British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   shipping to dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/shipping-dubai-605078/)

GnT Apr 23rd 2009 11:40 am

shipping to dubai

Hi everyone....getting a price for a part shipment of household goods from the UK to Dubai (moving end of May)....got GB Liners to come in last night, we aren't taking much and he worked it out at 200 cubic feet which is a 5th of a 20 foot container...anyone got any ideas on pricing since they say it may not be until next week I get something bk ?

anyone think its worthwhile ringing another company for a quote (pickfords) or any others? ;)

GnT Apr 23rd 2009 11:41 am

Re: shipping to dubai

oh and whilst he was there he mentioned a few things we weren't allowed to take with us.....gutted my harry potter book collection has to be left behind :(

FunnyFeline Apr 23rd 2009 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by GnT (Post 7506795)
oh and whilst he was there he mentioned a few things we weren't allowed to take with us.....gutted my harry potter book collection has to be left behind :(

That's absolute b*ll*cks!! However, if they insist, create new covers for your Harry Potter Books and do it that way. No one is going to read each book to check that it is exactly what it says on the cover!!

We just had the movers in on Tuesday (in Ireland) - Allied Pickfords, and they were brilliant. Get them to come and quote. All my Harry Potter books were packed no problem. The only things we couldn't bring was all the alcohol - God help us over the next couple of weeks getting through it all!! :rofl:

Allied Pickfords quoted us approx €4,500 (EUROS) for a single container (20 foot container - the standard size - company is paying for move). If we shared a container - like you are looking to do - it is much cheaper but it takes a little longer for your stuff to be transported. Although we were living in a 4 bed house, we only had 2 beds (one double, one king) and the general other household stuff. We also got a quote from Careline - was not impressed at all. Took ages to get quote & guy sounded like he couldn't care less on the other end of the phone!

The guys came in a huge van, started at 12:00pm and were fully done by 5:45pm!! We couldn't believe it. Two guys - one upstairs, one downstairs, and they just got on with it.

We are so impressed with the service and they have an office in Dubai that will sort out everything that end too.

So I recommend giving them a call. FF over & out!! :D

Morecambe Mindy Apr 23rd 2009 12:58 pm

Why on earth would he tell you that about Harry Potter books?

Only thing we got confiscated was our poker set.

FunnyFeline Apr 23rd 2009 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Morecambe Mindy (Post 7507070)
Why on earth would he tell you that about Harry Potter books?

Only thing we got confiscated was our poker set.

I know...it's so silly isn't it! :p

GnT Apr 23rd 2009 2:29 pm

ok cheers....they even mentioned if i take any photo albums over to go thru them to make sure there are no photos of women on beach etc else they will take them off me.....just called allied pickfords and they are gonna come round next week to give me a quote as well. hope its worth taking a few things over or i'll just end up selling it all, unfortunately hubbies company never offered to pay for our relocation costs, but I don't mind waiting a few extra weeks to share a container....will just have to survive on a suitcase of clothes or I could go to the mall and treat myself to a new wardrobe lol

Smoochy Girl Apr 23rd 2009 2:40 pm

That's rubbish - I ordered most of the Harry potter books and all the movies through Amazon and brought them by Aramex ..... never had a problem ;) I'm sure Harry Potter was shown here at the Cinema anyway!

Blue Cat Apr 23rd 2009 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl (Post 7507286)
That's rubbish - I ordered most of the Harry potter books and all the movies through Amazon and brought them by Aramex ..... never had a problem ;) I'm sure Harry Potter was shown here at the Cinema anyway!

it was, all movies and books can be bought here in the UAE, what a load of tosh they have told you GnT, don't bring any satanic verses with you though.

Roadking Apr 23rd 2009 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by GnT (Post 7506791)
Hi everyone....getting a price for a part shipment of household goods from the UK to Dubai (moving end of May)....got GB Liners to come in last night, we aren't taking much and he worked it out at 200 cubic feet which is a 5th of a 20 foot container...anyone got any ideas on pricing since they say it may not be until next week I get something bk ?

anyone think its worthwhile ringing another company for a quote (pickfords) or any others? ;)

Our booze came with the rest of our furniture, just pre-packed in a box and marked kitchen ware. Never even looked at.

Fairydust Apr 23rd 2009 6:04 pm

Funnily enough there was an article in the paper the other day about books which are now not allowed to be stocked in school libraries here and harry potter was one of them???

Smoochy Girl Apr 23rd 2009 6:06 pm

I'm positive I've seen them all in book shops here :confused: Perhaps they don't want to teach the kids things about wizards :eek:

Fairydust Apr 23rd 2009 6:10 pm

Yes they do sell them here, screen the movies and sell the dvds but for some reason they are not allowed to part of school curriculum??? Will try and find the link to the article

Fairydust Apr 23rd 2009 6:13 pm

Here it is

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...618907416/1139