British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Single Female RSA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/single-female-rsa-911052/)

wigankebab Mar 29th 2018 12:28 pm

Single Female RSA

Visiting partner in KSA on a tourist visa (which apparently could be a reality soon). Thoughts? Safe? Dangerous?

scot47 Mar 29th 2018 1:25 pm

Re: Single Female RSA

RSA ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA

wigankebab Mar 29th 2018 1:51 pm

sorry KSA

Millhouse Mar 29th 2018 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by wigankebab (Post 12472517)
Visiting partner in KSA on a tourist visa (which apparently could be a reality soon). Thoughts? Safe? Dangerous?

Perfectly safe. Very dull.

In my answer I have assumed that by partner you mean husband/ wife and it’s not a same sex deal.

wigankebab Mar 29th 2018 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12472564)
Perfectly safe. Very dull.

In my answer I have assumed that by partner you mean husband/ wife and it’s not a same sex deal.

By partner I mean boyfriend, not married. :unsure:

Millhouse Mar 29th 2018 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by wigankebab (Post 12472568)

Then no, don’t do it. Meet him in Dubai.

mikelincs Mar 29th 2018 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by wigankebab (Post 12472568)

So you fancy a few months or years in a nice comfortable jail cell? :rofl::rofl:

wigankebab Mar 29th 2018 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12472584)
So you fancy a few months or years in a nice comfortable jail cell? :rofl::rofl:

That's my thoughts. He seems to think it'll be ok from next month when they start to issue tourist visas to single female travellers. And the fact he's in a compound. I'm not so confident.

scot47 Mar 29th 2018 4:16 pm

This shows no understanding of the way things are in KSA. Unmarried couples cannot cohabit - even as visitors. Being on a compound is not any different.

wigankebab Mar 29th 2018 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12472633)
This shows no understanding of the way things are in KSA. Unmarried couples cannot cohabit - even as visitors. Being on a compound is not any different.

I'm not going. If he really wants me to then he can just marry me. Otherwise tough.

scot47 Mar 29th 2018 5:04 pm

A wise decision !

carcajou Mar 30th 2018 1:28 am

Originally Posted by wigankebab (Post 12472644)
I'm not going. If he really wants me to then he can just marry me. Otherwise tough.

This level of clarity and wisdom is unusual for people posting about this situation. Well done.

nonthaburi Mar 30th 2018 3:49 pm

On a compound no problems at all. I say go for it.

I'd be wary of being together outside the compound though. But having said that, in all my time here, through all the police checkpoints, checking into numerous hotels, not once has anyone checked my wife's Iqama.

As a previous poster said though, it's not the most exciting of places. Very good for clothes shopping though if that's your thing.

I wouldn't be hopeful about the tourist visas being up and running in April. They've said April but it's all gone a bit quiet. I'm guessing you're over 25, because unaccompanied females under 25 have to visit with a guardian.

FriendlyExpat Mar 30th 2018 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by wigankebab (Post 12472620)
That's my thoughts. He seems to think it'll be ok from next month when they start to issue tourist visas to single female travellers. And the fact he's in a compound. I'm not so confident.

You'll be fine IF the visa rules permit you to visit where he is based (I haven't seen the tourist visa rules yet).

If he's in a western compound, you'll be 100% safe whatever you do, and if you are travelling together outside the compound you'll also 99.99% be safe, but be discreet, no hand holding and wear a dark abaya etc to avoid raising any eyebrows. If you are really paranoid you could always obtain a homemade "marriage certificate" but really not necessary. I've never seen any western expat being asked to prove marriage. Note that if you and your partner do not obviously share the same ethnicity, I would be slightly more cautious as the authorities might see that as a sign you are not married (but still low risk).

scot47 Mar 30th 2018 4:59 pm

No one can say how the as yet untested Tourist Visas will operate. Will ther be freedom of movement withing KSA ? Will holders be able to choose where they find accommodation. The Pilgrim Visa as I recall has conditions attached.