Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

So...who's going to be shopping at Graff then...

So...who's going to be shopping at Graff then...

Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:36 am
W10

Default So...who's going to be shopping at Graff then...

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Polic.../10121909.html

Ignore the bit about the plastic gun (incidentally I have been told in the video you can clearly hear gunshots being fired but I haven't seen it with sound yet) but this paragraph:

Brigadier Khamis Mattar Al Mazeina, Director of Dubai Police's Criminal Investigation Department (CID), said the department enquired about the value of the stolen jewellery after the robbery which was Dh14,780,000, as the shop owners presented the real prices.

"The previous value announced was after adding the price of the jewellery along with the profit," he said.

So the value of the jewellery was Dh14m, but the price of the jewellery for retail was Dh50m!!!!!

Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:54 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So...who's going to be shopping at Graff then...

Originally Posted by W10

Ignore the bit about the plastic gun (incidentally I have been told in the video you can clearly hear gunshots being fired but I haven't seen it with sound yet) but this paragraph:

Brigadier Khamis Mattar Al Mazeina, Director of Dubai Police's Criminal Investigation Department (CID), said the department enquired about the value of the stolen jewellery after the robbery which was Dh14,780,000, as the shop owners presented the real prices.

"The previous value announced was after adding the price of the jewellery along with the profit," he said.

So the value of the jewellery was Dh14m, but the price of the jewellery for retail was Dh50m!!!!!
Fascinating...here is a gang that have had committed over a hundred robberies across Europe, are hunted from Interpol.

But they make the mistake of crossing the police here.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:41 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I am well and truly amazed at the outcome of this, I thought they would have been well gone! half the stuff that was in the paper this morning didn't even look like Graff.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:56 am
W10

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I am well and truly amazed at the outcome of this, I thought they would have been well gone! half the stuff that was in the paper this morning didn't even look like Graff.
No really...you think they could have just made it up?

Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
No really...you think they could have just made it up?
I hope not!! But I didn't think they would catch them
Old Apr 30th 2007, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

36 million profit margin!!!!Outrageous!!!!

The most that should be allowed to add on the real price should be 50 dirhams...And I am being generous...
Old Apr 30th 2007, 5:44 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

maybe they did, maybe they didnt, but dont forget that the police and especially CID have powers here that interpol can only dream of.

If they worked with someone locally then there is a good chance that CID could find that person very quickly and since that person would have been "encouraged" to talk in a vigorous manner it is possible that they got some names or solid leads.

Interpol may well have known who these people were but due to due process were unable to do much,
where as here.......
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:31 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Surely those items recovered are second hand now!?

I might pop down and try to haggle with them

Is parking there still a nightmare or can i still park right outside the shop??
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:16 am
W10

There are probably more cars in the Wafi car park than there are shoppers in the mall

Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:51 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by W10
There are probably more cars in the Wafi car park than there are shoppers in the mall
that always amazes me, you get there, the car park is mobbed and then when you get inside there is no one there!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:35 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Surely those items recovered are second hand now!?

I might pop down and try to haggle with them

Is parking there still a nightmare or can i still park right outside the shop??
PMSL especially the parking bit
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
that always amazes me, you get there, the car park is mobbed and then when you get inside there is no one there!
WGS...Wafi Gourmet Syndrome...
Old May 1st 2007, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
36 million profit margin!!!!Outrageous!!!!

The most that should be allowed to add on the real price should be 50 dirhams...And I am being generous...
When are they going to arrest the shop owner?
Old May 1st 2007, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
When are they going to arrest the shop owner?
soon as they arrest the property developer