British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   A Single Gal in Dubai...? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/single-gal-dubai-604372/)

GemsyB Apr 20th 2009 12:16 am

A Single Gal in Dubai...?

Hi All,
Very new to this site so apologies if I sound too much like a newbie!

I was contacted last week by a recruitment agency who have discussed what sounds like a fantastic package/salary etc etc for a role in Dubai that is exactly what I am looking for....I know all too well - that old chestnut 'If its too good to be true it usually is!!!!' ...AND the company want to see me for an interview end of this week....Eeeek, things are moving quite fast!!

So.....my question to you all is this - Im in my early 20s, no ties to UK except the usual (friends/family), I just dont want to wake up in 10 years time and wonder what if......however - never been to Dubai (although I have lived in Turkey for a while last year, so same religious beliefs albeit definately not as extreme as some things I have been reading!) so I have lived away from the UK before. Id be moving alone, I dont know anyone out there....am I mad for even considering? Has anyone else done this? Are there many others in the same situation, or have done this alone?

Researching more in depth now I see the flip side to all the pros for living out there and I am now thinking all of that topped with all I have mentioned, do I forget the whole thing or try it out as I could always come back???

All suggestions/advice appreciated, Id just like to hear from those of you who have been there, done it and worn out the t'shirt!

Many Thanks
Gem
xx

StublueKPL Apr 20th 2009 2:14 am

Re: A Single Gal in Dubai...?

Hi,

have a read of the stickies at the top of the forum (UAE history etc)

There are plenty of people out here who come on their own to experience Dubai. And there are plenty of single girls here (its reckoned that there are over 11000 emirates cabin crew alone - dont know what percentage are girls but it must be pretty high)

I wouldnt worry to much about the religious side of things but you obviously do have to respect the local laws and traditions. If im honest and depending on your job you will be dealing more with Brits/Aussies/Indians/South Africans etc rather than emiratis.

there are certainly people with a lot more experience out here than me who may be able to guide you better on this - BC ,Commander, spugsy etc (ive been coming here on/off for around 6 years but as for living permanently, only a year or so because of my job.)

Plenty of nightlife etc if thats what you are after (as long as you dont mind paying rip off prices for a drink!!)

Emerald_Eyes Apr 20th 2009 3:28 am

Hi GemsyB

I am 28 and I moved to Dubai by myself about a year and a half ago and although for me it was a lot of hard work sorting out a place to live, buying a car etc, it was definitely worth it - I am so glad that I went with my gut feeling and went for it even though it was scary as hell at the time. I didn't want to miss out on the experience and also the great career progression it would mean for me personally.

Coming to interview here for the job first was what sold it to me. I could see myself living and being happy here, so it is definitely worth coming for the interview even if you decide you don't want the job. I have loved the lifestyle that you can have in Dubai, but as I am sure you have read in the other threads and in the media, it is not all roses. If you are going to make the move, you have to make sure that your company is paying you adequately to do so and that you know of all the risks and negatives, as well as the positives before making the decision.

Good luck x

The Dean Apr 20th 2009 3:33 am

Originally Posted by GemsyB (Post 7494473)
Hi All,
Very new to this site so apologies if I sound too much like a newbie!

I was contacted last week by a recruitment agency who have discussed what sounds like a fantastic package/salary etc etc for a role in Dubai that is exactly what I am looking for....I know all too well - that old chestnut 'If its too good to be true it usually is!!!!' ...AND the company want to see me for an interview end of this week....Eeeek, things are moving quite fast!!

So.....my question to you all is this - Im in my early 20s, no ties to UK except the usual (friends/family), I just dont want to wake up in 10 years time and wonder what if......however - never been to Dubai (although I have lived in Turkey for a while last year, so same religious beliefs albeit definately not as extreme as some things I have been reading!) so I have lived away from the UK before. Id be moving alone, I dont know anyone out there....am I mad for even considering? Has anyone else done this? Are there many others in the same situation, or have done this alone?

Researching more in depth now I see the flip side to all the pros for living out there and I am now thinking all of that topped with all I have mentioned, do I forget the whole thing or try it out as I could always come back???

All suggestions/advice appreciated, Id just like to hear from those of you who have been there, done it and worn out the t'shirt!

Many Thanks
Gem
xx

Hello Gemsy,

I'm fascinated by something - in the depths of the worst global economic slump for generations (which Dubai has most certainly not managed to escape), precisely what constitutes a "fantastic" salary package?

What sort of work is it? Care to share what sort of numbers we are talking about here?

I'm just wondering why they need to pay so well right now. [No offence to you or your skills]

And you haven't met the actual employer yet? Could it just be the pimp... sorry, recruitment agency, is hyping things up a bit?

Having said all that............. if it turns out to be genuine, go for it. Living and working abroad has been the most rewarding - and I don't just mean financially - thing I've ever done.

Granpinto Apr 20th 2009 4:11 am

Hi Gem,

Provided that you follow the usual rules for single girls anywhere then I can't see any problems for young girls living here. Its a lot safer than most cities in the UK.
The cost of living is much higher than Europe but prices are dropping everyday and property is presently stagnant.
Apart from Oxford St, its got some of the best shopping in the world and all in brand new malls. You can import stuff easily and they usually waive the duty for residents so internet shopping is OK. Although the post is slow. It can take up to 21 days to get stuff from the USA.
Taxis are fairly cheap and licensed although its best to know where you're going as some drivers are illiterate and may not know the route, or speak any English. If you find a good driver take his gsm and use him privately.
The weather is hot in the summer and can reach 50c for short periods. The winters are cool and sometimes rainy with sandstorms. But after 10 months of blue skies the rain can be a welcome sight.
You can go skiing on real snow with Olympic standard instructors, or world-class scuba-diving in Fujairah or Muscat. Or just fry in the sun on a private beach. Best to avoid the public beaches, unless you crave attention from several hundred goggle-eyed Indians.
If your company has a decent PRO then the paperwork should be completed in a short time. There is some restriction on females under 24 but for some countries, like the UK, they turn a blind eye.
If you like the idea of living in a brand new city that is being built around you as you work, then come on over.

Good Luck

MataHari Apr 20th 2009 4:19 am

the only difference between the private beach and the public beach is the nationality of the men doing the oggling...and the ones on the private beach just hide behind sunglasses...
There is nothing wrong or scary about going to the public beaches or to Jumeirah Beach park...

if the package really is that fantastic, give it a try...but you might like to post more specifically about what it is they are offering you to get a better perspective on it from people who actually live here, never rely on the sales crap from a recuitment agency...

Blue Cat Apr 20th 2009 4:20 am

hiya Gemsy, I am with The Dean on this one, you need to share your package information before making any decision. People here who have years of Middle East experience are losing their jobs left right and centre. If you are being offered the right package with a reputable Company then I say go for it. Are you a Teacher by any chance?

Spugsy Apr 20th 2009 5:52 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7494719)
the only difference between the private beach and the public beach is the nationality of the men doing the oggling...and the ones on the private beach just hide behind sunglasses...
There is nothing wrong or scary about going to the public beaches or to Jumeirah Beach park...

if the package really is that fantastic, give it a try...but you might like to post more specifically about what it is they are offering you to get a better perspective on it from people who actually live here, never rely on the sales crap from a recuitment agency...

I only go to jumeirah beach park, it's absolutely fine.

lionheart Apr 20th 2009 5:55 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7494871)
I only go to jumeirah beach park, it's absolutely fine.

You should be a devil and try Al Mumzar Beach one weekend.

Morecambe Mindy Apr 20th 2009 6:13 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7494880)
You should be a devil and try Al Mumzar Beach one weekend.

Went there a few weeks ago, there were decency police making fat sweaty men cover up.... RESULT!!!

zamboooka Apr 20th 2009 8:12 am

*PERVERTED STARE*

BitterSweet Apr 20th 2009 8:30 am

What consitutes "the Right Package" in Dubai??? ...

zamboooka Apr 20th 2009 8:32 am

Originally Posted by BitterSweet (Post 7495273)

well rounded bummy and D's... minimum!

Blue Cat Apr 20th 2009 8:33 am

enough to be able to have a decent standard of living, pay your rent etc.

commander Apr 20th 2009 8:35 am

shaven haven...