British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Shipping of vehicle to Djibouti (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/shipping-vehicle-djibouti-686466/)

ubdai Sep 22nd 2010 9:21 am

Shipping of vehicle to Djibouti

Does anyone on the forum know of any companies in the UAE or can recommend one, that can ship in a container a 4x4 to Djibouti for an overland drive to Ethiopia. (Haven't decided on which make either a Land Rover or a Toyota)

Hoping it would be a cheaper option, buy a car in UAE and ship rather than in buy in Europe and ship.

Thanks
ubdai

Madam Medusa Sep 22nd 2010 9:31 am

Re: Shipping of vehicle to Djibouti

do you have dubai residence visa...? i think you can only buy a car here if you do, but someone will correct me if i'm wrong...

MM, xx

MataHari Sep 22nd 2010 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8867485)
do you have dubai residence visa...? i think you can only buy a car here if you do, but someone will correct me if i'm wrong...

MM, xx

I think you can buy a car...it's just that you can't drive it as you need a Dubai driving license, and you can't get a license without your residency visa...

ubdai Sep 22nd 2010 11:03 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8867502)
I think you can buy a car...it's just that you can't drive it as you need a Dubai driving license, and you can't get a license without your residency visa...

I believe you can drive on an IDP as long as you also carry your home licence of where you are a citizen.

Please can we get back to the original thread of shipping agents for cars.

ubdai

MataHari Sep 22nd 2010 11:23 am

Originally Posted by ubdai (Post 8867654)
I believe you can drive on an IDP as long as you also carry your home licence of where you are a citizen.

ubdai

no you can't...without a dubai license you can only drive a rental car.

Madam Medusa Sep 22nd 2010 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8867502)

no, i am pretty sure you need a residency visa, i remember we had to wait a few weeks to get our car whilst the paperwork was being sorted...this article on arabian business says the same... http://www.arabianbusiness.com/49906...n-the-emirates

MM, xx

TGFKASE Sep 22nd 2010 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by ubdai (Post 8867654)

ubdai

Lets face it, if you cant buy a car in the UAE without a Residence Visa, that surely changes your plans...

Listen to advice...

flares Sep 23rd 2010 5:33 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8867690)

I've seen a few Saudis drive recent purchases back from Dubai. They appear to just schlap an import plate on new wheels and head for the border. Not knowing exactly how they do this - agent/family/wasta/GCC resi etc

Millhouse Sep 23rd 2010 6:10 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8867690)

Interesting - and a point I've always wondered. When I have family over to visit (with an IDP) can they drive my car here? The insurance is unclear, just says 'valid license to drive'.

so far, they have only ever off-roaded my cars but, now I live in the middle of nowhere, it would be good if they could drive them on road.

Roadking Sep 23rd 2010 6:17 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8869794)
Interesting - and a point I've always wondered. When I have family over to visit (with an IDP) can they drive my car here? The insurance is unclear, just says 'valid license to drive'.

so far, they have only ever off-roaded my cars but, now I live in the middle of nowhere, it would be good if they could drive them on road.

Legally, no they cannot drive your car unless they get a temporary exchange licence. A real pain when sometimes!

Millhouse Sep 23rd 2010 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 8869804)
Legally, no they cannot drive your car unless they get a temporary exchange licence. A real pain when sometimes!

what's this? where do I get it? and how much does it cost?

Roadking Sep 23rd 2010 8:18 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8869971)
what's this? where do I get it? and how much does it cost?

Get the temp in the same way as you get the normal exchange licence, at the cop shop. Not sure of the process as my PRO did it when we needed to organise for some press from Europe.

ubdai Sep 23rd 2010 8:21 am

Thanks for all info on 'driving licences'.:(

But I really do require info on shipping companies that can move vehciles.

ubdai

Roadking Sep 23rd 2010 8:27 am

Originally Posted by ubdai (Post 8870008)
Thanks for all info on 'driving licences'.:(

But I really do require info on shipping companies that can move vehciles.

ubdai

Then use Google 'cos it's pretty obvious you won't get the answers you want here.

ubdai Sep 23rd 2010 8:38 am

Its amazing how a thread gets hijacked.

ubdai