British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   To smoke, or not to smoke? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/smoke-not-smoke-506599/)

NorthernLad Jan 16th 2008 5:43 am

To smoke, or not to smoke?

A good incentive to dig out my Allen Carr book.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Society/10182207.html

Meow Jan 16th 2008 5:56 am

Re: To smoke, or not to smoke?

Many places are going to lose some serious custom. I walked past The Agency in Emirates Towers one evening the other week, when it should have been heaving, but there were just 2 people in there.

Fact is smokers spend money on booze etc. No smoking = less customers.

Inselaffen Jan 16th 2008 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 5795249)
Many places are going to lose some serious custom. I walked past The Agency in Emirates Towers one evening the other week, when it should have been heaving, but there were just 2 people in there.

Fact is smokers spend money on booze etc. No smoking = less customers.

sorry but thats crap. If all bars and restaurants are non-smoking then people will go to them. The Agency in Emirates Towers will only lose business whilst other bars still allow smoking.

In Ireland bars and restaurants have reported an increase in business due to the smoking ban. I for one will be looking forward to the day when i can go out for a drink and not come back stinking because of other peoples habits.

Blue Cat Jan 16th 2008 6:05 am

met a guy in the UK, whose pal owned a chain of pubs/eateries - heading to bankruptcy. He wasn't alone :o

Inselaffen Jan 16th 2008 6:12 am

In Ireland Pubs and Restaurants suffered an initial loss in trade immediately after the ban but then trade increased to levels in excess of those seen before the ban.

The pub/restaurant trade has always had a high incidence of failure. Now they can conveniently blame it on the smoking ban. I lived in Nottingham from 2005 to 2006 and there it seemed that half the pubs in the city were boarded up.

Lets face it how many people back in the UK are really going to sit at home on a Friday or Saturday night because they can't smoke in pubs? It just isn't going to happen.

Meow Jan 16th 2008 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5795260)
sorry but thats crap. If all bars and restaurants are non-smoking then people will go to them. The Agency in Emirates Towers will only lose business whilst other bars still allow smoking.

In Ireland bars and restaurants have reported an increase in business due to the smoking ban. I for one will be looking forward to the day when i can go out for a drink and not come back stinking because of other peoples habits.

No it isn't. But, hey you carry on being so stroppy :rolleyes:

Edit> And there are a lot more smokers here, as a percentage of those who can afford to go to bars etc, than in the UK.

NorthernLad Jan 16th 2008 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5795260)

Will smoking be banned in open air places - e.g. Irish Village, Barasti, Left Bank?

If so, enclosed bars (Agency, Scarletts, Apres etc...) may feel the effect.

Unless they improvise... http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2655704.html

NorthernLad Jan 16th 2008 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5795262)
met a guy in the UK, whose pal owned a chain of pubs/eateries - heading to bankruptcy. He wasn't alone :o

Gala Bingos were 40% down on takings. Gutted.

Blue Cat Jan 16th 2008 6:33 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 5795287)
Gala Bingos were 40% down on takings. Gutted.

so was the Mecca in Shields :lol:

Inselaffen Jan 16th 2008 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 5795279)
No it isn't. But, hey you carry on being so stroppy :rolleyes:

Edit> And there are a lot more smokers here, as a percentage of those who can afford to go to bars etc, than in the UK.

no its ok. thats my monthly strop done and over with :)

Cypselos Jan 16th 2008 8:57 am

there wasn't any drop off in numbers in the pubs i went to in london back last summer when they banned it there. you've got to be a pretty hardened human chimney to decide you'll sit at home on your own with a bottle of sherry and a pack of fags rather than go to the pub. they'll not see any sginifcant hit on trade unless it's piecemeal.

that said it's bloody interfering. i don't smoke, but i don't really give a toss if anyone else does. they pay enough tax on it in the UK. if there was a business case for non smoking pubs for all those delicate souls who didn't go out for fear of getting smokey hair they'd have existed long ago. they don't.

Inselaffen Jan 16th 2008 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Cypselos (Post 5795764)
there wasn't any drop off in numbers in the pubs i went to in london back last summer when they banned it there. you've got to be a pretty hardened human chimney to decide you'll sit at home on your own with a bottle of sherry and a pack of fags rather than go to the pub. they'll not see any sginifcant hit on trade unless it's piecemeal.

that said it's bloody interfering. i don't smoke, but i don't really give a toss if anyone else does. they pay enough tax on it in the UK. if there was a business case for non smoking pubs for all those delicate souls who didn't go out for fear of getting smokey hair they'd have existed long ago. they don't.

there have been nights where I havnt gone out to the pub just for that very reason. Because I didnt want stinging eyes and to smell like the bottom of an ashtray when I got home.

Madam Medusa Jan 16th 2008 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5795832)
there have been nights where I havnt gone out to the pub just for that very reason. Because I didnt want stinging eyes and to smell like the bottom of an ashtray when I got home.

oh dear...our shisha lounge probably isn't the best place for you then, lol...

MM, xx

Inselaffen Jan 16th 2008 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5795861)
oh dear...our shisha lounge probably isn't the best place for you then, lol...

MM, xx

Shisha isnt bad. doesnt sting the eyes and doesnt stink like fags!

Eeyore Jan 16th 2008 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Cypselos (Post 5795764)
there wasn't any drop off in numbers in the pubs i went to in london back last summer when they banned it there

No, the pubs were just as full as ever when we were back over Xmas.

It's true that pubs that were teetering on the brink of failure were probably pushed over the edge by the smoking ban, but as a general rule the only downside to publicans has been that they've had to replace the carpeting in their premises, because without the fug of fag smoke to hide it, the stink of the carpets was unbearable :lol:

you've got to be a pretty hardened human chimney to decide you'll sit at home on your own with a bottle of sherry and a pack of fags rather than go to the pub
People just go outside for a fag now, then come back into the pub afterwards. If that means they smoke fewer fags in a typical night at the pub, so much the better for them.