Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Shipping Companies - Writer vs Allied Pickfords ???

Shipping Companies - Writer vs Allied Pickfords ???

Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:57 am
Just Joined

d0ughboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping Companies - Writer vs Allied Pickfords ???

Hi,

I've been given quotes by both companies from London to Abu Dhabi which are near about the same for the amount I'm shipping.

Has anyone heard of 'Writer' or used them?

Friend of mine used them and gave me their contact. They are an Indian company based in quite a few locations in Asia (India, HK, Singapore, Middle East, etc.)

As they don't have offices in the UK, they partner with either Sterling or ICM Gerson for the packaging in London, and handle the drop off in Abu Dhabi themselves.

I've heard mixed things about Pickfords. ICM Gerson and Sterling are used by the Investment Banks, etc. to move people around, have their own dedicated packers, etc, rather than casual staff.

Any advice or experience would be helpful?

Cheers
Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Companies - Writer vs Allied Pickfords ???

how much you being quoted out of interest?
Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Sav123 is an unknown quantity at this point

i can recommend Mick who owns Morocargo UK LTD based in London (020 7613 2961)

His big selling point is a Personal Service i.e. he’ll make sure the goods are safely packaged in his London Warehouse and then flown across to the destination where it’s met by one of his agents on the other side.
He helped a friend of mine who moved from London to HK and she was really happy with the service.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:41 am
Just Joined

d0ughboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Our stuff comes up to half a 20ft container. Pickfords handle that under 'Groupage' and have quoted just over £2000. Which means the other half will be other people's stuff

If I want the whole container to myself, then its £3000.

The other company does not offer groupage, so anything more than a third of the container getting filled, then it becomes exclusively your container, and they are charging about £3200
Old Feb 27th 2013, 7:30 am
UK

RJB123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have used Allied Pickfords to move entire house contents on three occasions and have been extremely happy with their service.