Sponsors keeping staff passports

Sponsors keeping staff passports

Old Apr 28th 2013, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

stoobb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Sponsors keeping staff passports

Hi.

Just curious.

Is it legal for sponsors to hold on to staff passports in exchange for Iqamas and vice versa when we go on holiday?

Or is it just the done thing in KSA?

Thanks.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 7:36 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsors keeping staff passports

Originally Posted by stoobb
Hi.

Just curious.

Is it legal for sponsors to hold on to staff passports in exchange for Iqamas and vice versa when we go on holiday?

Thanks.
No it's not legal, but they still do it. I initially had to get signoff from the CEO to keep my passport when I was working in Saudi, but then I moved to Bahrain so kind of had to have it to cross the border every day...

I also remember we had to get colleagues/friends to sign for our debts to the company when we went on holiday. In case we didn't come back...

They are so backward it's unreal....I always used to tell the HR Director that if you stop treating people like shit they won't run away! The wall had better listening skills though..
Old Apr 28th 2013, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Common practice in KSA. Many employees get very uptight about this. It never bothered me that much.

When you say it is illegal, what do you mean ? A contravention of Saudi law ? I hardly think so. They make the rules within the Magiuc Kingdom. You could ask Carleton-Browne at the FO. When he says it is illeagel what do you imagine he is going to do ? Send a gunboat to remonstrate with the rulers of Hejaz-Nejd ?
Old Apr 28th 2013, 8:19 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Common practice in KSA. Many employees get very uptight about this. It never bothered me that much.

When you say it is illegal, what do you mean ? A contravention of Saudi law ? I hardly think so. They make the rules within the Magiuc Kingdom. You could ask Carleton-Browne at the FO. When he says it is illeagel what do you imagine he is going to do ? Send a gunboat to remonstrate with the rulers of Hejaz-Nejd ?
I'm pretty sure the law states that they cannot hold the passports of their employees. Which law exactly? No idea..

Anyway there were a couple of instances of companies being fined relatively big amounts while I was there for 'losing' passports. There was a construction company that had a fire in their head office if I remember correctly and several thousand employees were stuck up shit creek (as you can imagine for some countries getting a new passport is not necessarily straightforward so they were effectively stranded in KSA for quite some time)...
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

tbop is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely you cant be forced to give up your passport - it contravenes international law.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tbop
Surely you cant be forced to give up your passport - it contravenes international law.
As if that bothers the Saudi's one bit...
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

my contractor holds passport in their head office downtown. When I want to leave, I pick it up in exchange for the iqama, my driving license etc. I don't know anyone who has had their passport lost through this process. I have yet to use this process though because I haven't got to my first leave date yet...
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:47 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tbop
Don't think so--no multinational treaty on it as far as I'm aware. However, your passport doesn't belong to you, its the property of Her Majesty, which leads us back to FCO and gunboats...
Old Apr 29th 2013, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

check this out...

Muhammad Al-Bijawi, director of the ministry’s Madinah branch, said that no party in the Kingdom is entitled to withhold passports, explaining that this decree has been issued by the country’s highest authority.
http://www.arabnews.com/news/449793

might take a copy of that article in to my contractor next time I visit
Old Apr 29th 2013, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stoobb
Hi.

Just curious.

Thanks.
no buts a lot of companies do not much you can do about it, some companies will not pay you in they do not hold your passport etc
Old Apr 29th 2013, 8:05 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

When I came here they kept it because they were making the Iqama . After I got that they initially kept it until I went on holiday for the 1st time . I then said that I needed the Iqama too in case there was a problem re-entering the country and never gave the passport back to them when I cam back . They have asked for it and I've told them that they can keep a copy and if someone needs to see the real thing I will bring it in . They seem happy enough with this so far . The thing is , if you don't have a multiple exit visa you still need the company to make an exit visa for you so it's not like you can do a runner anyway . I don't know that I trust them not to lose it though .
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:32 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
When I came here they kept it because they were making the Iqama . After I got that they initially kept it until I went on holiday for the 1st time . I then said that I needed the Iqama too in case there was a problem re-entering the country and never gave the passport back to them when I cam back . They have asked for it and I've told them that they can keep a copy and if someone needs to see the real thing I will bring it in . They seem happy enough with this so far . The thing is , if you don't have a multiple exit visa you still need the company to make an exit visa for you so it's not like you can do a runner anyway . I don't know that I trust them not to lose it though .
You worry too much. It will be in the safe hands of the diligent and trust-worthy PRO or the capable and resourceful HR Department.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
You worry too much. It will be in the safe hands of the diligent and trust-worthy PRO or the capable and resourceful HR Department.
sometimes people leave their labour card instead.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
sometimes people leave their labour card instead.
The OP was talking about Saudi Arabia. Not sure if they have labour cards, only Iqamas.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mentalist
The OP was talking about Saudi Arabia. Not sure if they have labour cards, only Iqamas.
yes it was a generalisation....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.