British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Single Male Moving to Qatar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/single-male-moving-qatar-847727/)

IrishManc Nov 25th 2014 2:07 pm

Single Male Moving to Qatar

Hi,

I'm a new user here and about to accept a job offer in Qatar. Now i'm ready to accept it seems a lot more real!!! :-/

I have read many post and appreciate the positive and negative reviews but would like to hear from other single males living and working in Qatar.

I am a 29 year old single male from Manchester UK, currently living and working in London looking to move over mid January - Early February 2015. I would appreciate any advice on accomodation; would like to live in a share with 2 or 3 others but how much would it cost, whats the best way to find a place, car hire or leasing and also the social side, must see and things to do.

Thanks in advance.

primularossa Nov 25th 2014 6:45 pm

Re: Single Male Moving to Qatar

About acocmodation, much depends on where your workplace is located. So please tell us in which area will you be working and we might give you some suggestions. Also, it depends on what are your interests. If I were here alone, I would choose a place near Katara, West Bay, Souq Wakif or C-Ring, as they are close to places where you can go out after work. But be prepared - there is not so much social life around.

Erwinship Nov 28th 2014 2:35 pm

Hello,

Me and my friends are around 30 and single as well and some of us like The Pearl. In my case, mainly because I really enjoy not driving during the weekends and in this area you have many cafeterias and restaurants to catch up with friends and a nice path to walk.

You have as well West Bay. The friends I have there live in this area mainly because is the area where we usually go out and they do not have to take a taxi later.

In this two areas the price sharing a flat is around 5000-6000 QAR/month. These two areas are expensive though. If your idea is to save money I have heard that a lot of Brits live in Al Saad.

As primularossa said, traffic here is crazy, so it would be a good idea to live next to your workplace.

About the social life... well... there is not so much to do but with time you will find people to grab a beer and have fun. And if you like sports there are groups of people for kite surfing, running, football...

I would suggest you first to come, see the areas and later chose the one you like, so if you can stay in a hotel the first month till you find a good place to move in better.

init2winit02 Nov 28th 2014 4:36 pm

IrishManc - good question, I'm also in the process of considering all of this. Don't mean to hijack your thread but hopefully some of the questions I ask are also relevant to you (given the broad category of questions you have asked).

Erwinship - thanks for the detailed response and sound advice. Given the immense heat how do sports such as football work - are there indoor (air conditioned) halls for things like football/cricket etc. Many people mention Westbay/The Pearl, how much are they for a single bed apartment approximately?

With regards to lack of social life, I'm surprised to some extent. I can understand there may be limited things to do, but the working hours seem quite favorable (especially compared to the hours I'm currently working in UK), so there seems to be a lot more time available to do things so would think with the sheer number of expats and the free time, people would generally be up for doing things in the evening.

Erwinship Nov 29th 2014 10:16 am

Originally Posted by init2winit02 (Post 11487137)
IrishManc - good question, I'm also in the process of considering all of this. Don't mean to hijack your thread but hopefully some of the questions I ask are also relevant to you (given the broad category of questions you have asked).

Erwinship - thanks for the detailed response and sound advice. Given the immense heat how do sports such as football work - are there indoor (air conditioned) halls for things like football/cricket etc. Many people mention Westbay/The Pearl, how much are they for a single bed apartment approximately?

With regards to lack of social life, I'm surprised to some extent. I can understand there may be limited things to do, but the working hours seem quite favorable (especially compared to the hours I'm currently working in UK), so there seems to be a lot more time available to do things so would think with the sheer number of expats and the free time, people would generally be up for doing things in the evening.

In West Bay/The Pearl one studio is 7500-9000 QAR/month and 1 bedroom apartment 11000/13000 QAR/month plus bills.

In Aspire you can play both indoor and outdoor football. There are several places where you can play tennis or squash as well.

I would say that the most difficult is to find the people to play with, because most of the western expats here live with their family.

IrishManc Dec 4th 2014 1:18 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your comments above.

I have been speaking with my future employer and have accepted a place in a shared villa in the Al Rayyan Al Qadeem compound, with others who have just moved to Qatar.

I will be working near the junction of Doha Expy and Salwa Rd, Al Soudan area.

I appreciate a lot of people complain about not having much to do however even with the activities on offer, i would end up doing a lot more than what i currently do in the UK.

My current interests are going to the gym, films, reading, music, cinema and socializing with family and friends weather it be over dinner, a drink or coffee.

Just would like to know if its easy place to meet new friends and and socialize and if there is anybody who has recently moved to Qatar, can they share their experience so far.

Thanks

Stubs Dec 7th 2014 9:37 pm

At least you guys can have a beer lol, I'm 29 year old singe male moving to Saudi in April

co durham boy Dec 8th 2014 3:37 am

Originally Posted by IrishManc (Post 11492444)
Hi,

I have been speaking with my future employer and have accepted a place in a shared villa in the Al Rayyan Al Qadeem compound, with others who have just moved to Qatar.

I appreciate a lot of people complain about not having much to do however even with the activities on offer, i would end up doing a lot more than what i currently do in the UK.

My current interests are going to the gym, films, reading, music, cinema and socializing with family and friends weather it be over dinner, a drink or coffee.

Just would like to know if its easy place to meet new friends and and socialize and if there is anybody who has recently moved to Qatar, can they share their experience so far.

Thanks

There's been a massive influx of people into here in the last 18months , Single people of whatever persuasion will not have any problems here in Doha .

It's not Dubai but it's not Riyadh either , fill ya boots !

britexpat76 Dec 9th 2014 9:00 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11495656)
There's been a massive influx of people into here in the last 18months , Single people of whatever persuasion will not have any problems here in Doha .

It's not Dubai but it's not Riyadh either , fill ya boots !

^^ What CoDB says.^^

Im the wrong end of the 30 scale but If I wanted to I could go out most nights and entertain myself - It is nowhere near as dull as people who sit at home most nights with their families make out.

Seek out and you shall find most things you want.......

Venezuelan007 Dec 11th 2014 5:31 am

" If I wanted to I could go out most nights and entertain myself"

So, the alternative to die of boredom is become an alcoholic and waste the paycheck on overprized booze in a sausage-fest bar. Score!

JamesandTamsin Dec 26th 2014 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by IrishManc (Post 11492444)
Hi,

Thanks

If you like the gym there’s a decent one on Salwa Road (Ramada Signal). It’s the junction with C Ring FYI.

Al Massa Fitness :)

coffindodger Dec 27th 2014 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Stubs (Post 11495510)
At least you guys can have a beer lol, I'm 29 year old singe male moving to Saudi in April

Where in Saudi are you moving to??? If you are moving to Khobar / Dammam, I have a 2 bedroom fully furnish apartment going as it looks like I might be moving back to Dubai.
This is off compound and near Silver Tower / Saad Hospital.

nonthaburi Dec 28th 2014 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Stubs (Post 11495510)

I drink more in Saudi than when I lived in the City of Sin AKA Bangkok.