Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

A Single Gal in Dubai...?

A Single Gal in Dubai...?

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:18 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Single Gal in Dubai...?

Originally Posted by StublueKPL
Meant to say that i am not available and as devastating as that may be, please dont let that affect your decision

But i have few friends (as mentioned above of the non-fanta pant variety!)
yes, but there are scotsmen and weedgietronic soap dodgers....

and most your mates are overweight beer bellied alkies...your only skinny due to your 'illness'
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Meant to say that i am not available and as devastating as that may be, please dont let that affect your decision

But i have few friends (as mentioned above of the non-fanta pant variety!)
i have few friends

I assume you mean A few friends.?

Oh perhaps not...........
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Dean
i have few friends

I assume you mean A few friends.?

Oh perhaps not...........

My only friends are on here. you're my new bestest friend
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by commander
yes, but there are scotsmen and weedgietronic soap dodgers....

and most your mates are overweight beer bellied alkies...your only skinny due to your 'illness'
I thought everyones mates had beer bellies

Ahh, Another jealous wannabe weegie!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:36 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I thought everyones mates had beer bellies

Ahh, Another jealous wannabe weegie!!!
beleive you me mate, if there is one thing i count my blessings for every night is the fact i am NOT a tronic..

WOS----scotlands shame
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

are you all talking northern? because i don't understand a word you're saying
Old Apr 24th 2009, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

LittleMermaid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GemsyB
Hi All,
Very new to this site so apologies if I sound too much like a newbie!

I was contacted last week by a recruitment agency who have discussed what sounds like a fantastic package/salary etc etc for a role in Dubai that is exactly what I am looking for....I know all too well - that old chestnut 'If its too good to be true it usually is!!!!' ...AND the company want to see me for an interview end of this week....Eeeek, things are moving quite fast!!

So.....my question to you all is this - Im in my early 20s, no ties to UK except the usual (friends/family), I just dont want to wake up in 10 years time and wonder what if......however - never been to Dubai (although I have lived in Turkey for a while last year, so same religious beliefs albeit definately not as extreme as some things I have been reading!) so I have lived away from the UK before. Id be moving alone, I dont know anyone out there....am I mad for even considering? Has anyone else done this? Are there many others in the same situation, or have done this alone?

Researching more in depth now I see the flip side to all the pros for living out there and I am now thinking all of that topped with all I have mentioned, do I forget the whole thing or try it out as I could always come back???

All suggestions/advice appreciated, Id just like to hear from those of you who have been there, done it and worn out the t'shirt!

Many Thanks
Gem
xx

Hey!

I was in the same boat as you about 3 months ago. I'm currently an NQT Teacher in Scotland and the Job situation here is Hellish. You are guaranteed a one year contract and then you are on your own. The current council that I am in has 4 jobs next year and 193 people applied. This, as well as my itchy feet, made me look into working abroad. Dubai ticked all the boxes so I applied to every job going and secured a post last month, the salary is better that I am currently getting and the School seems fantastic compared to the run down state school I am in.
I’m in my early 20's as well and although I am extremely excited about the move I am still very nervous and a little scared about the mammoth task of actually moving. But you only live once so I'm going for it. At the end of the day I think you just need to weigh up the pros and cons of a move abroad and for me the pros heavily weighed out the cons.

LittleMermaid
Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:59 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
beleive you me mate, if there is one thing i count my blessings for every night is the fact i am NOT a tronic..

WOS----scotlands shame
Hell, did I miss a good weegie bashing moment??????
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

any eligible bachelors over there!??
Yep.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Littlemisscaro is just really niceLittlemisscaro is just really niceLittlemisscaro is just really niceLittlemisscaro is just really niceLittlemisscaro is just really niceLittlemisscaro is just really niceLittlemisscaro is just really niceLittlemisscaro is just really nice

Hi GemsyB,

I'm a lurker on here but had to reply to your post as I am in exactly the same position as you, I went for an interview with Landmark last week too! Different position from you though but very similar package salary wise. I went through a diff recruitment agency to Talisman.

I find out on Sunday whether I've been successful and I have decided that if I am, I'm going to take it. I'm 25 and may not get an opportunity like this again. At the end of the day, it's not an amazing package compared to most by any stretch of the imagination BUT for me, the job itself is what appeals- it will be fantastic for my career progression and I think Landmark as a company are doing so well that they would be ones to stick with long term.

It hasn't been an easy decision as I have been offered another position in the UK but the Landmark job is a far better opportunity, for me at least. I have a lovely Scottish boyfriend (not a fanta pants!) who I'm gradually talking round to come out too but obviously he'll need a job before he comes and we won't be able to live together, obviously. Means a few months apart but we'll work through it if it's meant to be.

Did you decide to go for the interview in the end?
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
Very new to this site so apologies if I sound too much like a newbie!

I was contacted last week by a recruitment agency who have discussed what sounds like a fantastic package/salary etc etc for a role in Dubai that is exactly what I am looking for....I know all too well - that old chestnut 'If its too good to be true it usually is!!!!' ...AND the company want to see me for an interview end of this week....Eeeek, things are moving quite fast!!

So.....my question to you all is this - Im in my early 20s, no ties to UK except the usual (friends/family), I just dont want to wake up in 10 years time and wonder what if......however - never been to Dubai (although I have lived in Turkey for a while last year, so same religious beliefs albeit definately not as extreme as some things I have been reading!) so I have lived away from the UK before. Id be moving alone, I dont know anyone out there....am I mad for even considering? Has anyone else done this? Are there many others in the same situation, or have done this alone?

Researching more in depth now I see the flip side to all the pros for living out there and I am now thinking all of that topped with all I have mentioned, do I forget the whole thing or try it out as I could always come back???

All suggestions/advice appreciated, Id just like to hear from those of you who have been there, done it and worn out the t'shirt!

Many Thanks
Gem
xx
Hi Gem,

Think nothing but positive. Littlemisscaro here has clearly confirmed that the salary you've been offered is the market price for that job. If you get your accommodation thrown in, then great, it's a big weight off your shoulders, but it's not impossible if not. Then just don't forget the following:-
1) You'll be leaving the UK - YEAH! So damn expensive there and full of regulations!
2) Once you've done that after a few months of heart ache missing family, friends etc, you'll quickly have another bunch of people around you
3) It's a foot in the door! Personally, I think anyone in their 20's who get the chance to move out to Middle East or Asia are sooooooo lucky, and once you're out, moving on, moving up even, will be so much easier than staying in the UK
4) My first move out of the UK took me to Asia a few years ago, I was 35 earning 25K, and went out for the same salary, BUT my spending nose dived because all those UK expenses disappeared, house, car, petrol, maintenance, etc (not forgetting TAX - bye bye Mr Taxman). I still had to rent an apartment and pay myself (50SqM for 400quid a month, but I was still only spending 800quid a month incl the apartment, going out almost every night, and having sooooooo much fun. Dubai is more expensive, but I still think you're quids in. Oh, since leaving UK less than 5 years ago, my salary has nearly doubled, but most importantly my SAVINGS have gone to the moon! I'm easily living on $1000 a month and that includes covering costs of my gf here! - note US$ not GBP!
5) You're young, and nothing to lose, just go for it. :-)

Like our friends here have already said, avoid debt, live sensibly, and you'll save well. Just think where you might be in 2-5 years time? Hong Kong? Bangkok? Singapore? Shanghai?..... the list goes on...

If it does go belly up, you can always go back to the UK wondering what would have happened if you'd taken the opportunity - then you'd really regret it, trust me.

Hope the interview went well - Good luck - let's see you in Dubai soon.

Oh, one last thing, which newer people in the Middle East might not think about so much - Dubai 20 years ago was a sand pit, and life was certainly not so luxurious as now, but you come out to work, not play. Playing will come when you work hard. Forget about not being paid for an extra hours overtime or crap like that which we worry about when in the UK, it's a different ball game now. Work your bum off, and by the time you're 30 you'll be in a position that you could never be if you stay in the UK. Then you'll show your worth and will be pulling the strings more. For now, just work hard, and the fun will come.

Stay positive, smile....nothing to lose...

Cheers
MP
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Hi Gem,

Think nothing but positive. Littlemisscaro here has clearly confirmed that the salary you've been offered is the market price for that job. If you get your accommodation thrown in, then great, it's a big weight off your shoulders, but it's not impossible if not. Then just don't forget the following:-
1) You'll be leaving the UK - YEAH! So damn expensive there and full of regulations!
2) Once you've done that after a few months of heart ache missing family, friends etc, you'll quickly have another bunch of people around you
3) It's a foot in the door! Personally, I think anyone in their 20's who get the chance to move out to Middle East or Asia are sooooooo lucky, and once you're out, moving on, moving up even, will be so much easier than staying in the UK
4) My first move out of the UK took me to Asia a few years ago, I was 35 earning 25K, and went out for the same salary, BUT my spending nose dived because all those UK expenses disappeared, house, car, petrol, maintenance, etc (not forgetting TAX - bye bye Mr Taxman). I still had to rent an apartment and pay myself (50SqM for 400quid a month, but I was still only spending 800quid a month incl the apartment, going out almost every night, and having sooooooo much fun. Dubai is more expensive, but I still think you're quids in. Oh, since leaving UK less than 5 years ago, my salary has nearly doubled, but most importantly my SAVINGS have gone to the moon! I'm easily living on $1000 a month and that includes covering costs of my gf here! - note US$ not GBP!
5) You're young, and nothing to lose, just go for it. :-)

Like our friends here have already said, avoid debt, live sensibly, and you'll save well. Just think where you might be in 2-5 years time? Hong Kong? Bangkok? Singapore? Shanghai?..... the list goes on...

If it does go belly up, you can always go back to the UK wondering what would have happened if you'd taken the opportunity - then you'd really regret it, trust me.

Hope the interview went well - Good luck - let's see you in Dubai soon.

Oh, one last thing, which newer people in the Middle East might not think about so much - Dubai 20 years ago was a sand pit, and life was certainly not so luxurious as now, but you come out to work, not play. Playing will come when you work hard. Forget about not being paid for an extra hours overtime or crap like that which we worry about when in the UK, it's a different ball game now. Work your bum off, and by the time you're 30 you'll be in a position that you could never be if you stay in the UK. Then you'll show your worth and will be pulling the strings more. For now, just work hard, and the fun will come.

Stay positive, smile....nothing to lose...

Cheers
MP

Great post!!!!
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littlemisscaro
Hi GemsyB,

I'm a lurker on here but had to reply to your post as I am in exactly the same position as you, I went for an interview with Landmark last week too! Different position from you though but very similar package salary wise. I went through a diff recruitment agency to Talisman.

I find out on Sunday whether I've been successful and I have decided that if I am, I'm going to take it. I'm 25 and may not get an opportunity like this again. At the end of the day, it's not an amazing package compared to most by any stretch of the imagination BUT for me, the job itself is what appeals- it will be fantastic for my career progression and I think Landmark as a company are doing so well that they would be ones to stick with long term.

It hasn't been an easy decision as I have been offered another position in the UK but the Landmark job is a far better opportunity, for me at least. I have a lovely Scottish boyfriend (not a fanta pants!) who I'm gradually talking round to come out too but obviously he'll need a job before he comes and we won't be able to live together, obviously. Means a few months apart but we'll work through it if it's meant to be.

Did you decide to go for the interview in the end?
if you are given staff accomodation then no you won't be able to live together, people do live together here they just have to be discreet, I did it for a couple of years before marrying, we both had separate PO Box numbers etc and I wore a ring, we didn't brag about the matter and it worked out well for us. Yes it is against the law but yes it happens.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

grapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nicegrapefruit is just really nice

That depends a lot on you. I have friends in similar situations. Some left after a year and were delighted to leave - usually because they missed family, home, and/or found Dubai too shallow/limiting. Others very happily stayed and continue to. My opinion is that Dubai can be great if you want it to be. It's frustrating, it's not fair, and it comes across as all a bit surreal at first. But underneath that, the people who live here are just as real as anywhere else, and you'll make some great friends.

The RECRUITMENT AGENCY (Talisman, if any of you have already had dealings with them), certainly not 'pimp'!!!!...have explained a salary (£24k), a relocation package, flight to Dubai and back again should I leave, return flights to and from UK to visit home, insurances (medical, life etc) 1st month rent on accomodation included, with discounted rate should I stay there longer, then an upfront percentage of a few months salary to pay a cheque for my chosen accomodation.
Take anything they tell you with a pinch of salt until it's written down. Bonus for you now is accommodation is much cheaper than last year. 35-40k per year will get you a studio. 50-60k will get you a nice studio maybe even 1 bedroom. Making it possible to live on 10k per month. It won't be great but I don't think any worse than similar positions in London. And the weather's better .

A nice fella out there would be a bonus though haha, any eligible bachelors over there!??
Lots ... depending on how fussy you are. All shapes, sizes, colors available. Some of them will even hang around and have breakfast with you .
Old Apr 25th 2009, 8:52 am
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

I've been raised here. The only warning I have is, be very careful of knobhead men. Thats all
Usually its a sausage fest around, so men will do anything to get what they want.
And if you ask most of the female cabin crew, they will say"Oh god, another Mohammed"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.