Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Shock horror - Burj Dubai now officially delayed...

Shock horror - Burj Dubai now officially delayed...

Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:42 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shock horror - Burj Dubai now officially delayed...

Click!

The only surprise is that it's taken them this long to admit it. I do like the way that "sometime next year" can, and probably will, mean a whole 12 months' delay
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shock horror - Burj Dubai now officially delayed...

Originally Posted by Eeyore
Click!

The only surprise is that it's taken them this long to admit it. I do like the way that "sometime next year" can, and probably will, mean a whole 12 months' delay
stop being so negative........
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Major projects are often delayed - AirbusA380, Eurofighter etc....

Think it is only when the project has an enormous pressure of time - eg Olympics, Millenium Dome or Singapore GP that the will is there to pump in the money to complete on time....
Institute of PM reckons that only appx 20% of projects finish on time, to budget & to quality stds......
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:20 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Major projects are often delayed - AirbusA380, Eurofighter etc....
Oh, for sure. But in this case, Emaar have publicly stated in the past that there was no possibility of the project running beyond its December 2008 completion date.

Institute of PM reckons that only appx 20% of projects finish on time, to budget & to quality stds......
It's an easy target, but I'll take a pot-shot - that figure probably drops to about 0% in Dubai, right?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:01 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Click!

My my that's not the sort of thing you'd expect to hear out here...

N.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Biene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud of

Click!

Don't forget the amnesty, I have been told that this has affected many projects, Emaar used to have a very good record on completion dates
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:28 pm
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by Biene zwei
Don't forget the amnesty, I have been told that this has affected many projects
That was the whole point, I think
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Biene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud ofBiene zwei has much to be proud of

That was the whole point, I think
Oh ok, maybe that was my second blonde statement of tonight...
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

That's nothing compared to how long they take to do stuff in AD....

Dubai has completed three darned bridges in less time than it's taken Abu Dhabi to finish one......

The SZ Mosque has also had it's schedule, erm, realigned a good few times....

Me, I think the Burj is an amazing landmark - it's no biggie if it runs a bit late.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:30 pm
oh5
Forum Regular

oh5 is a name known to alloh5 is a name known to alloh5 is a name known to alloh5 is a name known to alloh5 is a name known to alloh5 is a name known to alloh5 is a name known to alloh5 is a name known to alloh5 is a name known to alloh5 is a name known to alloh5 is a name known to all

Burj Al Alam has been put on hold because KSA announced their project, for what will be the tallest building in the world.

Talk about competition for phallic representations of their egos
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oh5
Burj Al Alam has been put on hold because KSA announced their project, for what will be the tallest building in the world.

Talk about competition for phallic representations of their egos
Who cares.. mile high? at least the burj is getting there...
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:37 am
W10

Someone told me that one of the signals for the end of the world in the qu'ran is arabs competing to build tall towers in the sands....