British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Skype Help Needed!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/skype-help-needed-569783/)

stevely76 Oct 28th 2008 9:53 am

Skype Help Needed!!!

Hi. Just need to check with you guys that video calls from Skype to Skype DO work okay in Dubai. I'm sure this topic has arisen many times but i just want to be sure before my girlfriend moves out to Dubai. I need to make sure her laptop has everything she needs to be able to rely on Skype to contact the UK. I hope someone can advise. Thank you in advance.

Inselaffen Oct 28th 2008 10:15 am

Re: Skype Help Needed!!!

Originally Posted by stevely76 (Post 6917191)
Hi. Just need to check with you guys that video calls from Skype to Skype DO work okay in Dubai. I'm sure this topic has arisen many times but i just want to be sure before my girlfriend moves out to Dubai. I need to make sure her laptop has everything she needs to be able to rely on Skype to contact the UK. I hope someone can advise. Thank you in advance.

yes skype to skype does work. usually

nottmbantam Oct 28th 2008 10:24 am

Cartainly don't have any problems with it here in Saudi. In fact, I use it to call UK landlines, works out quite cheap, around 1p per min. 10pounds worth of credit has lasted well over a month!

Of course, as Skype to Skype is free, its even better!

stevely76 Oct 28th 2008 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6917235)
yes skype to skype does work. usually

Thank you for your quick reply. I've been reading up on VPN's... will they make my connection more reliable?

DiveBunny Oct 29th 2008 8:23 am

Hi Stevely76

Yes, vpns are a good idea. You have to remember that VoIP is illegal in the UAE, so it's a good idea NOT to mention which you use on any forum, as we do find that they can get blocked! Happy to give you a good link if you contact me direct. You may also find that you can only download Skype onto your PC in the Uk or a freezone here - it's constantly changing!

But the best thing is that you can get to watch UK TV if you have one - can't do without Spooks :)

Chesney Hawkes Oct 29th 2008 4:58 pm

Hey sorry to butt in on your thread but you may be interested in my question also.....

The telephone sockets/connections in the UK are different to those here in the UAE. I was thinking about buying the independent skype phone so that it doesn't need to go through the computer but it will be a UK connection. Does anyone know if you can get adaptors here so i can plug the UK connection into that and then into the socket here????:confused:

Thanks,
CH

stevely76 Oct 30th 2008 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by DiveBunny (Post 6920903)
Hi Stevely76

Yes, vpns are a good idea. You have to remember that VoIP is illegal in the UAE, so it's a good idea NOT to mention which you use on any forum, as we do find that they can get blocked! Happy to give you a good link if you contact me direct. You may also find that you can only download Skype onto your PC in the Uk or a freezone here - it's constantly changing!

But the best thing is that you can get to watch UK TV if you have one - can't do without Spooks :)

Thanks DiveBunny,

I would be grateful for any advice or links you can direct me to. I did try to contact you but was unable due to limitations...

DiveBunny Oct 31st 2008 7:36 am

Not sure why that was! Email me at divebunnies at live dot co dot uk

fireman21 Dec 13th 2008 11:19 pm

video calls work on skype