British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Shops in Duabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/shops-duabi-692328/)

Ellie and Jason Nov 5th 2010 10:57 am

Shops in Duabi

We are driving over to Dubai in a week and I understand there are lots of malls and all of which are pretty huge, so wanted to find out about some stores before we go!

We are looking to buy some lego, I am under the impression that there is only one store that sells it - does anyone know which one it is and what mall is it in?

I am also looking for a Lush store - again I understand there is one, does anyone know which mall it is in? Also the prices compared to the UK store?

Also where is the best place to get a Wii?

And a strange request, we are looking at getting a heater for our 8ft paddling pool (one of the easy up ones), as tbh up here in the mountains the water doesn't heat too well! :frown: So I was wondring if there was anywhere in Dubai that would sell this type of thing - we have managed to find filters in the Toys r Us here in Saudi, but no heaters!

Thanks in advance!

Ellie
xxx

lionheart Nov 5th 2010 11:14 am

Re: Shops in Duabi

Lego is sold in ToysRUs (Dubai Festival City) and Hamleys (Mirdif City Centre) as far as I know but you can probably find it in any mall. Never heard of Lush.

Kim67 Nov 5th 2010 11:42 am

Lego is expensive in Dubai compared to other places. Not sure about Lush. Carrefour at Mall of the Emirates has a big range of Wii stuff and has the best prices. I had some Virgin vouchers and tried to get them to drop their price to match Carrefour's on Mario Kart and some other Wii accessories I bought over summer, but they couldn't match it.

Ellie and Jason Nov 5th 2010 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 8963322)
Lego is expensive in Dubai compared to other places. .

unfortunately it is a needs must situation - we are staying in Saudi for xmas this year and our 6 year old son will wonder what he did to offend father christmas if he doesn't get any!!!;)

i think i may have found the lush store - in diera city centre???

thanks for the wii advice - we will be visiting carrfeour, as in desperate need for salted butter!!!! (strangely cannot seem to get it here!!??)

xxx

flares Nov 5th 2010 11:53 am

there's a Lush in Faisaliah Mall, Riyadh!!

Ellie and Jason Nov 5th 2010 11:58 am

Thank you - i had heard there was one in riyadh but couldnt find out for sure - unfortunately we live right down in the south of saudi - Abha although may possibly stop off in riyadh either on the way or on the way back from Duabi, so if i ahve no luck i can pop in there! :-)

xxx

lionheart Nov 5th 2010 12:29 pm

Please remember to post an informative road trip report upon your safe return to the Magic Kingdom, guys/gals. We would love to hear how you got on.

busybee2 Nov 5th 2010 12:48 pm

lego is expensive here, can you not get it sent from uk? by amazon etc. kids were looking at the big HP castle which in magrudys was nearly 1200 dirhams in comparison to the uk is 115 pounds so depending on the exchange rates its still nearer the 200 pounds a little bit of a mark up!!

Ellie and Jason Nov 5th 2010 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8963418)
Please remember to post an informative road trip report upon your safe return to the Magic Kingdom, guys/gals. We would love to hear how you got on.

Will do! :) And if we manage to drive back to UK next summer we will update on that too!

busybee2 - i am a bit dubious about having it posted to Saudi - i have had parcels sent to me here and they have never arrived and also 2 cards sent on the same day by the same person to us arrived 3 months apart from each other - will look into it though!

xxx

Blue Cat Nov 5th 2010 1:23 pm

Lush is in Burjuman and used to be in City Centre as well :)

busybee2 Nov 5th 2010 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ellie and Jason (Post 8963520)
Will do! :) And if we manage to drive back to UK next summer we will update on that too!

busybee2 - i am a bit dubious about having it posted to Saudi - i have had parcels sent to me here and they have never arrived and also 2 cards sent on the same day by the same person to us arrived 3 months apart from each other - will look into it though!

xxx

no u dont get it done by the post, you courier it etc. shop and ship. yes when we first arrived in ad 13 years ago there were no dvd shops etc you had to bring them with you, or get amazon to deliver them, well they would deliver them but they would get "lost" at the airport, and so amazon had to "send them again" after a while of mayble 10's disappearing it got a bit of a drag. but now the uae has shop and ship, dont know whether ksa does but things have improved we do now have shops that sell dvds, the only place years ago was spinneys, and they would perhaps have only a few, more choice now, so hopefully things dont go astray as much but perhaps if you can get them delivered make sure that they are insured so you can try and try again. when the mark up for lego is 40 odd percent is prob still cheaper getting them sent by courier, also with amazon they will not charge you vat so there is a saving too.

flares Nov 5th 2010 4:15 pm

Have those crazy Danes released a Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) lego figure yet?

hnd Nov 5th 2010 9:05 pm

You could try Dragonmart on Emirates Road near Mirdif for a pool heater ... they seem to sell pretty much everything else there.

Victor Meldrew Nov 6th 2010 4:05 am

Pool heater? maybe Ace hardware at Festival City.

Lush is in Deira City Centre, by Magrudy's/the cinema - just follow the smell! Prices are more than UK

Vimto Nov 6th 2010 9:52 am

Ellie and Jason,
something to remember, Dubai has same voltage (220V) and frequency (50Hz) as UK, you are coming from Saudi where the voltage is 110V and frequency is 60 Hz. For the pool heater and the Wii if you buy in Dubai you will need to have step down transformers and probably a large one for the pool heater