British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Shipping to Riyadh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/shipping-riyadh-646123/)

Sabiq Dec 25th 2009 8:21 pm

Shipping to Riyadh

well I am new to the forum, I'm 16 years old, living in Riyadh.

Well here's my situation, during the Cristmas, Amazon sold products at discounted prices, so I decided to grab my dad's credit card and do some online shopping ( with his consent of course). I bought an Xbox 360 Elite, 3 Xbox Games, a flash drive and a Nokia N900. The price was around $1200 in total. I got them all shipped to my uncles place in the US. Well now my question is can I get them to ship it to me in Riyadh? I mean I know I can but what are the customs rules and regulations for that? And is there anyway I can avoid custom duties by like shipping them separately or something? And which service should I use? My uncles want to use UPS, but I think DHL is better. Expert input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sabiq :)

Sabiq Dec 26th 2009 12:21 pm

Re: Shipping to Riyadh

Originally Posted by Sabiq (Post 8197125)

Well here's my situation, during the Cristmas, Amazon sold products at discounted prices, so I decided to grab my dad's credit card and do some online shopping ( with his consent of course). I bought an Xbox 360 Elite, 3 Xbox Games, a flash drive and a Nokia N900. The price was around $1200 in total. I got them all shipped to my uncles place in the US. Well now my question is can I get them to ship it to me in Riyadh? I mean I know I can but what are the customs rules and regulations for that? And is there anyway I can avoid custom duties by like shipping them separately or something? And which service should I use? My uncles want to use UPS, but I think DHL is better. Expert input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Its sort of urgent, so yeah a quick reply would be appreciated.

Eman Dec 26th 2009 8:46 pm

welcome to Riyadh Sabiq
im sorry i have no idea ..
im sure the members gonna help u soon ,, maybe now they r busy with x-mas

enjoy ur time :)

Sabiq Dec 26th 2009 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Eman (Post 8198164)
welcome to Riyadh Sabiq
im sorry i have no idea ..
im sure the members gonna help u soon ,, maybe now they r busy with x-mas

enjoy ur time :)

Well atleast someone replied lol
Im not really new to Riyadh, it's been almost 2 years now.
And yeah I hope so, I really need to get this sorted out.

Eman Dec 26th 2009 9:11 pm

oh i thought u r new :lol:
2 years enough to know everything about KSA ha ?
hope u like life here :)

Sabiq Dec 26th 2009 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Eman (Post 8198187)
oh i thought u r new :lol:
2 years enough to know everything about KSA ha ?
hope u like life here :)

I wouldn't say it's enough to know the whole KSA, I haven't even visited Jeddah or Dammam yet. I've just been to Makkah and Madina. But for Riyadh I would say 2 years are more than enough to get to know it.

Well it's a new sort of lifestyle, I'm getting to know new people, making new friends, so yeah I'd say I'm lovin' it. Damn, reminds me of a Big Mac:rolleyes:.

melb_ksa Dec 28th 2009 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Sabiq (Post 8197125)

Thanks,

Aramex!
I bought loads of stuff through them (including laptop computers and PS3) and never had any issues with customs.
The service is great and it's well worth the money. I think they charge 60 SAR per 1/2 kg (or 1lb). You get a shipping address in the US and the UK.
They also have all the regulations for importing listed on the web site.

Sabiq Dec 28th 2009 11:35 am

Originally Posted by melb_ksa (Post 8200473)
Aramex!
I bought loads of stuff through them (including laptop computers and PS3) and never had any issues with customs.
The service is great and it's well worth the money. I think they charge 60 SAR per 1/2 kg (or 1lb). You get a shipping address in the US and the UK.

Thanks for the info man. Well I don't really need the US/ UK address but I will check them out, I can pay for their services at the origin right?

Sabiq Dec 28th 2009 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by melb_ksa (Post 8200473)
Aramex!

Cool, I'll check 'em out, any experience with DHL?

melb_ksa Dec 29th 2009 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Sabiq (Post 8201410)
Cool, I'll check 'em out, any experience with DHL?

Not for shopping - I have had things shipped through them before (documents and such).

melb_ksa Dec 29th 2009 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Sabiq (Post 8200870)
Thanks for the info man. Well I don't really need the US/ UK address but I will check them out, I can pay for their services at the origin right?

No you pay on pickup for the delivery fees (I personally go to the Suleymania office). They will also deliver home, but it takes longer. Normally you get an SMS to tell you that your delivery has arrived and you can also track it online.