Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Sponsoring a Maid/Nanny - What to do?!

Sponsoring a Maid/Nanny - What to do?!

Old May 13th 2010, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

lisalou24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsoring a Maid/Nanny - What to do?!

Hi

Just a quick query, if we are looking at sponsoring a maid/nanny where is the best place to find one? Apart from Word of Mouth, as I don't YET know anyone out there!

Also, my employer ideally wants us to move out to dubai in 4-6 weeks. I am wondering if we will technically be able to sponsor one as I am presuming we will require a valid residency visa first in order to do so?

I will require the maid/nanny straight away as the schools will have finished the summer term by then and will need help with the children during the day. I may register them at camps during the holidays, but will still need someone to be there when they have finished etc.

If anyone has any ideas, as I am completely clueless and new to all this moving abroad lark.

I am also presuming that if we get the visa sorted this end, it will take longer than 4-6 weeks!? And not even sure if this is the norm?

Help .... thanks !! Advice appreciated
Old May 13th 2010, 3:42 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sponsoring a Maid/Nanny - What to do?!

you could go for someone through an agency to start off with, while you find your feet and send out feelers. Agency maids/ nannies generally charge 25-35AED per hour.

For sponsoring a maid/nanny, you'll be looking at forking out 5-7k for her visa, and get medical insurance, flights, etc...

A-to-Z of sponsoring a maid/nanny
Old May 13th 2010, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ok yes this sounds like a better idea especially to start with.

What agencies are there out there that people use? I will google it too myself, just wondered if anyone knew any off hand?

Thanks
Old May 13th 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisalou24
Ok yes this sounds like a better idea especially to start with.

What agencies are there out there that people use? I will google it too myself, just wondered if anyone knew any off hand?

Thanks
I would be very reluctant to leave a child with an agency maid that you don't know, also the agencies can send different maids unless you insist on the same 1.
perhaps you will have more luck asking this question on www.expatwoman.com
there are quite a few people leaving Dubai this year and I am sure some of the ladies on that site will be able to help you with personal recommendations and advise.
Old May 13th 2010, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

you will soon learn that it is not possible to do these sort of things quickly.

from starting the process to having a maid was 6 weeks for us... which, I am told, was actually quite quick.

You will need a visa before you can start the process.
Old May 13th 2010, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. Ok, so getting a visa before departing UK if I want to sponsor which I thought would be the case.

With regards to agencies...really I just thought if I wanted a live-in one, then this would be the same person. shocked.

I don't really want to move out in 6 weeks, as I think this is too quick, and wont give us enough time to sort everything out anyway - think employer is just being a little unrealistic, typical male!
Old May 13th 2010, 9:17 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Ok, so getting a visa before departing UK if I want to sponsor which I thought would be the case.

With regards to agencies...really I just thought if I wanted a live-in one, then this would be the same person. shocked.

I don't really want to move out in 6 weeks, as I think this is too quick, and wont give us enough time to sort everything out anyway - think employer is just being a little unrealistic, typical male!
You need a Residence Visa to sponsor a maid.You cannot obtain a Residence Visa without undergoing bloods and medical check ups in DXB or AD or whichever Emirate.If your husband decides to be advance party- he as a lone male expat resident will encounter difficulties employing a nanny/housekeeper/maid/helper.

A live in 'one'??Is that a maid or nanny?
Prepare to be shocked Lisa.

Ditch the logic of time and sorting everything out and prepare for chaos.
No.Your prospective employer is just typical of how it is.They say jump,you ask how high;doesn't work the other way round though and you need to start on the camomile if you are serious about moving out to UAE.
Old May 13th 2010, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Oh joys - this is already giving me a headache, and only been offerred the job this week haha....

We will be all going over together, as at the moment its my job that is demanding me over ASAP!!

I think going down the route of having an agency might be too costly 35 dhs per hour, especially for the summer hols.

How long does it take to actually process visas for family - probably like asking how long is a piece of string I guess?!? (but approx)
Old May 13th 2010, 9:47 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Oh joys - this is already giving me a headache, and only been offerred the job this week haha....

We will be all going over together, as at the moment its my job that is demanding me over ASAP!!

I think going down the route of having an agency might be too costly 35 dhs per hour, especially for the summer hols.

How long does it take to actually process visas for family - probably like asking how long is a piece of string I guess?!? (but approx)
You are learning fast,I note the rhetoric.
Six weeks you say? Takes you into highest temperatures and humidity but quietest time re admin and visa process.You should be complete before the go slow of Ramadan which kicks in around August.
Is it possible for you to go in advance?By far the easiest if one of you goes out to do all the groundwork.
Your potential Employer may have a good PRO who can take the strain of setting up off you somewhat by doing a lot of the paperwork.
No set time for having anything completed.All a bit of a wing and a prayer really.Thousands get through it though and live happily ever after.
Good luck with it all.
Old May 13th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
you will soon learn that it is not possible to do these sort of things quickly.

from starting the process to having a maid was 6 weeks for us... which, I am told, was actually quite quick.

You will need a visa before you can start the process.
I sponsored my maid and it took 5 days. that included transfering her sponsorship, medical checks etc. There was a slight problem when they told me at immigration that a single woman could not sponsor a maid.
A male immigration officer asked me why I needed a maid if I was single..I told him "well, unlike you, I don't have a wife to pick up after me" a slight pause...intake of breath by the local ladies sitting nearby... he then laughed and stamped my papers :-)
Old May 14th 2010, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

could your hubbie look after the kids to start or will he be working immediately as well...?

even if the visa thing is out, it may take you a while to find the right helper...someone you feel comfortable with and whom you trust with your children...especially if they are going to live with you...

there are lots of summer camps, but many finish at lunchtime...

MM, xx
Old May 14th 2010, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
I sponsored my maid and it took 5 days. that included transfering her sponsorship, medical checks etc. There was a slight problem when they told me at immigration that a single woman could not sponsor a maid.
A male immigration officer asked me why I needed a maid if I was single..I told him "well, unlike you, I don't have a wife to pick up after me" a slight pause...intake of breath by the local ladies sitting nearby... he then laughed and stamped my papers :-)
She was already in the country I take it?

The problem I had was getting one here in the first place. After a few weeks of trying I found one already here - sponsorship took a couple of weeks but she was with us working before the papers arrived.
Old May 14th 2010, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Husband would also be working straight away too. I knew we woud need a nanny but completely forgot that we'd need to have our visas in place to sponsor her!

I think we're going to have to try and go down the agency route, just to begin with, can't see any other choices. Even with summer camps, finish at lunch time so will still need someone to help as technically don't finish work until 4.30.

Unless - could ones employer sponsor her, until we have our papers in place then transfer it over? Just an idea?
Old May 14th 2010, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Oooh also, could we techincally hire a nanny whilst we are waiting for our visa to come through?

e.g. whilst our sponsor is submitting our visa, could we also submit our nanny's visa at the same time? Or do we need to provide evidence of our own visa at the time?

Hope that makes sense?
Old May 14th 2010, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Husband would also be working straight away too. I knew we woud need a nanny but completely forgot that we'd need to have our visas in place to sponsor her!

I think we're going to have to try and go down the agency route, just to begin with, can't see any other choices. Even with summer camps, finish at lunch time so will still need someone to help as technically don't finish work until 4.30.

Unless - could ones employer sponsor her, until we have our papers in place then transfer it over? Just an idea?
but you still need to find this person...it's not going to happen in a day...that's the point...can't you bring a parent/friend over or leave the kids until you find someone suitable...

it's a pretty big decision finding someone to leave your kids with...i wouldn't be happy just leaving mine with an agency person who doesn't give a monkeys about them...

MM, xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.