Skype in Dubai

Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

JB22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skype in Dubai

Originally Posted by lehoff
Is it just me or is anyone elses skype down.............?
NL - did you get your connection back?
It can also be down to your current internet speed especially if you are over a VPN then that will slow it right down. Lower bandwidth would be OK for just talk but if you want to video then a higher band width is required also I have noticed that the processor speed on the machine can make a difference as I get totally different results when using my netbook to my laptop to my Ases Skype Video Phone. If calling the UK I have found UK am the best as that way the USA is still sleeping so the net tends to be faster. Saying that depends if Du and Etisalat are letting users have decent bandwidth, take it theres no 10 to 20 mbs available yet...?
Old Oct 27th 2010, 11:52 am
Just Joined

sarahlou davis is an unknown quantity at this point

If you live in certain areas you can download Skype
The Ranches, Greens and Marina are all okay for Skype
Old Oct 27th 2010, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

lehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sarahlou davis
If you live in certain areas you can download Skype
The Ranches, Greens and Marina are all okay for Skype
I am in the Ranches and whilst i already have it downloaded, for the last two weeks using the video facility has been pants! i.e. only one side gets sound and the picture freezes etc.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JB22
It can also be down to your current internet speed especially if you are over a VPN then that will slow it right down. Lower bandwidth would be OK for just talk but if you want to video then a higher band width is required also I have noticed that the processor speed on the machine can make a difference as I get totally different results when using my netbook to my laptop to my Ases Skype Video Phone. If calling the UK I have found UK am the best as that way the USA is still sleeping so the net tends to be faster. Saying that depends if Du and Etisalat are letting users have decent bandwidth, take it theres no 10 to 20 mbs available yet...?
I have a confirmed 8MB connection (i've checked the speed) however Skype is the only program on my computer that doesn't work properly.

I am 98% convinced that something has happened because there are a number of people i've spoken to recently that have noticed the 'limited connection' with Skype to Skype.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CeeBee
I have a confirmed 8MB connection (i've checked the speed) however Skype is the only program on my computer that doesn't work properly.

I am 98% convinced that something has happened because there are a number of people i've spoken to recently that have noticed the 'limited connection' with Skype to Skype.
Not forgetting, of course, that 8mb is DOWNLOAD speed only - Your upload speed dictates how well the recipient will see / hear you. I used it last night in JLT - no issues.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 6:33 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Also now can't get skype working in the Ranches - used to be fine without VPN, then fine with VPN, now not working even with VPN which is very weird
Old Oct 30th 2010, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bigtaff
Not forgetting, of course, that 8mb is DOWNLOAD speed only - Your upload speed dictates how well the recipient will see / hear you. I used it last night in JLT - no issues.
This could also explain my xbox connectivity issues. The upload speed is a rather slow 0.8. I think the 4 year old router may have to go.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CeeBee
This could also explain my xbox connectivity issues. The upload speed is a rather slow 0.8. I think the 4 year old router may have to go.
I wouldn't waste your money. I have a 6 month old router and get the same speed upload on a 16mb connection. Du limits this, not your router (unless, of course, it's not capable of faster but I seriously doubt that if only 4 years old)