British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   slingbox in dubai? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/slingbox-dubai-506756/)

chris0_2001uk Jan 16th 2008 5:33 pm

slingbox in dubai?

anyone in dubai setup slingbox and have many sports channels such as art sports??????????

shakh your bootie Jan 17th 2008 1:37 pm

Re: slingbox in dubai?

Originally Posted by chris0_2001uk (Post 5797635)
anyone in dubai setup slingbox and have many sports channels such as art sports??????????

Chris - haven't tried it myself, but have heard mixed stories. Some people (esp those in freezones with no siteblocker problems) report that it works fine. Other people complain that the streamrate is much lower than normal. Some people can't get it to work at all....

There is no local support to help you with problems, and slingbox themselves don't offer advice on UAE-specific connexion issues....

Inselaffen Jan 18th 2008 8:43 am

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5800442)
Chris - haven't tried it myself, but have heard mixed stories. Some people (esp those in freezones with no siteblocker problems) report that it works fine. Other people complain that the streamrate is much lower than normal. Some people can't get it to work at all....

There is no local support to help you with problems, and slingbox themselves don't offer advice on UAE-specific connexion issues....

cant imagine it would work all that well with the incredibly slow but expensive internet we have here.

kaz911 Jan 26th 2008 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5804288)
cant imagine it would work all that well with the incredibly slow but expensive internet we have here.

Slingbox works perfectly - if you have a VPN connection out of Dubai.. They break up the traffic here - so slingbox traffic get "affected" by their traffic busters...

When I VPN out from a UAE 2mbit - i get 1mbit streaming from Denmark to Dubai - and my friend gets about the same. But ONLY with vpn.

You can buy VPN connections online - www.relakks.com (not a recomendation but a suggestion)

chris0_2001uk Jan 26th 2008 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by kaz911 (Post 5841766)
Slingbox works perfectly - if you have a VPN connection out of Dubai.. They break up the traffic here - so slingbox traffic get "affected" by their traffic busters...

When I VPN out from a UAE 2mbit - i get 1mbit streaming from Denmark to Dubai - and my friend gets about the same. But ONLY with vpn.

You can buy VPN connections online - www.relakks.com (not a recomendation but a suggestion)

Look cool, so are you going to send me the signals for some interesting channels??

Sam FTQ Jan 27th 2008 1:43 am

Originally Posted by kaz911 (Post 5841766)

But definitely acquire a VPN before you get here. For instance, that site is blocked. I quote:

We apologize the site you are attempting to visit has been blocked due to its content being inconsistent with the religious, cultural, political and moral values of the United Arab Emirates.

:cynicalsmilie:

Sam x

Eeyore Jan 27th 2008 10:34 am

The million-dirham question is, why bother with the expense and potential streaming problems of Slingbox when you can download pretty much everything worth watching on British and American TV the day after it gets broadcast, for free, and in better quality than you'll get from Slingbox anyway?