Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Should i ask for more ?

Should i ask for more ?

Old May 28th 2013, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

kingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the rough
Default Should i ask for more ?

I have applied for , and been offered a job in Qatar for a governmental organisation , and i have got the offer that was almost exactly what i wanted.

It is basically double my wages, and governmental accommodation thrown in as well. Usual other perks such as private medical, end of year bonus and flights home at the start, at the end and once during the year. I have no kids or spouse and so am just supporting myself.

My question is, is it normal for HR in Qatari government organisations to low ball you and to have a bit of negotiation or when they make the offer is that generally it ?

My quandary is that if try to negotiate a higher deal they might rescind the offer, and this would be heartbreaking, also i feel as though i am probably being greedy , risking basically the offer of a lifetime and a bit of adventure for the sake of a a few grand a year.

To answer the question that normally gets asked , my main motivations are the filthy lucre but also the chance to live in the middle east ( i can hear the rush of wind as a thousand forum regulars raise an eyebrow at the last part of that sentence )

Any advice gratefully received guys
Old May 28th 2013, 1:16 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should i ask for more ?

I have no experience of employment negotiations with governmental organisations in the region. My advice regarding a commercial organisation would to almost always ask for more. However, given that you're only contemplating a few grand more, and that your disposable income is probably going to be a couple of 100% higher than it is now, do you really want to risk it? I don't think I would--to say that governmental organisations in the region are capricious would be an understatement.
Old May 28th 2013, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

kingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I have no experience of employment negotiations with governmental organisations in the region. My advice regarding a commercial organisation would to almost always ask for more. However, given that you're only contemplating a few grand more, and that your disposable income is probably going to be a couple of 100% higher than it is now, do you really want to risk it? I don't think I would--to say that governmental organisations in the region are capricious would be an understatement.
All my friends and family are saying ask for more, but i agree with your thought process, private company i would always go back , but i wasn't sure about government.

I think i should not be so worried about a couple grand and just call this one a win.

Thanks Bahtatboy,
Old May 28th 2013, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

boyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant futureboyfrombangor has a brilliant future

It's settled then. See you soon. It's your round, by the way.

If your bonus is discretionary, they'd probably just deduct any increased salary off it anyhow. 100% bump and accomm and tax free, mustn't grumble.

Although I bloody will. How do you all get these plum government jobs? And will Ashghal be hiring?
Old May 28th 2013, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by boyfrombangor
It's settled then. See you soon. It's your round, by the way.

If your bonus is discretionary, they'd probably just deduct any increased salary off it anyhow. 100% bump and accomm and tax free, mustn't grumble.

Although I bloody will. How do you all get these plum government jobs? And will Ashghal be hiring?
oh man , i would but i left my wallet in the dog, you might as well get the round in i'll be there in a bit
Old May 29th 2013, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

If it's anything like the UAE, I wouldn't. We interviewed a guy when I worked at the sovereign wealth fund, made him a (fantastic) offer, but no, he thought he'd push it an ask for more. They told him to get lost and withdrew their offer.
Old May 29th 2013, 12:02 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingsbury100
All my friends and family are saying ask for more, but i agree with your thought process, private company i would always go back , but i wasn't sure about government.

I think i should not be so worried about a couple grand and just call this one a win.

Thanks Bahtatboy,
Are these friends and family in the UK, or people in the ME who might have a vague idea how things work in this part of the world?
Old May 29th 2013, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

So spill the beans and reveal the details if you want our considered opinion. It would probably help if you also tell us what department you will be working for, your age and qualifications.
Old May 29th 2013, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
Are these friends and family in the UK, or people in the ME who might have a vague idea how things work in this part of the world?
Hi Meow,

A mixture but mainly people who are UK based . I think there might be a touch of Hollywood in their thinking where they feel as though you should try and haggle with every Arab.

I have decided to take their offer , I've basically got what I wanted, and I'm itching to get out , so let the good times roll
Old May 29th 2013, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Just think how p***ed off you'd be if they retracted the offer simply because you'd asked for a bit extra, on top of the 100% pay-rise already on the table.

As Meow says, trust us wise ME gurus, we occasionally speak sense...
Old May 29th 2013, 1:19 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Meow,

A mixture but mainly people who are UK based . I think there might be a touch of Hollywood in their thinking where they feel as though you should try and haggle with every Arab.

I have decided to take their offer , I've basically got what I wanted, and I'm itching to get out , so let the good times roll

There do seem to be a lot of people who think everyone haggles for everything out here!

If you think it's a decent offer, have done your sums and are happy, then go for it.

Good luck!
Old May 30th 2013, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your advice everyone,

accepted the offer , and hopefully should be out in the next couple of months ,

Gin and Tonics are on me
Old May 30th 2013, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

actually , just looked at the average price of alcohol , sod the G and T's,
pork scratchings for everyone
Old May 30th 2013, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

actually , just looked at the average price of alcohol , sod the G and T's,
pork scratchings for everyone
I'll pre-empt Mentalist's comment, skip the presumed sarcasm and advise that this is a muslim country and you won't get pork scratchings here.
Old May 30th 2013, 6:56 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Mogs
I'll pre-empt Mentalist's comment, skip the presumed sarcasm and advise that this is a muslim country and you won't get pork scratchings here.
You can get then in the UAE

I only know of one pub that has them though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.