Reload this Page >

single female moving to jeddah

single female moving to jeddah

Old Dec 17th 2013, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

GemmaRx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default single female moving to jeddah

Hi everyone
Just been doing a bit of research on the kingdom and found this forum so thought i would pop on.. introduce myself.. and maybe get a bit of advice
so im gemma.. im 23 and a single female from liverpool moving to jeddah in approximatly 3 weeks.
my job offer and benefits, i feel, are amazing. My accomedation is included. Plus a car and driver. Along with bonus's. And a standard wage.
Ive looked into the way of life in jeddah for single females and i think i pretty much understand the way of life.
i was just wondering if anybody had any advice on what to do and not to do.. what to bring and what to leave at home? Should i purchase an abaya before leaving the uk?
Any advice is appreciatted
thanks guys
Old Dec 17th 2013, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: single female moving to jeddah

Bring your abaya with you, as for what to bring, you can get most things in Jeddah, with some obvious exceptions!

Most women I know here bring their own shampoo and conditioner with them, as its tough to get their preferred brand / type.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mr Andy
Bring your abaya with you, as for what to bring, you can get most things in Jeddah, with some obvious exceptions!

Most women I know here bring their own shampoo and conditioner with them, as its tough to get their preferred brand / type.
Thankyou andy
I was worries about packing my life into a suitcase. Haha!
And as for the hair products i will bring my own but im actually going to be working in a hair salon so i suppose i struck lucky there
Old Dec 17th 2013, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

And about the abaya.. am i best purchasing a plain black one? Thanks
Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GemmaRx
You've obviously thought a lot about this, but it is still a very big step to take. You deserve to succeed though - good luck.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Dean
You've obviously thought a lot about this, but it is still a very big step to take. You deserve to succeed though - good luck.
Thanks i appreciatte the support. I have thought about it a lot.. and i know its going to be VERY different. But the opportunity is amazing
Old Dec 18th 2013, 3:18 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GemmaRx
Yes - plain black best, and long enough that it sweeps the floor and gets the hem dirty. You can get more when you're out there.

Bring the abaya on the plane with you, since you'll need to wear it on landing. Just pull it on over you, when you see all the other women doing the same on the flight.

Gemma - a note of caution as you are young and single, and will be relatively vulnerable in the sense that "bad" people could see you as a target. Bring a UK mobile that has international roaming capabilities. Carry it with you at all times. Make sure you have the British Embassy/Consult emergency number for Jeddah in your phone. Also whilst your employer may need your passport on occasions, they should not keep it and should return it when you ask them for it. If they don't, take this as a very large warning sign, and contact the BE. Check your contract for number of leave days (are they calendar or work days) and when are you allowed to take annual leave? How many days per week and how many hours per week do you have to work? Make sure you know your contract so you are not exploited. At any moment that your spider sense tingles that something is not right, listen to it and act on it.
Treat alcohol/drinking/etc as you would in some dodgy nightclubs in Liverpool; never get so tipsy that you don't know what you are doing; never travel alone if you have consumed alcohol; never drink strange gifted drinks; never leave your drink unattended.

Keep safe, and good luck.
OS
Old Dec 18th 2013, 4:07 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

some good advice there . Also . I would be careful with taxis and try to avoid them on your own . My wife has had numerous instances with taxi drivers where they come across as overly friendly if you know what I mean .
Old Dec 18th 2013, 4:24 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
some good advice there . Also . I would be careful with taxis and try to avoid them on your own . My wife has had numerous instances with taxi drivers where they come across as overly friendly if you know what I mean .
As in Dubai do not sit in the front passenger seat, in their countries (Indian sub continent) it comes across as an invitation.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
As in Dubai do not sit in the front passenger seat, in their countries (Indian sub continent) it comes across as an invitation.
I've never had a taxi driver try it on with me when I sit up front, is there something wrong with me?
Old Dec 18th 2013, 5:27 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I've never had a taxi driver try it on with me when I sit up front, is there something wrong with me?
Yes you're obviously not trying hard enough with the mascara/kohl, nail polish, lipstick and perfume. Also how short are your skirts?
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:23 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

im actually going to be working in a hair salon
Gemma - call my cynical, but please please check that this is legitimate. Is the company reputable? Have you seen photos of the salon? Most hairdressers in the Middle East are Philiipinas as they are much cheaper. Of course you may be the token white girl as manageress or similar, but there is also a real possibility this might be an excuse to get you out there for other activities. Please keep your wits about you and reassure yourself this is a totally legit company before you go there.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Gemma - call my cynical, but please please check that this is legitimate. Is the company reputable? Have you seen photos of the salon? Most hairdressers in the Middle East are Philiipinas as they are much cheaper. Of course you may be the token white girl as manageress or similar, but there is also a real possibility this might be an excuse to get you out there for other activities. Please keep your wits about you and reassure yourself this is a totally legit company before you go there.

Old Dec 18th 2013, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys.. i appreciatte the concern. The salon is reputable world wide. I dont think i would make such a big leap if it wasnt.
The contract has been read ten times over haha. I went through it with a fine tooth comb.
And im hoping taxis wont be much concern due to me having a car and driver with my colleagues.
Thanks again guys
Old Dec 19th 2013, 2:21 am
womble

Ok - keep that phone on you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.