Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Skype & Internet phones??

Skype & Internet phones??

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

lofty1 has a spectacular aura aboutlofty1 has a spectacular aura aboutlofty1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Skype & Internet phones??

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying an internet phone so i can call home at skype rates - has anyone had success doing this? I did read that skype is banned by the local ISP?

I was suprised how cheap it is to rin back to the UK on a local mobile - is it not worth the fuss of skype?
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skype & Internet phones??

Originally Posted by lofty1
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying an internet phone so i can call home at skype rates - has anyone had success doing this? I did read that skype is banned by the local ISP?

I was suprised how cheap it is to rin back to the UK on a local mobile - is it not worth the fuss of skype?
I just use the laptop for all of my Skype needs and it works a treat. If your ISP blocks Skype access, I'd recommend finding yourself a new ISP!
Old Nov 24th 2007, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
If your ISP blocks Skype access, I'd recommend finding yourself a new ISP!
bit difficult when it's basically a monopoly here...

MM, xx
Old Nov 24th 2007, 4:11 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

MM is right - skype is blocked by Etisalat. We have similar problems in Kuwait. There are ways around it and if the calls using local phone network are cheap then it may not be worthwhile. However, my Skype is set up for the UK so call costs are based on UK Skype charges - it is as if my internet phone is based in the UK. You can set it up for other countries too - for example if you call usa a lot then set yourself up with a USA skype number and all your calls there will be local.

The way round it is to use a VPN and I don't know which one works in UAE. There is a cost to this and MM is right in being reserved. If you make 50 calls to the UK and lose a pound each time then you lose fifty pounds. If it costs fifty pound to set up the VPN then you break even. The cost of hassle can be enormous though.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 5:03 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb
If your ISP blocks Skype access, I'd recommend finding yourself a new ISP!
There's no competition in internet access here - this is Dubai, where things *look* capitalist and consumer-oriented on the surface, but in reality, actually aren't. It's all about monopolies here. Well, there *are* two separate telecoms operators now, but they're both owned by the government and are forbidden from competing against each other on price. You get the idea.

There are two ISPs, and which one you use depends entirely on where you live (although supposedly that's going to be changing... one day. Eventually. Maybe). One ISP has a heavy censorship policy, the other doesn't.

Originally Posted by Dago
The way round it is to use a VPN and I don't know which one works in UAE... If it costs fifty pound to set up the VPN then you break even. The cost of hassle can be enormous though
If you go for the most popular VPN, the cost is 146 dhs per year, and setup couldn't be easier. No hassle at all.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SSH Tunnelling (was Skype & Internet phones??)

Originally Posted by GarethR
There's no competition in internet access here - this is Dubai, where things *look* capitalist and consumer-oriented on the surface, but in reality, actually aren't. It's all about monopolies here. Well, there *are* two separate telecoms operators now, but they're both owned by the government and are forbidden from competing against each other on price. You get the idea.

There are two ISPs, and which one you use depends entirely on where you live (although supposedly that's going to be changing... one day. Eventually. Maybe). One ISP has a heavy censorship policy, the other doesn't.
I'm very sorry I didn't realise that. That'll teach me to stray from the Australian part of the forum.

Here is a potential solution for the geeks among you. I don't think Secure Shell (SSH) access is blocked from Dubai as I have managed to access my shell account (in London) from Dubai International Airport. You could get yourself an SSH account outside the UAE and tunnel all of your Internet traffic via that server.

Here are a few links to help you on your way:
  1. Free shell accounts (to find an account that matches your needs)
  2. HOWTO: Secure Firefox and IM with PuTTY (how to set up the tunnel)
  3. How do you force Skype to use proxy? (how to configure Skype to use the tunnel)

Good luck!

--paj

Last edited by Johnsyweb; Nov 24th 2007 at 7:10 am. Reason: Added point three to the list to make it more useful!
Old Nov 24th 2007, 3:07 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Nice one - and thanks
Old Nov 24th 2007, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

PC to PC by Skype works fine in Dubai. Its just when you want to call a phone that ist blocked.
Use a VPN as suggested and it will work no problem.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 5:56 pm
live life to the max

mythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
PC to PC by Skype works fine in Dubai. Its just when you want to call a phone that ist blocked.
so can you call and chat to the uk then
Old Nov 24th 2007, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mythic
so can you call and chat to the uk then
yes. and apparently it also lets you look at some naughty sites!
Old Nov 24th 2007, 6:01 pm
live life to the max

mythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond reputemythic has a reputation beyond repute

yes. and apparently it also lets you look at some naughty sites!
think i had best start using my skype then
Old Nov 25th 2007, 12:09 pm
Camel Spotting

Bubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mythic
think i had best start using my skype then
MSN with webcams work in Kuwait too. Better sound and piccie quality than Skype
Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Aziz has a brilliant futureAziz has a brilliant futureAziz has a brilliant futureAziz has a brilliant futureAziz has a brilliant futureAziz has a brilliant futureAziz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bubbauk
MSN with webcams work in Kuwait too. Better sound and piccie quality than Skype
Skype is pretty cheap in USA and Canada too
my friends pay abot $17 a month
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

NeedHelpNow is an unknown quantity at this point

I use VPN Services too from VpnAccounts (dot) com. Currently i believe the price is 14 USD

Big saving compared to using land lined to place calls@!#!$!%
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

my skype works just fine, PC to phone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.