Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

shopping in the UK/ VAT exempt?

shopping in the UK/ VAT exempt?

Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

youngdoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shopping in the UK/ VAT exempt?

I just moved to Doha and have my RP. If i return to the UK and shop am i eligible to claim back any VAT?
Thanks
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shopping in the UK/ VAT exempt?

you can at marks and sparks.

make sure you have your passport with you when you shop. you'll need to see their customer advice dept and fill a form. you then present said form to vat refund desk at airport. you won't get full amount back but 10-15% I think
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by saudiflares
you can at marks and sparks.

make sure you have your passport with you when you shop. you'll need to see their customer advice dept and fill a form. you then present said form to vat refund desk at airport. you won't get full amount back but 10-15% I think
Im after picking up a Samsung S3 mobile so M&S won't do unfortunately...maybe Dixons at the airport?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Doc,

You have to have been out the UK for a full financial tax year to be exempt. You need to fill in the forms on the day of your purchase(- most companies do this when you pay if you ask for the tax free thingy) and carry the goods through with you to airside in the UK and file the forms there- they may ask to see everything you have bought, there is often a queue and it isnt quick so make sure you have time before you travel.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:25 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi Doc,

You have to have been out the UK for a full financial tax year to be exempt. You need to fill in the forms on the day of your purchase(- most companies do this when you pay if you ask for the tax free thingy) and carry the goods through with you to airside in the UK and file the forms there- they may ask to see everything you have bought, there is often a queue and it isnt quick so make sure you have time before you travel.
Or as with Manchester, they're never there.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

is the one financial tax year really necessary for this?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Never....

How's the kid in Dixon's to know how long you've been non-resident?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 5:46 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Never....

How's the kid in Dixon's to know how long you've been non-resident?
They don't. You still have to pay full price at the store. You don't get your money back until you get to the airport.

And like I said, the customs officials love doing a disappearing act when it comes to giving your money back (which by the way is done via credit card reimbursement within 28 days if I remember right). Often you have to just post the reclaim form because there's no one there.

Of course, without inspecting it, they love to claim you didn't have it etc etc.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea if I can pull this ruse off with an Amazon order that is exported?
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:29 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: shopping in the UK/ VAT exempt?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Any idea if I can pull this ruse off with an Amazon order that is exported?

In my experience they always deduct the VAT for items being mailed out of the EU (well they have when I've ordered stuff from the UK Amazon site and mailed out to me in Singapore and the USA).

Check the statement on your order. I think that even if they sub-contract out to third-parties they should have deducted the VAT for exported items.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
In my experience they always deduct the VAT for items being mailed out of the EU (well they have when I've ordered stuff from the UK Amazon site and mailed out to me in Singapore and the USA).

Check the statement on your order. I think that even if they sub-contract out to third-parties they should have deducted the VAT for exported items.
Ah sorry, I wasn't clear. What happens if I'm posting to a UK shop n Ship account (which then exports)...
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Ah sorry, I wasn't clear. What happens if I'm posting to a UK shop n Ship account (which then exports)...

No, they won't play.....I've asked about that myself
Old Jul 27th 2012, 5:07 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Shop to in country Aramex addresses and you pay the full in country tax (US or UK).

Shop direct to ME, and you pay higher shipping charges but get the price 20% VAT free. Depending on your country's tax (as not everyone lives in Dubai ya know ) you may have to pay around 5% import duty. I do for really big stuff, but then I've had big boxes of clothes sent over or things like Playmobil sent over in HUGE boxes, and because it's kids stuff or stuff the customs guys think is non-commercial they don't charge. Electronics though, they may well charge for. Which brings me to the point of ShopNShip - if there is an import duty you will pay that as Aramex charge you directly.

So be careful as with ShopNShip you could end up paying the VAT, and the courier costs, and the import duty.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Wysiwyg will become famous soon enoughWysiwyg will become famous soon enough

Slightly off topic I think I read somewhere that you can order from M&S and get shipped here for £15 and be exempt from VAT. Anyone know for sure?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 10:00 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

go to their website - for some countries you can do it online, and for others you have to go into the store in the UK, make your order, and then they will ship it to you (yeah, really helpful). the website names the countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.