British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Skype/ Etisalat question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/skype-etisalat-question-732184/)

Tdonnelly Sep 13th 2011 12:11 pm

Skype/ Etisalat question

My husband is using a temporary prepaid sim in Abu Dhabi on Etisalat and I was thinking of calling him from my skype account. Question is I've looked online but can't seem to get a definite answer. Does anyone know if he will be charged by etisalat for receiving skype call to his mobile from UK?

norsk Sep 13th 2011 2:25 pm

Re: Skype/ Etisalat question

Originally Posted by Tdonnelly (Post 9618018)
My husband is using a temporary prepaid sim in Abu Dhabi on Etisalat and I was thinking of calling him from my skype account. Question is I've looked online but can't seem to get a definite answer. Does anyone know if he will be charged by etisalat for receiving skype call to his mobile from UK?

I don't see why he should. Skype is effectively just routing your calls over the internet and onto the normal phone infrastructure. His mobile will not distinguish between your call from originating from Skype and a call from any other phone in the UAE.

Tdonnelly Sep 13th 2011 2:33 pm

That's what I'm hoping. It was just with it been from UK whether they would charge for it. We've been texting but its costing us both a fortune and he's only in his temp company accommodation so he hasn't got his Internet sorted yet I'm trying to avoid huge phone bills!! He moved to get more money not spend it on the phone!!! Thanks

norsk Sep 13th 2011 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tdonnelly (Post 9618280)
That's what I'm hoping. It was just with it been from UK whether they would charge for it. We've been texting but its costing us both a fortune and he's only in his temp company accommodation so he hasn't got his Internet sorted yet I'm trying to avoid huge phone bills!! He moved to get more money not spend it on the phone!!! Thanks

As long as he is not roaming (ie using a UK sim card in UAE) he will not pay to receive a call regardless of how you call him.

Millsyisland Sep 14th 2011 3:38 am

You can use Skype to text (chat) too.

iamthestig Sep 14th 2011 6:03 am

You can't use data on a pre-paid sim without paying for it, unless the phone company has a special bundle deal going (like Vodafone's 500mb free allowance when you top up in the UK).

Skype uses data (lots of it if you use video) so of course the calls will cost money...

If you husband's phone is a smartphone (iPhone, Android etc...) then he could find a free wifi connection and calls via Skype will then be gratis.

norsk Sep 14th 2011 6:13 am

Originally Posted by iamthestig (Post 9619909)
You can't use data on a pre-paid sim without paying for it, unless the phone company has a special bundle deal going (like Vodafone's 500mb free allowance when you top up in the UK).

Skype uses data (lots of it if you use video) so of course the calls will cost money...

If you husband's phone is a smartphone (iPhone, Android etc...) then he could find a free wifi connection and calls via Skype will then be gratis.

i think she was talking about using skype to call from the internet to a normal phone number. that's what i have assumed in my advice anyway.

iamthestig Sep 14th 2011 6:26 am

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9619928)
i think she was talking about using skype to call from the internet to a normal phone number. that's what i have assumed in my advice anyway.

You are correct if this is the case. Skype calls directly to the number will be routed via a local telecoms company in the UAE, so it should be the same as a local incoming call.

paca Sep 14th 2011 8:07 pm

depending on his phone and data plan it may be cheaper to install a chat program on your phone rather than sending texts

BBM - Blackberry
Google Talk - Android phones
iPhone - there is an app for that

ZZS Sep 17th 2011 6:08 am

Also, if you are using smart phones you could get either Viber or What's App. They have free calls and texting using either WiFi or 3G.