British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Speeding fines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/speeding-fines-268163/)

Palm Tree Nov 23rd 2004 7:16 am

Speeding fines

I read an Article in the Gulf News a few days back that there have been boxes placed randomly along SZR and moved around periodically, so people couldn't just break before a camera and then speed on. My heart stopped and I raced to the computer to check up on any fines as I feared the worst. To my first delight, there were only two fines. One which was from back in June taken by one of those mobile boxes on Al Wasl road (bastards) but under closer inspection, the second fine is from a Friday morning during Ramadan and since I don't have to do a school run, I stay in. I will have to call Dubai Police and enquire about it.

Has anyone encountered false fines and was made to pay for it? Can I request a picture? I have heard that some people are wizzards at waiving fines but all they do, is pass it on to someone else.

I have meanwhile driven along the middle of SZR and spied for the boxes but couln't see any. Probably just a media gimmick to get normal people to slow down. As if other racers would give a toss about such boxes, as they don't even break for the usual cameras.

Jellybean Nov 23rd 2004 7:40 am

Re: Speeding fines

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
I read an Article in the Gulf News a few days back that there have been boxes placed randomly along SZR and moved around periodically, so people couldn't just break before a camera and then speed on. My heart stopped and I raced to the computer to check up on any fines as I feared the worst. To my first delight, there were only two fines. One which was from back in June taken by one of those mobile boxes on Al Wasl road (bastards) but under closer inspection, the second fine is from a Friday morning during Ramadan and since I don't have to do a school run, I stay in. I will have to call Dubai Police and enquire about it.

Has anyone encountered false fines and was made to pay for it? Can I request a picture? I have heard that some people are wizzards at waiving fines but all they do, is pass it on to someone else.

I have meanwhile driven along the middle of SZR and spied for the boxes but couln't see any. Probably just a media gimmick to get normal people to slow down. As if other racers would give a toss about such boxes, as they don't even break for the usual cameras.

PT how do you check online, can you pass on the info/address please :)

Palm Tree Nov 23rd 2004 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Jellybean

ARE YOU SCARED? :scared:

Check www.dxbtraffic.gov.ae

Click on English and you should be able to find your way through until you get to the bit where you have to give info about your number plate. It is enough to just type in the number plate and colour. You could check anybodies account if you know their number plate. Just have a peak out of your window and check out your neighbours cars. Just came up with the idea actually, could be a good laugh.

Truth Speak Nov 23rd 2004 7:49 am

go here http://www.dxbtraffic.gov.ae/newSite/en/default.asp

go to violations - u can pay by Ccard - have yr reg number at the ready.

I just had to pay 4000AED for two fines the day before I re registered. One of them was suspect as my car was in the office car park at the time.... haven't got the time to argue though!!

Jellybean Nov 23rd 2004 7:59 am

Thanks peeps, just checked and amazingly I am ticket free LOL :D

Truth Speak Nov 23rd 2004 8:02 am

Thanks peeps, just checked and amazingly I am ticket free LOL :D

Its best to check all police districts if you drive in other areas.

Arn't u the careful driver.... or r u just lucky!!

Jellybean Nov 23rd 2004 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Its best to check all police districts if you drive in other areas.

Arn't u the careful driver.... or r u just lucky!!

No I only drive in Jumeira LOL

I must be just damn lucky I guess :p

LakesLassie Nov 23rd 2004 8:39 am

No I only drive in Jumeira LOL

I must be just damn lucky I guess :p

That's where I always get done! Beach Road is the worst. Try to avoid now or be really careful not to go over 80. :(

novita77 Nov 23rd 2004 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
go here http://www.dxbtraffic.gov.ae/newSite/en/default.asp

go to violations - u can pay by Ccard - have yr reg number at the ready.

I just had to pay 4000AED for two fines the day before I re registered. One of them was suspect as my car was in the office car park at the time.... haven't got the time to argue though!!

that a lot of money to pay... u can fly to the UK and back with that. And still have some change on it... :eek:

Jeeper Nov 23rd 2004 9:20 am

ARE YOU SCARED? :scared:

Check www.dxbtraffic.gov.ae

Click on English and you should be able to find your way through until you get to the bit where you have to give info about your number plate. It is enough to just type in the number plate and colour. You could check anybodies account if you know their number plate. Just have a peak out of your window and check out your neighbours cars. Just came up with the idea actually, could be a good laugh.

I had a parking fine on the website - haven't paid it....and now it says I have no fines to be displayed?!?!?

Palm Tree Nov 23rd 2004 9:31 am

Originally Posted by novita77
that a lot of money to pay... u can fly to the UK and back with that. And still have some change on it... :eek:

I think he meant Dhs 400. His finger must have been trembelling.

novita77 Nov 23rd 2004 10:28 am

I think he meant Dhs 400. His finger must have been trembelling.

That is the amount what speeding fines we pay in Doha (hubby got one last year... :) ). If TS paid 4.000DHS speeding fines and can't be bother to ask and check about it he must be very well paid... hehehe...

DubaiExpat Nov 23rd 2004 11:53 am

Have checked my car number, oh dear GOD :eek: I will pay them off the c card later, mind you most of the fines probably came from the Beach Road as well, never even had an accident before!!!! :rolleyes:

Jellybean Nov 23rd 2004 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
Have checked my car number, oh dear GOD :eek: I will pay them off the c card later, mind you most of the fines probably came from the Beach Road as well, never even had an accident before!!!! :rolleyes:

LOLOL bad dobby DE bad girl...sorry just feeling good about my zero tickets :D

Face81 Nov 23rd 2004 5:22 pm

No new boxes have been put up...... think it was an old article used to throw the manic drivers into a frenzy...... they are getting very carried away with the mobile radars though..... the sneaky bastards pull up in a lay by and swing open the boots of their crappy blue Camrys and wait for ya..... especially on Wasl road and the Beach Road.... saw one this PM by the Burj and he was flashing that bloody cam at everyone..... hopefully i didnt get done for doing 85k's...... I have never been ticketed b4, but hey..... it'll b an experience if he did catch me. :D

just gave u some karma aswell for ur radar phobia. lol