Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Something good about Saudi

Something good about Saudi

Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Something good about Saudi

I know its not normal but I went for a run with a Saudi bloke( English Educated) last week and it was one of the most pleaserable experiences of the year. We met at the DQ and did 10 miles round the outside. Trail was all off road and the weather was perfect. Company was very nice and the whole area is like a breath of fresh air for Riyadh. Women not covered from head to toe and it was nearly normal. The AKs at the gate were a bit scary but nothing too heavy and white face seemed to be the gate pass of choice.

Anyone wants any contact details PM me.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something good about Saudi

Need to get on the DQ jogging/cycling tip.

Silly question but did you wera running shorts or 3/4s or trackies?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The thought the answer to the question would be...

...the departure lounge
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

You can run in any normal running gear the even have women running in shorts. PM me and I'll send you the contact name. If you check out my Garmin profile Spartans53 the run is on there with a map of the trail.

Cheers
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156531200
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartans53
ooh I likes that. Is the Garmin 405cx a good purchase then?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

610 seems better 405CX doesnt like sweat too much in the summer. Works ok if you put a sweat band under it.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Got out the car and my running buddy says, "I was not happy with my run in the Dubai Marathon only did 2.58" then checked and he came second in the Creek Half. Luckily he ran with a weighted pack to slow him down to my pace.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
ooh I likes that. Is the Garmin 405cx a good purchase then?
When it's working it's great, but there are one or two firmware issues I've experienced, and when I've investigated, a number of other people have similar issues (it's about the watch thinking it has no battery when in fact it's fully charged).

All in all a bit temperamental for something of that price.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Spot on ML
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by spartans53
We met at the DQ and did 10 miles round the outside.
Wow 10 miles is a lot, I can barely run 5 miles round Prince Sultan Uni.

Sorry for being naive, but do you need to pass some checkpoints to get into the area you were running in? I guess it is a non Mutawwa zone then?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

There is a big check point withlots of big guns at the Entry Gate but just got waved through. My contact said just say you are visiting a friend or an Embassy. Turn Left at the first round about and the car park is there.