Reload this Page >

Should I be worried?

Should I be worried?

Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Travel Girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I be worried?

Hi

I have been in Dubai since the 12 Sep and have had a nightmare trying to rent a Villa. We wanted to be on the Ranches as that is where my son is going to school. The first villa we put a deposit on the landlord sent through the lease agreement stating he wanted 2 years rent up front! 2 x AED240k!

We found something else on Thursday, brand new and vacant and have put down AED10k deposit and are hoping to move in next Sunday, as now having to pay storage on our shipping. We drove by the villa yesterday, to show my son who has just returned from a school only to find a car parked outside. My husband looked through the window to find several people sleeping on the floor! He then rang on the bell and more people came down stairs! None of them spoke English so we left, none the wiser.

We contacted the letting agent, who said she would try and contact the landlord, we haven't heard anything back from her. Couldn't stand it if we lost another one!

Should I be worried??!!!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all
Default Re: Should I be worried?

They might just be the workers putting the finishing touches to your villa??
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:59 am
Just Joined

There were women and children?!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

it doesnt sound too good, need to 'keep on at the agent' best to go around there and do a sit in, until they sort it out for you.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Oh!!!
Good luck!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i have heard that in dubai the landlords now are asking for more than one years rent, in the case of a friend of mine, she had to pay 250 x 3 years, all you do is give them post dated cheques, at least that way your rent is not going to go up in that period and at least you know that you should be able to stay put for that time period as well, so it does have its good points (other than you having to make sure that once those cheques are presented there is money in the account to cover it, otherwise you would be in trouble)
Old Oct 18th 2008, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would NEVER pay three years' advance, especially in this city. Dubai runs the real risk of a significant economic collapse within the next few years and I wouldn't be surprised to see rental prices collapsing.

As for the villa-what nationality were the unexpected guests? What kind of car were they driving? If the people were sleeping on the floors in the front rooms, I'd think that they were temporary gatecrashers, so to speak, that some construction manager is letting to inhabit the place for a few days or weeks. If the car was a good model, the people Western, then yes, you might have a little trouble on your hands.

Originally Posted by busybee2
i have heard that in dubai the landlords now are asking for more than one years rent, in the case of a friend of mine, she had to pay 250 x 3 years, all you do is give them post dated cheques, at least that way your rent is not going to go up in that period and at least you know that you should be able to stay put for that time period as well, so it does have its good points (other than you having to make sure that once those cheques are presented there is money in the account to cover it, otherwise you would be in trouble)
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Akitect is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by busybee2
I dont get this whole 'paying 2 years advance rent' lark! Does that mean you are contracted to the landlord to stay there? What happens if you lose your job and you dont get an NOC and you cant stay in the country anymore?Do you forfeit the money? Sorry if I sound really stupid, just gont get it.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone, but I just found out that the people in the house were in fact my non English speaking landlord and his family down from Abu Dhabi!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:44 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

given the fact that for the last 4 yrs landlords would have prefered 6 month agreements so they could raise the price twice a year, i'd say that was sign that they are worried that rents might start to go down.

oh and i wouldnt pay three years upfornt even if you put a gun to my head, especially not when its about £100,000.
What are they, ****ing insane,?
with that kind of lump sum deposit any UK bank manager would currently perform fellatio on you and loan you any amount you wanted to buy a stately home, you could go to asia and retire or make some very serious inroads into a retirement plan in the markets, heck you could buy half of florida for that at the moment and people are paying that here for rent, £100k upfront no frkin way
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Simao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really nice

****ing upfront.. I hate the U word!!