Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Should I Take A Job In Dammam???

Should I Take A Job In Dammam???

Old Jan 26th 2007, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

daverock is just really nicedaverock is just really nicedaverock is just really nicedaverock is just really nicedaverock is just really nicedaverock is just really nicedaverock is just really nicedaverock is just really nice
Question Should I Take A Job In Dammam???

Hi,
I have a chance to work for an international crane company in Dammam. I would like to take my wife & two boys (18 months).
Can anyone offer any advice? Does anyone know whats there (shops, leisure, is there a large expat comunity?).
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by daverock; Jan 26th 2007 at 1:25 pm. Reason: wrong spelling!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 5:00 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I Take A Job In Dammam???

Don't go.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 8:24 am
Just Joined

daverock is just really nicedaverock is just really nicedaverock is just really nicedaverock is just really nicedaverock is just really nicedaverock is just really nicedaverock is just really nicedaverock is just really nice

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Don't go.
Ha!
Thanks for that northern lad. I don't suppose you could elaborate a little?
Old Jan 27th 2007, 8:49 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Outside the compounds there is no leisure on offer, shopping malls is about it.

Security would be my big concern, spent 2 years working there and hated it. Still have to do a bit travel to Saudi and would prefer a visit to the dentists for root canal. Without anesthetic.

I would never live there with a family - do you have possibilty of living in Bahrain and travelling to Saudi over causeway? That is a better option.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 11:07 am
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Outside the compounds there is no leisure on offer, shopping malls is about it.

Security would be my big concern, spent 2 years working there and hated it. Still have to do a bit travel to Saudi and would prefer a visit to the dentists for root canal. Without anesthetic.

I would never live there with a family - do you have possibilty of living in Bahrain and travelling to Saudi over causeway? That is a better option.
If you can be certain in advance that the compound is a really decent one, with nice people and plenty of facilites, and if you are also getting a VAST salary to go, then maybe.

Also if your wife is happy homemaking, because if she's itching to start work again the situation is likely to be miserable. If she wants to write a book, or study online, then she might find enough happinness there.

I once met an American couple of late-middle-age who loved Saudi. They were the kind of people that liked living in a bubble - the wife was anyway - so for her, compound life was this wonderful hermetically sealed environment of barbecues and dinner parties with the other compound residents.

That would drive me insane to the point of eating my own liver. But different strokes for different folks, etc.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:16 am
"Ohhhhhhhh no he isn't!"

Location: Cambridgeshire countryside - so... not an expat per se, but I aspire to be.
Mrs_Twanky has a brilliant futureMrs_Twanky has a brilliant futureMrs_Twanky has a brilliant futureMrs_Twanky has a brilliant futureMrs_Twanky has a brilliant futureMrs_Twanky has a brilliant futureMrs_Twanky has a brilliant future

Heh - The advice you got was "Don't go". Allow me to elaborate: DON'T GO!!!

If you could imagine the good people at Disney, trying to think up a theme park that represented the torments of Hell, they could do no better than simply copy Saudi Arabia. For the sake of your kid. Don't go. - I read that Dubai has something like 30% of the worlds construction cranes, - go there.

T.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mrs_Twanky
Heh - The advice you got was "Don't go". Allow me to elaborate: DON'T GO!!!

If you could imagine the good people at Disney, trying to think up a theme park that represented the torments of Hell, they could do no better than simply copy Saudi Arabia. For the sake of your kid. Don't go. - I read that Dubai has something like 30% of the worlds construction cranes, - go there.

T.
Thanks Mrs Twanky, LOL!!!
Think I may take a rain check on Dammam!
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:22 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daverock
Thanks Mrs Twanky, LOL!!!
Think I may take a rain check on Dammam!
Use the search function, and search the Middle East forum for "saudi"
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by daverock
Ha!
Thanks for that northern lad. I don't suppose you could elaborate a little?
really don't go!!!!