Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

A Single Gal in Dubai...?

A Single Gal in Dubai...?

Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A Single Gal in Dubai...?

Originally Posted by GemsyB
Hi All,
Very new to this site so apologies if I sound too much like a newbie!

I was contacted last week by a recruitment agency who have discussed what sounds like a fantastic package/salary etc etc for a role in Dubai that is exactly what I am looking for....I know all too well - that old chestnut 'If its too good to be true it usually is!!!!' ...AND the company want to see me for an interview end of this week....Eeeek, things are moving quite fast!!

So.....my question to you all is this - Im in my early 20s, no ties to UK except the usual (friends/family), I just dont want to wake up in 10 years time and wonder what if......however - never been to Dubai (although I have lived in Turkey for a while last year, so same religious beliefs albeit definately not as extreme as some things I have been reading!) so I have lived away from the UK before. Id be moving alone, I dont know anyone out there....am I mad for even considering? Has anyone else done this? Are there many others in the same situation, or have done this alone?

Researching more in depth now I see the flip side to all the pros for living out there and I am now thinking all of that topped with all I have mentioned, do I forget the whole thing or try it out as I could always come back???

All suggestions/advice appreciated, Id just like to hear from those of you who have been there, done it and worn out the t'shirt!

Many Thanks
Gem
xx
Well, although I'm a bloke I came when I was 24 on my own having never been before.

I'd say that if the package seems ok and if you can be sure of a bit of job security then go for it. There are loads of single girls that have done the same.

My only bit of advice would be 1) don't buy a car - rent one, even though it seems like dead money, and 2) If the bank gives you credit cards cut them up and forget about them.

You'll learn that out here debit cards aren't really used...the banks don't really issue them. So you're forced to either carry around the cash with you or put everything on credit card (which can easily be forgotten about).

Having debt here is the worst thing you can do at the moment as if something happens you're stranded until you've fully paid up.

Best of luck.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

GemsyB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
Hello Gemsy,

I'm fascinated by something - in the depths of the worst global economic slump for generations (which Dubai has most certainly not managed to escape), precisely what constitutes a "fantastic" salary package?

What sort of work is it? Care to share what sort of numbers we are talking about here?

I'm just wondering why they need to pay so well right now. [No offence to you or your skills]

And you haven't met the actual employer yet? Could it just be the pimp... sorry, recruitment agency, is hyping things up a bit?

Having said all that............. if it turns out to be genuine, go for it. Living and working abroad has been the most rewarding - and I don't just mean financially - thing I've ever done.

Thanks to all who have replied, I quote the above reply as this one, I think, was a bit much. Maybe it is your 'sense of humour' but you certainly make assumptions and read far too much into things!

I actually said 'what sounds like a fantastic salary/package....' maybe fantastic was the wrong word - its certainly not millions and probably by your standards will be low/nothing to shout about.....what do you suggest the annual salary should be to live there?
No I haven't met my employer - a franchise company of UK and International retailers, that would be this week in London. Im in retail management.

The RECRUITMENT AGENCY (Talisman, if any of you have already had dealings with them), certainly not 'pimp'!!!!...have explained a salary (£24k), a relocation package, flight to Dubai and back again should I leave, return flights to and from UK to visit home, insurances (medical, life etc) 1st month rent on accomodation included, with discounted rate should I stay there longer, then an upfront percentage of a few months salary to pay a cheque for my chosen accomodation.

Im not saying I have all bases covered as I wouldnt be asking for help/advice, what does this sound like to you guys who have done it? Am I wasting my time, or does this sound reasonable, is there anything missing that I should ask about before persuing this???

All helpful replies appreciated, many thanks!

Gemma
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:31 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all who have replied, I quote the above reply as this one, I think, was a bit much. Maybe it is your 'sense of humour' but you certainly make assumptions and read far too much into things!

I actually said 'what sounds like a fantastic salary/package....' maybe fantastic was the wrong word - its certainly not millions and probably by your standards will be low/nothing to shout about.....what do you suggest the annual salary should be to live there?
No I haven't met my employer - a franchise company of UK and International retailers, that would be this week in London. Im in retail management.

The RECRUITMENT AGENCY (Talisman, if any of you have already had dealings with them), certainly not 'pimp'!!!!...have explained a salary (£24k), a relocation package, flight to Dubai and back again should I leave, return flights to and from UK to visit home, insurances (medical, life etc) 1st month rent on accomodation included, with discounted rate should I stay there longer, then an upfront percentage of a few months salary to pay a cheque for my chosen accomodation.

Im not saying I have all bases covered as I wouldnt be asking for help/advice, what does this sound like to you guys who have done it? Am I wasting my time, or does this sound reasonable, is there anything missing that I should ask about before persuing this???

Gemma
Hi Gemma, don't take offence as I'm sure none was intended. If you browse through previous threads you will see that we often get people on asking for advice and, in most cases, it's the same; do your homework as it's a big move and does go very wrong sometimes.
The other thing you need to consider is rent on somewhere. They are starting to introduce staged payments but in many cases it's still 12 months in advance +5% deposit +5% agency fee. This is where it can all go wrong unless you have the support of your employer.
Good luck and keep asking questions.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:39 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Gemma
24,000 quid = approx 125,000 dhs = 10,400 dhs a month salary
it's a no goer I am afraid unless they are going to provide you with an apartment.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

What would you say I would need to earn to live out there then?
What is the average salary?
For the job I am applying to the salary ranges from 19K, so how to people live on that?
...sigh... glad to hear some realistic answers guys, recruitment agent is ringing me later to arrange interview slot, have no idea what to tell her, what to do.....?

Thanks again
Gemma
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:03 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

What would you say I would need to earn to live out there then?
What is the average salary?
For the job I am applying to the salary ranges from 19K, so how to people live on that?
...sigh... glad to hear some realistic answers guys, recruitment agent is ringing me later to arrange interview slot, have no idea what to tell her, what to do.....?

Thanks again
Gemma
what exactly is the position they are talking about?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help!

Its for Landmark Group who have New Look, Reiss, Koton and Aftershock as franchise stores out there.
The position is Store Manager for a new store for one of the brands.
Apparently there are several new stores opening up and they are recruiting for more than 1 position.

Gemma
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:19 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CeeBee
You'll learn that out here debit cards aren't really used...the banks don't really issue them. So you're forced to either carry around the cash with you or put everything on credit card (which can easily be forgotten about).
I use my debit card for everything (except online stuff where infuriatingly it doesn't work).
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:28 pm
Concierge

Thanks for your help!

Its for Landmark Group who have New Look, Reiss, Koton and Aftershock as franchise stores out there.
Apparently there are several new stores opening up and they are recruiting for more than 1 position.

Gemma
go for the interview and find out of they are going to give you accomodation, if not don't take it.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

I know they wont....already discussed that....
Have you got a figure I should be aiming for to be able to live out there???

Many Thanks
x
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:45 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

As with most things, it depends how comfortable you want to be...

A room in a shared apartment will cost around 4000 per month (less if you live in a less desirable area, it does depend where you're working!)

If you want a car, running costs are similar to the UK except for petrol. Leasing might be better because you'll be sure of your outgoings.

Nights out are generally expensive. 30+ per drink, though you can get drunk cheap at women's nights.

Clothes in the malls are much the same - or more - than the UK. Nearly all UK retailers have a mark up over UK prices.

Eating out costs from 60 up for one outside the food courts.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help!

Gemma
those brands are all doing really, really well here, but landmark are notoriously bad payers...on the salary you've mentioned, you'll be looking at a house-share, and won't have much to play with at the end of the month...given you're young and single, you may decide you've got nothing to lose...

MM, xx
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:40 pm
Concierge

I know they wont....already discussed that....
Have you got a figure I should be aiming for to be able to live out there???

Many Thanks
x
then it is a no goer, their loss
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Gemma
What the hell did I say that upset you???

That was one of my milder efforts..............

Grow a spine love - you'll need one to live alone out here......... dreadful place........ terrifying..........
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

got one thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.