British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Soon to be Jeddah Expat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/soon-jeddah-expat-856565/)

aberdeenfc Apr 16th 2015 8:02 pm

Soon to be Jeddah Expat

Hi All

I'm due to head out to Jeddah to commence work mid June so thought I would check in to see if anyone has experience to allow answers to the following questions:

1. I am married and have family status but will head out alone on mobilisation. My wife plans to join in mid August. When she is in Kindgom does anyone know how long her Iqama and multi visa process is likely to take? She may have unavoidable travel in September, hence my question
2. Has anyone else got experience of an expat assignment in Jeddah ? I wondered if anyone could shed light on compounds that would be worth exploring for a british expat? My company provides an allowance of approx 175k annually and we would be looking for a 2 bed but ideally somewhere where other brits reside and where there is a decent community/social activity
3. My wife works as a dentist back home Any indications of likelihood of her picking up work in Jeddah?
4. Long shot but is anyone aware of any kickboxing, K1 or muay thai clubs either in the local community or in the compounds?

Any help appreciated! Thanks in advance

super_hans Apr 20th 2015 10:59 am

Re: Soon to be Jeddah Expat

Hi and welcome to lovely Jeddah.
1. Depends on how long it takes you to get your Iqama, as you sponsor your wife and family. Would have thought it should be done by September though.
2. 175K would certainly get you a 2 bed place in a compound here, bigger question is whether you can find one. Most popular compounds tend to be the Arabian Homes sites, Andalus, Sierra, Al Basateen is very popular and handy for the British school.
3. No idea, but I don't see why not.
4. Not an enquiry I've ever made.

I can give you a few more tips on securing a decent social life, probably best send me a pm.

mentalist Apr 21st 2015 4:35 am

August in Jeddah or August in the UK? I know which I would choose. Suggest to your wife that she moves to Jeddah after her unavoidable trip in September. You will survive alone easily enough.

TGFKASE Apr 21st 2015 6:29 am

No idea about Jeddah, but just wanted to say Stand Free...

COYR....

nonthaburi Apr 21st 2015 7:42 am

Once your wife arrives it should be fairly straightforward to get the Iqamas. My wife and kids got their within a week of arriving. Be aware that you will need the yellow slip from the ministry to send to them before they can come.

Second that about coming in August, why not put it off for a month?

Gives you time to find your feet a bit, and get things ready for when they do come.

aberdeenfc Apr 21st 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks for all the replies, magic stuff

Can I ask why the caution re August - I assume stifling heat/humidity at that time of year in Jeddah? Our original driver for wife arriving in September was our understanding at the time of posting that family must join within 90 days of me arriving - we now believe this is not a hard and fast rule.

Superhans - thanks, I will try to send you a pm now

TGFKASE - cheers...red and white...barmy army :)

aberdeenfc Apr 22nd 2015 6:54 pm

Superhans sorry couldn't PM you as I hadn't yet made 3 posts - this is my third so should manage now!

lemonpie Apr 24th 2015 1:04 pm

Iqamas for spouses can take time. Best compounds are Sierra and Andalus. They are run by a westerner. It makes a difference. My 5 yrs here would have been so much better if I had been in a different compound. Yep I know a female dentist who worked in Britain who has a job here. It is possible.

ibad Jul 6th 2015 5:56 pm

Can i get a decent 3 BR compound in 170k that is child-friendly? Any suggestions would be welcome

aberdeenfc Jul 7th 2015 10:33 am

Depends what u r looking for...it's possible to get a 3BR for 170k but not on Arabian, Hajrayn or Basateen based on the quotes they r giving me...these ones I've mentioned are the 'western' compounds I've found so far.