Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The solution to the traffic problems?

The solution to the traffic problems?

Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default The solution to the traffic problems?

I read in Emirates Today yesterday that the RTA are now considering a network of shaded (by trees, presumably) cycle paths around Dubai. As the weather is fairly bike friendly for 8 months of the year and Dubai is pretty flat all year do you think this could be a better solution to our traffic woes than the well thought out () Salik? Would you use a network of bike paths in Dubai if they kept you away from the Landcruisers?
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The solution to the traffic problems?

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
I read in Emirates Today yesterday that the RTA are now considering a network of shaded (by trees, presumably) cycle paths around Dubai. As the weather is fairly bike friendly for 8 months of the year and Dubai is pretty flat all year do you think this could be a better solution to our traffic woes than the well thought out () Salik? Would you use a network of bike paths in Dubai if they kept you away from the Landcruisers?
what makes you think that the Landcruiser drivers wont use the cycle paths??
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I was thinking the landcruiser drivers would just move to great big mountain bikes and wear 100% tint sunglasses. Hopefully then they would just ride off into the nearest palm tree and knock some sense into themselves without hurting anybody else.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:33 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I definately would...back home (Holland) I went everywhere on my bike...it's one of the few things I miss...
Not to go to work though, but for taking the kids to school, running a small errand or just for fun during the weekend it would be brilliant...
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:50 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I'd definitely cycle to and from work, if I was on a safe path entirely separated from traffic. It'd be quite pleasant during the winter.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MataHari
I definately would...back home (Holland) I went everywhere on my bike...it's one of the few things I miss...
Not to go to work though, but for taking the kids to school, running a small errand or just for fun during the weekend it would be brilliant...
I heard that you were a good ride...
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 12:58 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I heard that you were a good ride...
yeah, I even went round France on a proper racing bike, but that was years ago...still I am pretty fit now...

(and watch it)
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, I even went round France on a proper racing bike, but that was years ago...still I am pretty fit now...

(and watch it)
is the white bicycle of amsterdam for real, or just an urban myth?
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:05 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
is the white bicycle of amsterdam for real, or just an urban myth?
no, it did exist, not sure if it still does...it's a bit of a knit your own yogurt thing and it never took on properly...
they have a similar thing with cars, where you share a car between a load of people...
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

no, it did exist, not sure if it still does...it's a bit of a knit your own yogurt thing and it never took on properly...
they have a similar thing with cars, where you share a car between a load of people...
oh, i'm a sucker for the organic beard brigade..... i have an inner swampy.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:09 pm
hmmmm...nice

oh, i'm a sucker for the organic beard brigade..... i have an inner swampy.
I am completely ignoring that bit of you...
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am completely ignoring that bit of you...
that's ok, he only hugs trees...
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:12 pm
hmmmm...nice

that's ok, he only hugs trees...
bark bark
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=MataHari;5344416]yeah, I even went round France on a proper racing bike, but that was years ago...still I am pretty fit now... Yours truly cycled around Normandy and Brittany many moons ago...but I wouldn't class myself as being fit now.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bark bark

you're getting better at this english humour thing. i actually snickered there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.