Reload this Page >

Shipping from Scotland to Qatar

Shipping from Scotland to Qatar

Old Jul 4th 2018, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

rsc05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping from Scotland to Qatar

Hello, British Expats in Qatar,

My wife and I have decided to move to Qatar in the next few months. Therefore, I will be shipping some of my belongings not all, for example for my case I have: 2 Office Chair, 2 (2 meter by 1 meter) table and clothes, printer, kitchen tools, computer screen, and a bike.

I have been researching this for a few weeks, but keep sourcing lots of inconsistent information, so anybody who is able to help with some info, would really appreciate it!

I have been researching this for a while there are many companies that ship from the UK to Qatar, however, I always get inconsistent reviews as these companies do not only ship for Qatar they ship elsewhere hence it is hard to know if the reviews are directed toward Qatar shipment or not.

1) Anybody able to recommend a reliable international moving company from Scotland to Doha - probably half a containers worth of furniture to come over?

2) What are the things that are important stuff to buy from the UK before travelling to Qatar? Hence, it might be hard to find these stuff in Qatar but easily found in the UK (or mainly cheaper)?

3) I am looking at movecorp shipping company do you know anything about this company?

4) Furthermore, are there any things you wish you had bought them from the UK before travelling to Doha?

5) How are comparable prices between UK and Qatar? Do they have similar prices (such as restaurants, brand clothes say GAP, HM, Next)?

6) They told me it is possible to Cycle there especially during winter seasons and that there is a well-established road for cycles, how reliable is that?

Thank you so much for your input in that matter

Best

Last edited by rsc05; Jul 4th 2018 at 1:08 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from Scotland to Qatar

You want to ship office chairs, two unremarkable tables, kitchen supplies and a few electronics to Qatar?

You will pay far more in shipping than they are worth. Sell them, give them away, and buy new / used ones here.

Bike - I have a bike I brought from the UAE 18 months ago. In the UAE I cycled weekly. In Qatar I haven't cycled once. It's not a cycling friendly country. You can still cycle and there are some tracks but they're not convenient for me. Just don't go cycling on the regular roads. It's not worth it. The cycling track is along the road to the airport and there's another one wayyyyyy outside Doha to the north, apparently.

Based on what you've said, only bring out your important electronics (laptops) and clothes. Clothing is expensive for the same brand as back home. Most people stock up when they go home on visits. Take everything on the plane with you.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for this information, do you know any reliable shipment company. For the office chair, the one I have is pretty expensive and it is important for my back so I have to do the shipping. But I need a reliable company. Do you know any reliable company?

What do you mean that it is one way? so no return for the bike? I have not been in Qatar may you please give some further information about the roads? you mean they are not as established as those in the UAE? Is it bad to bike on roads (cycle lane) ?

don't go cycling on the regular roads? Why is it that bad?

Last edited by rsc05; Jul 4th 2018 at 12:44 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rsc05
Thank you for this information, do you know any recruitment company. For the office chair, the one I have is pretty expensive and it is important for my back so I have to do the shipping. But I need a reliable company. Do you know any reliable company?

What do you mean that it is one way? so no return for the bike? I have not been in Qatar may you please give some further information about the roads? you mean they are not as established as those in the UAE? Is it bad to bike on roads (cycle lane) ?

You would need a death wish to cycle on the main roads in the GCC. The driving standards are appalling.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by reddiva
You would need a death wish to cycle on the main roads in the GCC. The driving standards are appalling.
Thank you for this, do you live in Qatar? can you please elaborate?
Old Jul 4th 2018, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Dubai but the standard of driving in Doha etc is terrible ( Look at the stats for accidents)
Unlike the UK and Europe this region does not have designated road cycle lanes and if we did they would be taken up by speeding cars! Road discipline does not exist, people swerve, tailgate, text on the ipads all whilst driving . As DXB-DOHA said there are some designated tracks such as this one

ras abu aboud bridge towards new airport alongside the road. I would avoid the main roads at all costs
Old Jul 4th 2018, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

It's one of the most dangerous places to drive in a car never mind a road bike . There's a few clubs though and they do track cycling at Lusail . Check the guys at Carbon Wheels who wewre always pretty knowledgeable when I was there .
Old Jul 4th 2018, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for this, may you please let me know if there is a reliable shipping company you have dealt with (or your British friends) while shipping your furniture from the UK to Doha? I am looking at <snip> do you know anything about this company?

Furthermore, are there any things you wish you had bought them from the UK before travelling to Doha?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 4th 2018 at 4:59 pm. Reason: Company name removed....looks a bit spammy for a newbie!
Old Jul 4th 2018, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Google the brand of your office chair and see if it's available in Doha. There's plenty of office chairs here.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much everything you have listed you are better off just buying in Doha, rather than shipping.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Bike ? Office chair ? Give your stuff away. Travel with 20kg and buy what you need in Doha. Think very hard after a bit of observation about cycling in Doha or in any other GCC State. If you have stuff you really value, put it in storage in Scotland (family heirlooms, photos etc)
Old Jul 5th 2018, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering but you have said you have decided to move to Doha..... but have you done any research on where you are moving to or is this the start of it? The ME isn't that rosey at the moment so it maybe worth letting folks know what industry you're in and what offer you have been given to see if it tallys up. What looks like a decent offer compared to the UK may be a piss poor one for the ME. Some things are frighteningly expensive here, other less so.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for this information, do you know any reliable shipment company. For the office chair, the one I have is pretty expensive and it is important for my back so I have to do the shipping. But I need a reliable company. Do you know any reliable company?

don't go cycling on the regular roads? Why is it that bad?
Eating out and drinking is expensive here. Expect to pay 8 quid for a pint or spirits with a mixer
Food that is imported is also expensive. We have Waitrose and Marks and Spencers and the food can be double that of the UK
Old Jul 5th 2018, 9:29 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Re Movecorp - I used them a few months ago. I would not do so again. Also be aware you probably get 2 different companies - one at each end - the second one you may not even know which it is. There can also be ''add on'' charges which you pay before you get your stuff.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, British Expats in Qatar,

My wife and I have decided to move to Qatar in the next few months. Therefore, I will be shipping some of my belongings not all, for example for my case I have: 2 Office Chair, 2 (2 meter by 1 meter) table and clothes, printer, kitchen tools, computer screen, and a bike.

I have been researching this for a few weeks, but keep sourcing lots of inconsistent information, so anybody who is able to help with some info, would really appreciate it!

I have been researching this for a while there are many companies that ship from the UK to Qatar, however, I always get inconsistent reviews as these companies do not only ship for Qatar they ship elsewhere hence it is hard to know if the reviews are directed toward Qatar shipment or not.

1) Anybody able to recommend a reliable international moving company from Scotland to Doha - probably half a containers worth of furniture to come over?

2) What are the things that are important stuff to buy from the UK before travelling to Qatar? Hence, it might be hard to find these stuff in Qatar but easily found in the UK (or mainly cheaper)?

3) I am looking at movecorp shipping company do you know anything about this company?

4) Furthermore, are there any things you wish you had bought them from the UK before travelling to Doha?

5) How are comparable prices between UK and Qatar? Do they have similar prices (such as restaurants, brand clothes say GAP, HM, Next)?

6) They told me it is possible to Cycle there especially during winter seasons and that there is a well-established road for cycles, how reliable is that?

Thank you so much for your input in that matter

Best
errr have you actually been to Doha???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.