Spoken Arabic

Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:44 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of
Default Spoken Arabic

I'm toying with the idea of doing a spoken Arabic course.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for good companies offering such tuition?

Thanks
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:17 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spoken Arabic

Suggest you give this a look...

http://archive.gulfnews.com/uae/uaes.../10081709.html
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:20 am
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Ned, can I ask why you want to do a 'spoken' language course only? Surely if you going to the trouble of learning to speak a language you may as well learn to write it, too?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:26 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
Cheers
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:29 am
Now 15% less offensive

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
Ned, can I ask why you want to do a 'spoken' language course only? Surely if you going to the trouble of learning to speak a language you may as well learn to write it, too?
Good question. I just thought it would be a bit too much for me (right to left, funky alphabet) and as Spoken Arabic is offered as a specifc course at SMCCU - I guessed that others thought the same way.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:35 am
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly63
Good question. I just thought it would be a bit too much for me (right to left, funky alphabet) and as Spoken Arabic is offered as a specifc course at SMCCU - I guessed that others thought the same way.
It really isn't that difficult. You get into the habit of reading/writing right to left really quickly. I have been learning Arabic for a few weeks now, and although I have the advantage of also speaking other languages (including one other with a different alphabet), I do not think Arabic is overly difficult.

If you were in AD I could recommend an excellent teacher!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:41 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly63
Good question. I just thought it would be a bit too much for me (right to left, funky alphabet)
Written Arabic is very easy to learn. I did it in about three weeks (seriously). It does look daunting at first, but you quickly realise just how straightforward it is.

It's certainly much easier than the spoken language, where exact pronunciation and use of the correct accent are essential if you are to be understood. Even tiny variations in inflection and modulation can make the difference between someone understanding you and just looking at you blankly.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:45 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Eeyore - three weeks? Was this a part-time or full time thing? How/where please? - thanks

I'd be interested if it really can be that quick.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:04 am

ScotsExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
Eeyore - three weeks? Was this a part-time or full time thing? How/where please? - thanks

I'd be interested if it really can be that quick.
As would I........
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Written Arabic is very easy to learn. I did it in about three weeks (seriously). It does look daunting at first, but you quickly realise just how straightforward it is.

It's certainly much easier than the spoken language, where exact pronunciation and use of the correct accent are essential if you are to be understood. Even tiny variations in inflection and modulation can make the difference between someone understanding you and just looking at you blankly.
Ditto on that - it is easy to learn to read. It's understanding what you're reading that's trickier!!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Eeyore, sounds like you have a new job. Count me in on it as well. I want to know what I am signing!! lol
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:20 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

It was learning in my own time. I think I'm just lucky in that I have a good memory for that sort of thing

A few years back I learned the two Japanese syllabaries, hiragana and katakana, in a week each, just using a sort of flashcard game on my mobile phone on the train to and from work. As with learning written Arabic, it's really nothing more than memorising shapes.

Bear in mind that while I can read Arabic, I can only actually understand about 1% of what I'm reading It still impresses the hell out of native speakers when you can read Arabic script out loud, though, even if you don't know what it means - they don't expect Westerners to have any knowledge of the language whatsoever.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:25 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Was there a specific book that you used?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
they don't expect Westerners to have any knowledge of the language whatsoever.
Thats what I want to be like. I'd love to be in a meeting and when they go off on a tangent speaking their language I'd be able to listen in and tell what they were saying. I don't think I'd let anyone know I knew! That way I'd know if they were bad mouthing me or my company!!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris79
Thats what I want to be like. I'd love to be in a meeting and when they go off on a tangent speaking their language I'd be able to listen in and tell what they were saying. I don't think I'd let anyone know I knew! That way I'd know if they were bad mouthing me or my company!!
Hey, why don't you join me Sunday and Wednesday nights with Ahmed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.