Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Short term car rental for visitor?

Short term car rental for visitor?

Old Mar 9th 2011, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough
Default Short term car rental for visitor?

Hi, I used to live in AD but have been back in the UK two plus years and am coming out to see a mate and investigate a job offer. I need to get about a bit from Abu Dhabi and up to Dubai, Ajman etc. I need a car for a few days and prefer pick up from AD town centre if possible. I have a UK licence and think I still have a valid UAE licence - 10 years - issued when I was resident.

I have previously used Thrifty when I lived there. However I have found out they need two-three days notice on booking before you get the car and I really don't like how they photocopy your credit card, leave it lying around etc. in the shop.

Have any of you booked cars or have recommendations maybe for your friends or family that have visited? It seems a possibility to book here from the UK with Hertz or Avis etc. I would be looking at a Tiida or similar and want to be fully insured, collision damage waiver so I don't have any problems.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Short term car rental for visitor?

Hi there.

I used my UK licence plus I had an international one as well (got it from the AA for nothing back in England). I hired a car from one of the chains - I think I used Thrify and it was all very easily done.

You can book ahead on line and I have always found availability immediately if collecting it from Abu Dhabi airport, although you would pay a premium for this.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Tillybean
Hi there.

I used my UK licence plus I had an international one as well (got it from the AA for nothing back in England). I hired a car from one of the chains - I think I used Thrify and it was all very easily done.

You can book ahead on line and I have always found availability immediately if collecting it from Abu Dhabi airport, although you would pay a premium for this.
Thanks Tillybean...
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:57 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that your UAE driving licence is no longer legal once your residency is cancelled.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Meow
Be aware that your UAE driving licence is no longer legal once your residency is cancelled.
Thanks for that, I didn't know.