Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Single male offered a job in Saudi Arabia , Riyadh. HELP.

Single male offered a job in Saudi Arabia , Riyadh. HELP.

Old Mar 10th 2010, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

3ukman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single male offered a job in Saudi Arabia , Riyadh. HELP.

…. almost forgot … first Hello Everyone ! Hope you are doing well ? ….

I am a single male , Eastern European although I have been residing in the UK for a while , was offered 1 year permanent position with an IT company in Riyadh , in the area of the link below …

1. I am a little worried about finding accommodation. The recruitment agent and the employer have not offered accommodation ( just temporary hotel stay) , in fact they have told me I should arrive first and then worry about accommodation. Now this is against what I have read so far on this forum. I will be talking to the agent about this , however I can certainly use any tips from you guys : Is it true there is a 6 month wait list at the compounds ? Also perhaps someone could recommend me some compounds that I could call and enquire about availability ? My work place should be in the area on the link below , however I might be deployed to the employer’s own clients hence I am not sure where I might be working.

2. What can compound life for a single male be like ? I am guessing that compounds are quite family/married couples oriented living atmosphere. But there have to be other single guys residing ? I am also assuming that single female expats will be practically nonexistent ? I mean if I was a single female, I’d hardly consider going ( from What I have read ) … although I heard there are some female jobs around the compounds….

3. Does it feel safe for single male to walk around the city alone ? Or is it more of a Go to work then drive home kind of life ? Feels like walking around neighborhood alone may be well beyond my comfort zone…

Cheers everyone , ALL Comments really appreciated.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:31 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Single male offered a job in Saudi Arabia , Riyadh. HELP.

Safety is not really an issue in Riyadh, only boredom.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3ukman
…. almost forgot … first Hello Everyone ! Hope you are doing well ? ….

I am a single male , Eastern European although I have been residing in the UK for a while , was offered 1 year permanent position with an IT company in Riyadh , in the area of the link below …

1. I am a little worried about finding accommodation. The recruitment agent and the employer have not offered accommodation ( just temporary hotel stay) , in fact they have told me I should arrive first and then worry about accommodation. Now this is against what I have read so far on this forum. I will be talking to the agent about this , however I can certainly use any tips from you guys : Is it true there is a 6 month wait list at the compounds ? Also perhaps someone could recommend me some compounds that I could call and enquire about availability ? My work place should be in the area on the link below , however I might be deployed to the employer’s own clients hence I am not sure where I might be working.

2. What can compound life for a single male be like ? I am guessing that compounds are quite family/married couples oriented living atmosphere. But there have to be other single guys residing ? I am also assuming that single female expats will be practically nonexistent ? I mean if I was a single female, I’d hardly consider going ( from What I have read ) … although I heard there are some female jobs around the compounds….

3. Does it feel safe for single male to walk around the city alone ? Or is it more of a Go to work then drive home kind of life ? Feels like walking around neighborhood alone may be well beyond my comfort zone…

Cheers everyone , ALL Comments really appreciated.
But the real issue is accommodation - your recruiter and employer are being wholly irresponsible if this is their advice.

in fact they have told me I should arrive first and then worry about accommodation.

If they won't budge on that, don't take the job - sorry to be blunt but it's that simple. You won't find anywhere unless you are very lucky - and moving to the Saudi lifestyle is too big a culture shock to take that risk.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
But the real issue is accommodation - your recruiter and employer are being wholly irresponsible if this is their advice.

in fact they have told me I should arrive first and then worry about accommodation.

If they won't budge on that, don't take the job - sorry to be blunt but it's that simple. You won't find anywhere unless you are very lucky - and moving to the Saudi lifestyle is too big a culture shock to take that risk.
And why are you showing "0 Posts"? Weird.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:34 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

And why are you showing "0 Posts"? Weird.
He teleported back to before he posted.....
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks for confirming my own research.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

As newly arrived in Riyadh with no accommodation arranged I can confirm the above.

There may be a waiting list for compounds but my experince is that unless you have contacts you can't even get on the waiting list.

The option is to rent a serviced apartment and watch TV or read a book for recreation.

Safety is not an issue you can wander freely around Riyadh but not too far because it is impossible to cross the road.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
As newly arrived in Riyadh with no accommodation arranged I can confirm the above.

There may be a waiting list for compounds but my experince is that unless you have contacts you can't even get on the waiting list.

The option is to rent a serviced apartment and watch TV or read a book for recreation.

Safety is not an issue you can wander freely around Riyadh but not too far because it is impossible to cross the road.
Thanks matey , these service apartments .... are they located in regular neighborhoods ? I mean there aren't westerners around like at the compounds ? This must feel somewhat isolated ?
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Beans-on-Toast Britain is just really niceBeans-on-Toast Britain is just really niceBeans-on-Toast Britain is just really niceBeans-on-Toast Britain is just really niceBeans-on-Toast Britain is just really niceBeans-on-Toast Britain is just really niceBeans-on-Toast Britain is just really niceBeans-on-Toast Britain is just really nice

Friend of mine did about 12months in KSA

Reckons he became a really good squash player, if that helps….

Seriously, unless you can earn a lot more than you can where you are now (or elsewhere), I wouldn't touch it.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beans-on-Toast Britain
Friend of mine did about 12months in KSA

Reckons he became a really good squash player, if that helps….

Seriously, unless you can earn a lot more than you can where you are now (or elsewhere), I wouldn't touch it.
I see your point.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

There are serviced apartments throughout the city but no westerners that I know of. I am now staying in the Seder Compound Motel at SR 400/night which is a good option if you can get your employer to pay (SR 12,000 month) . The motel is on a good compound.

Serviced apartment costs I found from SR 5,000 to SR 9,000/month - SR 7000 was about the cheapest for a somewhere reasonable.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
There are serviced apartments throughout the city but no westerners that I know of. I am now staying in the Seder Compound Motel at SR 400/night which is a good option if you can get your employer to pay (SR 12,000 month) . The motel is on a good compound.

Serviced apartment costs I found from SR 5,000 to SR 9,000/month - SR 7000 was about the cheapest for a somewhere reasonable.
I see I see.

Major drawback is the inability to date. Life is too short to spend an year alone. I can imagine not many girls travel alone to KAS.

And what is up with the passport thing ? They take your passport ? They become the master of you ?
Seems like

Last edited by 3ukman; Mar 13th 2010 at 8:47 am.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

OK here we go, some companies yes they do take your passport because you have an iquama this is your residents cared here in the sand pit.
Social thing yes of course it takes a few weeks or maybe more depending on where you are living. to get onto the social ladder.
You can have a very good life here. i do most weekends

The ladies ie nurses they can be at most parties social weekends just take your time this will get better, mind you it is starting to warm up a bit now here .
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:23 pm
Sand pit since May 2010

Geo79 is an unknown quantity at this point

3ukman,

Did you take the job? Just curious as I've also recently been offered a job in Riyadh! I have been given single status accomodation but not yet told where..

(Can we PM on this forum? I tried and it wouldn't let me!)
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 8:42 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geo79
3ukman,

Did you take the job? Just curious as I've also recently been offered a job in Riyadh! I have been given single status accomodation but not yet told where..

(Can we PM on this forum? I tried and it wouldn't let me!)
You need to post a few more times before you can PM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.