Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Skipping the country - what happened to your visa, final payout and your posessions?

Skipping the country - what happened to your visa, final payout and your posessions?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

greengables21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Skipping the country - what happened to your visa, final payout and your posessions?

My husband has lost his job and has asked me to find out answers on forums.

For those that have skipped Dubai due to redundancy, did you use whatever funds you have, buy a 1way ticket for you and your family to return home and leave your possessions behind?

Did your organisation cancel your visa and did you receive your payout? If not - did you do this because you were worried about your organisation asking about your debt?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skipping the country - what happened to your visa, final payout and your posessio

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

From what I understand, the company cannot issue the final gratuity, compensation or book your return flights until the visa has been cancelled. The visa will not be cancelled by the government until any outstanding debts have been paid off.

This is why people do skips.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Skipping the country - what happened to your visa, final payout and your posessio

We don't want to skip. We want to do the right thing. Our only loan is a car-loan, however we're locked into a 12mth rental agreement.

Is there any way of getting our stuff shipped home, getting our final monies and then leaving? We would pay the remaining loan from home!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 4:07 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greengables21
We don't want to skip. We want to do the right thing. Our only loan is a car-loan, however we're locked into a 12mth rental agreement.

Is there any way of getting our stuff shipped home, getting our final monies and then leaving? We would pay the remaining loan from home!
"paying the remaining loan from home" seems to be a concept that the banks here haven't grasped. There's been a thread int he last couple of days where a chap has been talking to his bank about this very same issue and has posted the results.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

So you are only renting your car but you have a 12 month contract... so you dont actually owe any money to anyone for anything....
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:38 am
Just Joined

To clarify - we are not necessarily planning to 'skip' - but we need to know all of our options! Jail is NOT an option for my husband. We're honest hard-working family and these laws are ridiculous.

To clarify - we owe money on our car but we plan on selling our car and will have a debt for the remainder. This debt we will have to leave behind and pay from home.

We have a 12month lease contract on our house.

Last edited by Sue; Feb 24th 2009 at 1:51 am. Reason: Quoted deleted post which has since been removed.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

Problem with the car will be that you cannot sell until you have a letter from the finance company stating they no longer own the car (assuming you have a car loan, rather than a personal loan used to buy a car?)

If you have a personal loan then there should (?) not be a problem simply sending funds here each month from home to pay the loan.

If it is an actual car loan, then a buyer can pay the finance company directly, but if there is a shortfall then you need to cover the balance.

The laws here make things difficult enough, but I am sure there will be a way to get things sorted, legally.

Redundancy payout/final settlement? Would this go any way to clearing the remainder of the car debt? If you wait until your husband's employment is terminated, you generally (?) get 1 month to sort your things out before visa cancelled, and they will also pay your repatriation flights. Not sure on the position re your tennancy contract though.

Speak to landlord about ending contract early - if they know now they can start advertising for a new tennant.

Holding on until things are sorted out with the employer will help you more than fleeing home in advance of this, surely?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:44 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

what about trying to find another tennant for your Landlord? how much notice do you have to give on the property?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:45 am
Just Joined

We've advertised the flat already but no interest as yet. Contract says we have to give 3months notice but I think that is after the initial 12months is up!

Thanks Robbie S very helpful info.not sure if it was a car loan or personal. hopefully personal! otherwise what do u do? Get the person to pay back our loan and make up the shortfall? So stupid!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:49 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

We've advertised the flat already but no interest as yet. Contract says we have to give 3months notice but I think that is after the initial 12months is up!

Thanks Robbie S very helpful info.not sure if it was a car loan or personal. hopefully personal! otherwise what do u do? Get the person to pay back our loan and make up the shortfall? So stupid!
re the flat, I don't think is is after the first 12 months, double check it - how did you pay the LL?

the car - how much are you looking to sell it for and what is the shortfall? PM me if you want.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

One pitfall with the car loans that has not been discussed is one that hit me recently.
I had a car loan that I wanted to clear as I was given a decent company car and didnt need two. I found a buyer though his offer was low. I was happy to take this offer and make up the shortfall just to get rid of the loan.
However
my bank said it would take 7 days to issue a clearence certificate after the loan was cleared so in effect the buyer would give me his cash to clear my loan and then not be able to register and take official ownership for a further week. This he was not happy to do in case I skipped the country.
I even offered to pay the loan immediately with my UK credit card to speed the process up (the bank refused that offer for some reason).
So unless you have the funds in cash available to clear a loan then you can be stuffed and the banks attitude really sucks, considering so many people are gapping it you think they would try and be a bit more flexible

As it is my job is safe so will return my company car and take the allowance to pay my loan and be thankful that I do not need to worry yet
Old Feb 24th 2009, 3:22 am
Concierge

that depends on the bank. This happened to a friend recently. He gave the car to the new owner but kept registration card til cheque cleared, then they met up and went to the registration centre. There are ways round things.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 3:40 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
that depends on the bank. This happened to a friend recently. He gave the car to the new owner but kept registration card til cheque cleared, then they met up and went to the registration centre. There are ways round things.
And what would the Police and/or insurance company have done if the "new owner" had crashed the car before the registration process had been completed? Sounds very dodgy.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 3:43 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
And what would the Police and/or insurance company have done if the "new owner" had crashed the car before the registration process had been completed? Sounds very dodgy.
yeah, I agree, stupid thing to do...also if he got any fines, they'd be in your name...try and get that money off him later on...
Old Feb 24th 2009, 3:46 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by lionheart
the new buyer didn't drive the car, it was left on his property until it was all sorted out. But at least he had the car and the keys, it was quite straight forward and avoided my friend leaving in debt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.