 day Tourist Visa with Sponsorship. For the purposes of the Tourist Visa, a hotel or travel company can sponsor her. This is not difficult to organise.

If your company are efficient, you should have your Residency Visa in a few days. It should then only be another few days before she has hers.

It really is not as difficult nor as complex as some would have you believe.

Good luck!

Sam x
It is easy but not that fast...
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming you still hadn't got your own residency visa:
Firstly get married, attest the details with the Russian Embassy in the country you're getting married in, as well as the UK Embassy...I think you need both country stamps since its 2 nationalities getting married...
Then, ask for your employer to get your employment visa processed as well as process another visit visa for your lovely wife...As soon as both of you are in, let the company PRO set the stage for a spectacular pulling of a rabbit out of a hat by processing your res visa first and based on the docs of marriage you have at hand, your wife's res visa...
NB: You may be asked that your wife get many kinds of paperwork done in her embassy/consulate here in UAE so that it gets done properly...
I know,it is a hard procedure...If I were you, I would forget about getting married and call Lionheart...
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:07 pm
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
It is easy but not that fast...
Most delays are due to not having your documents sorted out before you arrive. For instance, your educational certificates must be firstly attested by a Notary Public in their issuing country, then your educational certificates and marriage certificate (if you have one) and children's birth certificates (if you have any) must be certified by the Foreign Office in London, then certified again by the UAE Embassy in London. On arrival in the UAE, your documents must then be translated into Arabic by an authorised document translator, then finally submitted to your company so that they can apply for your Residence Visa.

It is astonishing how many expats think they can bypass the system. or miss out some of these crucial steps, then blame Arab inefficiency when their Residence Visa is delayed.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
Most delays are due to not having your documents sorted out before you arrive. For instance, your educational certificates must be firstly attested by a Notary Public in their issuing country, then your educational certificates and marriage certificate (if you have one) and children's birth certificates (if you have any) must be certified by the Foreign Office in London, then certified again by the UAE Embassy in London. On arrival in the UAE, your documents must then be translated into Arabic by an authorised document translator, then finally submitted to your company so that they can apply for your Residence Visa.

It is astonishing how many expats think they can bypass the system. or miss out some of these crucial steps, then blame Arab inefficiency when their Residence Visa is delayed.
What you say is true...
It always to ask the company PRO about what is needed and all the steps as well as get a second opinion, that of the "typing centre" in the proximity area of the intended govt department (immigration or labour,etc) and get all the steps completed...
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. My degree certificate has been attested already.

The plan is that I will come out to AD first for a month or two. Sort out my visa, accommodation, get the cats over etc.

Then I will fly to either Sri Lanka or Cyprus from AD, she will do the same but from the UK. We will then get married in either Sri Lanka or Cyprus.
She will then stay in Sri Lanka for a week or two whilst I fly back to AD and sort out the spouse visa, she will then fly over.

That should work hopefully.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok. My degree certificate has been attested already.

The plan is that I will come out to AD first for a month or two. Sort out my visa, accommodation, get the cats over etc.

Then I will fly to either Sri Lanka or Cyprus from AD, she will do the same but from the UK. We will then get married in either Sri Lanka or Cyprus.
She will then stay in Sri Lanka for a week or two whilst I fly back to AD and sort out the spouse visa, she will then fly over.

That should work hopefully.
Hopefully...But still,ask around...Especially your company PRO and a typist centre...Typists know the daily ins and outs of the departments they serve,because over here, you get a new rule/decree put up every morning...
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Alternatively, there are plenty of delightful Russian girls already here looking for western husbands...or so I have been told!
there are also lots of delightful Russian girls here not looking for Western husbands.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Exploring UAE is an unknown quantity at this point

I know of a great wedding planner in Cyprus. If you want the details, just PM me and I will send.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
there are also lots of delightful Russian girls here not looking for Western husbands.
They'll learn eventually...
Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Get your company to sponsor her visit visa as well.