Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Smart Casual in Dubai

Smart Casual in Dubai

Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

samSG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Smart Casual in Dubai

I'll be going to Dubai next week and have a dinner reservation at a nice restaurant where the dress code is "smart casual".

I tried googling the term and it came up with such a range of answers, from tshirt/polo + jeans, to shirt + jeans, to shirt + pants + blazer.

What is "smart casual" in this part of the world? Help!

Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:07 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Smart Casual in Dubai

Originally Posted by samSG
I'll be going to Dubai next week and have a dinner reservation at a nice restaurant where the dress code is "smart casual".

I tried googling the term and it came up with such a range of answers, from tshirt/polo + jeans, to shirt + jeans, to shirt + pants + blazer.

No shorts or sleeveless tops. Apart from that, just about anything goes, it's a casual place.

Maybe better to post which restaurant for clearer feedback.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
No shorts or sleeveless tops. Apart from that, just about anything goes, it's a casual place.

Maybe better to post which restaurant for clearer feedback.
yeah, and no flip flops/open sandals for guys too...but as roadking says, post which restaurant it is and we will be able to give you a better steer...

MM, xx
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:09 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I'd plump for a slightly dressier version of "smart casual" in the UK - for blokes, jeans/casual trousers and a shirt and for women, skirt/trousers and a nice top or a dress. Nice shoes. ALWAYS wear nice shoes.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

wow, very fast response! i'll be going to Verre.. was going to book Al Muntaha until i read some bad reviews!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

wow, very fast response! i'll be going to Verre Creek.. was going to book Al Muntaha until i read some bad reviews!
that is at the "smarter" end of restaurants...you don't usually see people in there in jeans for example, but you won't be turned away as long as you obey the rules we posted above, lol...enjoy, it's been closed for a while so will be interesting to see what it's like now...

MM, xx
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
that is at the "smarter" end of restaurants...you don't usually see people in there in jeans for example, but you won't be turned away as long as you obey the rules we posted above, lol...enjoy, it's been closed for a while so will be interesting to see what it's like now...

MM, xx
thanks, that's what i wanted to know. i didn't want to be the only one in jeans!

why was it closed?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thanks, that's what i wanted to know. i didn't want to be the only one in jeans!

why was it closed?
it has been refurbed, and they have added a chef's table in the kitchen etc...the interior wasn't great before...sure you'll have a lovely time...

MM, xx
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
it has been refurbed, and they have added a chef's table in the kitchen etc...the interior wasn't great before...sure you'll have a lovely time...

MM, xx
i suspect that anything will seem good to me since i have been stuck in the magic kingdom for the past month!

Last edited by samSG; Mar 17th 2010 at 10:21 am.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:19 am