British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Skype & Internet phones?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/skype-internet-phones-495923/)

lofty1 Nov 23rd 2007 9:02 pm

Skype & Internet phones??

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying an internet phone so i can call home at skype rates - has anyone had success doing this? I did read that skype is banned by the local ISP?

I was suprised how cheap it is to rin back to the UK on a local mobile - is it not worth the fuss of skype?

Johnsyweb Nov 23rd 2007 10:53 pm

Re: Skype & Internet phones??

Originally Posted by lofty1 (Post 5593633)
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying an internet phone so i can call home at skype rates - has anyone had success doing this? I did read that skype is banned by the local ISP?

I was suprised how cheap it is to rin back to the UK on a local mobile - is it not worth the fuss of skype?

I just use the laptop for all of my Skype needs and it works a treat. If your ISP blocks Skype access, I'd recommend finding yourself a new ISP!

Madam Medusa Nov 24th 2007 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb (Post 5594064)
If your ISP blocks Skype access, I'd recommend finding yourself a new ISP!

bit difficult when it's basically a monopoly here...

MM, xx

Dago Nov 24th 2007 4:11 am

MM is right - skype is blocked by Etisalat. We have similar problems in Kuwait. There are ways around it and if the calls using local phone network are cheap then it may not be worthwhile. However, my Skype is set up for the UK so call costs are based on UK Skype charges - it is as if my internet phone is based in the UK. You can set it up for other countries too - for example if you call usa a lot then set yourself up with a USA skype number and all your calls there will be local.

The way round it is to use a VPN and I don't know which one works in UAE. There is a cost to this and MM is right in being reserved. If you make 50 calls to the UK and lose a pound each time then you lose fifty pounds. If it costs fifty pound to set up the VPN then you break even. The cost of hassle can be enormous though.

Eeyore Nov 24th 2007 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Johnsyweb (Post 5594064)
If your ISP blocks Skype access, I'd recommend finding yourself a new ISP!

There's no competition in internet access here - this is Dubai, where things *look* capitalist and consumer-oriented on the surface, but in reality, actually aren't. It's all about monopolies here. Well, there *are* two separate telecoms operators now, but they're both owned by the government and are forbidden from competing against each other on price. You get the idea.

There are two ISPs, and which one you use depends entirely on where you live (although supposedly that's going to be changing... one day. Eventually. Maybe). One ISP has a heavy censorship policy, the other doesn't.

Originally Posted by Dago
The way round it is to use a VPN and I don't know which one works in UAE... If it costs fifty pound to set up the VPN then you break even. The cost of hassle can be enormous though

If you go for the most popular VPN, the cost is 146 dhs per year, and setup couldn't be easier. No hassle at all.

Johnsyweb Nov 24th 2007 6:59 am

Re: SSH Tunnelling (was Skype & Internet phones??)

Originally Posted by GarethR (Post 5594753)
There's no competition in internet access here - this is Dubai, where things *look* capitalist and consumer-oriented on the surface, but in reality, actually aren't. It's all about monopolies here. Well, there *are* two separate telecoms operators now, but they're both owned by the government and are forbidden from competing against each other on price. You get the idea.

There are two ISPs, and which one you use depends entirely on where you live (although supposedly that's going to be changing... one day. Eventually. Maybe). One ISP has a heavy censorship policy, the other doesn't.

I'm very sorry I didn't realise that. That'll teach me to stray from the Australian part of the forum.

Here is a potential solution for the geeks among you. I don't think Secure Shell (SSH) access is blocked from Dubai as I have managed to access my shell account (in London) from Dubai International Airport. You could get yourself an SSH account outside the UAE and tunnel all of your Internet traffic via that server.

Here are a few links to help you on your way:
  1. Free shell accounts (to find an account that matches your needs)
  2. HOWTO: Secure Firefox and IM with PuTTY (how to set up the tunnel)
  3. How do you force Skype to use proxy? (how to configure Skype to use the tunnel)

Good luck!

--paj

Dago Nov 24th 2007 3:07 pm

Nice one - and thanks

Inselaffen Nov 24th 2007 5:54 pm

PC to PC by Skype works fine in Dubai. Its just when you want to call a phone that ist blocked.
Use a VPN as suggested and it will work no problem.

mythic Nov 24th 2007 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5596301)
PC to PC by Skype works fine in Dubai. Its just when you want to call a phone that ist blocked.

so can you call and chat to the uk then

Inselaffen Nov 24th 2007 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by mythic (Post 5596309)
so can you call and chat to the uk then

yes. and apparently it also lets you look at some naughty sites!

mythic Nov 24th 2007 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5596321)
yes. and apparently it also lets you look at some naughty sites!

think i had best start using my skype then:p

Bubbauk Nov 25th 2007 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by mythic (Post 5596327)
think i had best start using my skype then:p

MSN with webcams work in Kuwait too. Better sound and piccie quality than Skype

Aziz Dec 1st 2007 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bubbauk (Post 5598142)
MSN with webcams work in Kuwait too. Better sound and piccie quality than Skype

Skype is pretty cheap in USA and Canada too
my friends pay abot $17 a month

NeedHelpNow Dec 4th 2007 3:42 pm

I use VPN Services too from VpnAccounts (dot) com. Currently i believe the price is 14 USD

Big saving compared to using land lined to place calls@!#!$!%

arbroath_abroad Dec 4th 2007 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5596301)

my skype works just fine, PC to phone?:confused: