Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Shipping of vehicle to Djibouti

Shipping of vehicle to Djibouti

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:46 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping of vehicle to Djibouti

Originally Posted by ubdai
Does anyone on the forum know of any companies in the UAE or can recommend one, that can ship in a container a 4x4 to Djibouti for an overland drive to Ethiopia. (Haven't decided on which make either a Land Rover or a Toyota)

Hoping it would be a cheaper option, buy a car in UAE and ship rather than in buy in Europe and ship.

Thanks
ubdai
Thanks for all info on 'driving licences'.

But I really do require info on shipping companies that can move vehciles.

ubdai
Well, that wasnt what you asked...

You asked for details of shipping companies here based on the incorrect assumption that you could legally purchase a vehicle in the UAE, and then ship it to Djibouti...

Since you cannot, you are enquiring on shipping a car from somewhere else, and we, in the Middle East, without knowing where from, cannot help..

Last edited by TGFKASE; Sep 23rd 2010 at 8:56 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Its amazing how a thread gets hijacked.

ubdai
In fairness, it wasn't. you need a license / visa to buy the car in the first place. Have you got someone here who will do that for you?

next job, would be to call a shipping company. GAC would be my starting point.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Interesting - and a point I've always wondered. When I have family over to visit (with an IDP) can they drive my car here? The insurance is unclear, just says 'valid license to drive'.

so far, they have only ever off-roaded my cars but, now I live in the middle of nowhere, it would be good if they could drive them on road.
My axa policy states;

"Young/Novice Driver Excess;
If at the time of an acccident, the vehicle is found to have been driven by anyone;
-under 25 years of age (completed age) and/or
-with less than 12 months valid UAE licence (other than transferable licence)
then, the Insured shall bear 10% of the claim, in addition to the normal policy excess."

again, vague but leads to believe that it's fine if the have a European license? Not that any of my visitors will bother there arse driving anyway.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

There is quite a re-export market from Dubai to the Horn of Africa, amongst other destinations.

Either models direct from Japan (LHD) or UAE damaged that are too old / not worth repairing.

Plenty of Toyota 'Surfs' head that way. They are shipped out on Dhows from Dubai creek - it may be worth getting down there and making some enquiries.

I presume if you ship straight away you won't need a driving licence, the seller will take it for shipping. However, are you planning to register it in Dubai - hence the residency issue? If you directly export/re-export and register elsewhere, maybe the residency issue also disappears. No fixed rules here!
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all info on 'driving licences'.

But I really do require info on shipping companies that can move vehciles.

ubdai
http://www.auto-uae.com/auto.shtml?newcars
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:57 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
My axa policy states;

"Young/Novice Driver Excess;
If at the time of an acccident, the vehicle is found to have been driven by anyone;
-under 25 years of age (completed age) and/or
-with less than 12 months valid UAE licence (other than transferable licence)
then, the Insured shall bear 10% of the claim, in addition to the normal policy excess."

again, vague but leads to believe that it's fine if the have a European license? Not that any of my visitors will bother there arse driving anyway.
My understanding of that is that if you obtained a UAE licence within the last 12 months via the transferable licence scheme, they can still drive the car..
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Try

+253 35 69 70
Its the SDV office in Djibouti The guy was called Bruno but he may have moved on. They should be able to get it picked up in DXB and shiped from JAFZA his email was [email protected]

They were quite a good operation and they have an operation on the ground.

Stay in the Kempinski and keep away from the town centre as the US Marines and French FL are crazy.

Mike
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:41 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

See, there you go. A little hissing fit and it all comes good for you.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

the fact that he was taking it to East Africa made me feel sorry for him. I don't miss my trips to Khartoum one bit.

Mike
Old Sep 24th 2010, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
My understanding of that is that if you obtained a UAE licence within the last 12 months via the transferable licence scheme, they can still drive the car..
when I read it again, that makes a bit more sense. doh!