Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Single girl moving to Kuwait - Pros and Cons?

Single girl moving to Kuwait - Pros and Cons?

Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

timetotravel is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Single girl moving to Kuwait - Pros and Cons?

Hi everyone,
I have no idea if I will be moving to Kuwait but a job opportunity has come my way and I am keen. But with my keen-ness also comes nervousness mainly about being a 30-something single woman in a country I know very little about.
Are there any other women out there who are living out there on their own and could share any advice?
I'd take views from the guys too....!
Thanks all.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single girl moving to Kuwait - Pros and Cons?

I have been to Kuwait a few times on visits. The driving is atrocious;much worse than the UAE and there is no alcohol. We know people in Kuwait who like it but they are all families so I can't comment on what it would be like for a single person. There is a decent club called the Corniche Club for sports, swimming etc, the shopping is good and there are plenty of restaurants. There seems to be a fair bit of growth in Kuwait and I expect that there will be lots more Europeans working there soon. I recommend a visit to get the feel of the place before accepting a job.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:38 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Dubai would be much more suitable for a single girl, trust me.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

scottishgirl1985 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by timetotravel
Hi everyone,
I have no idea if I will be moving to Kuwait but a job opportunity has come my way and I am keen. But with my keen-ness also comes nervousness mainly about being a 30-something single woman in a country I know very little about.
Are there any other women out there who are living out there on their own and could share any advice?
I'd take views from the guys too....!
Thanks all.
Sorry to take over the post I may be going as well and was wondering if anyone knows:
what the rents are like in Kuwait comparable to Dubai or London?
Is the accomodation on compounds like in Saudi?
Can women drive?
are restaurants divided into family and men sections?

Sorry and many thanks.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:18 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Answers...ish below

Originally Posted by scottishgirl1985
Sorry to take over the post I may be going as well and was wondering if anyone knows:
what the rents are like in Kuwait comparable to Dubai or London? Depends what you want. 600KD will get you a really nice 3 bed apartment on a compound
Is the accomodation on compounds like in Saudi? Fewer compounds but they are there. More apartments and villas.
Can women drive? Are you looking for an answer or an opinion?
are restaurants divided into family and men sections? No.

Sorry and many thanks.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:49 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Answers...ish below
Where the hell have you been hiding? Good to have you back.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:27 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Where the hell have you been hiding? Good to have you back.
Still around but not on the bored much, been travelling and very busy at work. Will try to do better!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

JimandBettina is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I live in Kuwait and would advise you, as a single female, against moving here. The Kuwaitis are very old fashioned in their treatment of women. There is NO and I mean NO contact allowed between young men and women. It goes on but its not allowed. The police check cars and if you are with a guy and not married, it will be a bad outcome. There is no alcohol allowed anywhere.

Society is two tier - the rich Kuwaitis and the poor immigrant workers. The rich drive around in their fast cars, not abiding by any rules of the road, they drink and take lots of illicit drugs (ie they do whatever they want) They have the police in their pockets and look down upon any foreigner, treating their maids like dirt. They also think that western women are floozies and that they can have sex with them by flicking their fingers.

Kuwaiti women will also look down upon you as a floozie and treat you badly.

I have never met such an arrogant, ignorant bunch of people in my life.

Oman, on the other hand is fantastic, the people are lovely. I have perspective and I do not think Kuwait will be the place for you if you are worried about these things. If not and you can take all this with a pinch of salt, ie have an adventure, then go for it!

J
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JimandBettina

Im in Kuwait and i think you paint a very bleak picture and possibly unfair.

Gent
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

JimandBettina is on a distinguished road

Possibly, but I am just advising from the perspective of a single female coming to Kuwait. I have Kuwaiti friends but generally I stand by my comments.

I deal with young Kuwaiti males at work, who are constantly asking me how they can get a western woman and where the best places in Uk to do so are. It's a matter of education and I believe they have had the misfortune of the experience of 60 years of western decadence on top of a bedouin base culture. It takes time for subconscious historical memory to change and I am afraid they need more time.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimandBettina

I deal with young Kuwaiti males at work, who are constantly asking me how they can get a western woman and where the best places in Uk to do so are.
Out of curiosity - what was your reply?
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:57 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Out of curiosity - what was your reply?
Isn't Nottingham supposed to have the best looking women in England? It's what I was told many moons ago.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Isn't Nottingham supposed to have the best looking women in England? It's what I was told many moons ago.
Is it? I lived there for nearly twenty years ( before coming to KSA ) and wouldn't have said it was. But that doesn't make it necessarily the 'best place to get western women'

There is a well quoted myth that the ratio of women to men in Nottingham is 4:1. But it's not true,sadly.