Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Should we just live in a camper van?

Should we just live in a camper van?

Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

alitrist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should we just live in a camper van?

Hi All,

My wife and two young children will be moving to Dubai in Feb and was wondering if anybody could suggest any half decent places to live... a work "friend" (and I use that term very loosley!!) suggested the springs?? and that rent for a three bed villa was around AED85000...

Any info from you guys on the ground would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should we just live in a camper van?

Hi,

whereabouts will you be working?

kc
x
Old Dec 18th 2009, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by alitrist View Post
Hi All,

My wife and two young children will be moving to Dubai in Feb and was wondering if anybody could suggest any half decent places to live... a work "friend" (and I use that term very loosley!!) suggested the springs?? and that rent for a three bed villa was around AED85000...

Any info from you guys on the ground would be appreciated.

Cheers
That's the way it is. It is good that your are aware that Dxb is an expensive place to live unless you have a well adjusted package!!! (Careful how you read that!)
Old Dec 18th 2009, 10:35 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

If you could get a 3 bed in the Springs for 85k you'd be doing amazingly well. Recent prices suggest about 120 - 160 depending on type and location. For 85 you might get a 2 bed flat somewhere. What is your budget and where are you working?

Also, search Dubizzle but realize that prices in most locales are very negotiable.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

No package has been finalised yet.... I know this sounds bad!!!

But its a pretty much done deal that I will be coming out just need to get the numbers correct!! Looking through the website and google there seems to be so much differing info some say dubai AED40k per month for the whole family is good others say AED80k.... a bit lost to be honest. I was due to come out 2 years ago with Aldar Laing O' Rourkes on Al Raha and went to AD for about a week to set things up.... needless to say I didnt take it and it has proved to be a blessing seeing what happened a year and a half later!!!

The bottom line is I want to get as much as I can without being too outlandish.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Guys will working from Ras Al Khor if that helps
Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:02 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

No package has been finalised yet.... I know this sounds bad!!!

But its a pretty much done deal that I will be coming out just need to get the numbers correct!! Looking through the website and google there seems to be so much differing info some say dubai AED40k per month for the whole family is good others say AED80k.... a bit lost to be honest. I was due to come out 2 years ago with Aldar Laing O' Rourkes on Al Raha and went to AD for about a week to set things up.... needless to say I didnt take it and it has proved to be a blessing seeing what happened a year and a half later!!!

The bottom line is I want to get as much as I can without being too outlandish.
Are you talking rent or salary "per month"?! Rents are generally expressed in yearly terms here - so "85k per year" - this comes from the fact that, up until last year, the landlord would ask (and get) the whole year's rent upfront in one fat cheque. Depending on whether your kids are going to be at nursery or school or just at home, 40k is pretty good... obviously the more the better! Schooling is expensive here, but get the company to pay the fees. In general terms, try to get the company to pay for everything direct - preferably not in the form of "allowances" cos they're just a breakdown of your salary and any variation will be picked up by you.

Springs/Meadows is generally considered to be good for families, but after looking around the place, we (Mr Kitty, myself and daughter... now plus son) decided that an apartment in the Marina was better for us in terms of value for money (hahahahahahaha, yeah), accessibility (I don't need a car to get to the shops/ plaground/ M&B group/ Mall) and, well, at the time we were looking, the only villas available were backing onto a 4 lane road, which was definitely a step down in quality of life.

Things will have changed since then, but my advice would be to secure preferably a month in serviced apartments paid for by the company and take the time to look around at areas that you'll all feel happy in. Don't rule anywhere out before having seen it. In the same vein, don't set your heart on anywhere before you've seen it!

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Dec 18th 2009 at 2:07 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

had a chat with an estate agent today from Better Homes (any good guys?)
He told me that he currently has 2 bed Villas for AED90k-120k but then he told me about the taxes! 5%commission, 5% Municiple Charge, Gardening costs etc etc.... whats the deal people?
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

how much are nursery fees for 2 year olds?
Old Dec 18th 2009, 9:48 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

ooo, you got a 2 year old too! Snap!

Estate Agent is right... 5% fee for him (you can try telling him that the Landlord should pay it), 5% deposit (fair 'nuff) and 5% for DEWA, although I'm not sure we've ever had to pay that. Saying that, we haven't had a bill yet. Hmmm.

Nursery fees... as everything, it depends how long you need the care for, where you are, how picky you are. Will your wife be working? It might be more financially viable to hire a "nanny" (use the term loosly). I think when I briefly looked into nurseries for Miss Kitty, hmm... I've got 4500EAD per term stuck in my mind, for 3 days? Can't quite remember, but I'll be looking into it when I get back in Jan.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

www.moveindubai.com they dont take commission, really helpful guys, all english as well so no language problems. I found them really helpful.

x
Old Dec 19th 2009, 4:32 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Over in Garhoud you pay about AED3,500 a term I recall, the first Sep-Dec term always being more expensive than the other two. We are now paying less for our 6yo than we did when she was only 3yo as nursery schools are a rip-off.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 7:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

He told me that he currently has 2 bed Villas for AED90k-120k but then he told me about the taxes! 5%commission, 5% Municiple Charge, Gardening costs etc etc.... whats the deal people?

Be warned - the 2 bed places in The Springs are tiny. As others have said, don't agree to rent anywhere without having seen it. Also ensure that your package includes school fees.

-
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:52 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... Sounds like their LL's are getting even cheekier.. Or they are...

I rented my first place thru BH.. All I paid was the massively over-priced rental for a 3E and the 5% commission (No way around that, unless you get the LL to pay it... which, right now, I would push for.).

The other stuff (Municipal Charge, Gardening etc..) is either something the LL pays or is open to negotiation...

My gardener bill for a Springs garden was 150dhs a month...
Old Dec 21st 2009, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

the two bed villas in the springs are really naff, i wouldnt advise anyone to live in them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.