British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Shipping car from USA to the UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/shipping-car-usa-uae-628070/)

jamiestarr Aug 28th 2009 7:39 pm

Shipping car from USA to the UAE

Hi all,

I was wondering whether someone can help.

I'm thinking of buying a car from the US and then shipping it to the UAE (Abu Dhabi).

Does anybody have any experience of doing this? The only issue is that I'm here in the UAE and will be relying on the vendor in the US.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J

Eva Aug 28th 2009 7:59 pm

Re: Shipping car from USA to the UAE

Originally Posted by jamiestarr (Post 7884485)
Hi all,

I was wondering whether someone can help.

I'm thinking of buying a car from the US and then shipping it to the UAE (Abu Dhabi).

Does anybody have any experience of doing this? The only issue is that I'm here in the UAE and will be relying on the vendor in the US.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J

I don't think you can-legally I mean.I remember reading a thread -Zamboooka I think it was chatting about this.
Besides, is it cost effective? Good bargains to be had in UAE just now-and....
is it likely to be up to Gulf spec- ac wise etc??
Some of the petrolheads will be able to help you more when they are on line.

Ethos83 Aug 28th 2009 8:07 pm

Pros: you can take the car back to the US afterwards.

Cons:

1. expensive to ship a car here (and back to the US). But if the company's paying for shipping, this may be a moot point.

2. US cars will not be built to Gulf specifications. This primarily means that the air conditioning won't be as effective (which will be a significant comfort issue).

3. There are absolutely terrific bargains on cars for sale out here at the moment, with thousands of nearly new cars and 4x4 for sale by desperate expats leaving the country.

4. Hassle to register the car with the UAE authorities, and then when you go back to the States, it's a genuine hassle to deregister the car.

May I ask why you're exploring this option? It just won't be cheaper to buy a car in the US, unless you are serious about bringing a car over that can be taken back to the US after your time in Dubai is finished.

harrypic Aug 29th 2009 2:46 am

To answer your question with good advise we'ed need to know why your thinking of this route of action?

Why would you want to import a car from US to here?

jamiestarr Aug 30th 2009 10:04 am

Thank you for your replies.

The main reason is because I'm thinking of buying essentially one of three cars and I just can't get hold of good examples here (well, not at a good price anyway).

Any of the following:

1. Honda s2000 (preferably in white - I've seen some advertised here, but they're either in black or silver),
2. Nissan 350Z convertible (in manual), or
3. Toyota MR2 (just not available here).

I would not be shipping it back to the US. I'm a Brit, so when the oil dries up I may end up back in the UK, but being a lefty it won't be much good - but I don't mind.

Would welcome your thoughts.

J

Blue Cat Aug 30th 2009 10:34 am

get something else :p

BurpusMe Aug 30th 2009 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7888451)
get something else :p

Seriously - get something that can be maintained in UAE.
Nobody stocks parts for those old clunkers anymore.

A broken alternator/water pump/whatever may take you off the road for months.

Just don't.

Blue Cat Aug 30th 2009 11:28 am

Originally Posted by BurpusMe (Post 7888565)

Just don't.

totally agree :)

Dubai to Dibba Daily Aug 30th 2009 11:48 am

Originally Posted by BurpusMe (Post 7888565)

Just don't.

Eh??

MR2 maybe but the 350Z are relitively new (just replaced by the 370) and the S2000's have only just been discontinued. Parts for both of these would be easy to get hold of.

I would say tho is I wouldn't bother. My mate bought an S2000 here new and it was cheap as chips (120k) so 2nd hand ones should be as well. Similar for the 350's as there was millions of em floating about a year or so ago!

One thing I would say is be very very careful as many cars from the US that are imported are insurance write offs that have been flood / fire damaged cheaply fixed up and then put on the boat (according to the nice lady at Exotic Cars when I was last looking).

Also 1 thing about the S2000 is make sure you get the right one as many gulf spec cars have less powerful engines (Evo & S2000 included - 2.0L instead of the 2.2) and many come with a lower Spec (Evo etc etc)

As for actually doing it, one of the guys I know brought a TR7 in from the US that he had bought of Ebay and he said it was straight forward enough. As for exporting again afterwards all you need is to have owned the car for 6+ months.

Also remember, righthand drive cars cannot be registered over here so many 'exotics' are out!

Bob Sep 1st 2009 1:26 am

Originally Posted by jamiestarr (Post 7888374)

I would not be shipping it back to the US. I'm a Brit, so when the oil dries up I may end up back in the UK, but being a lefty it won't be much good - but I don't mind.

A yank mobile would be a bitch to register in the UK, so you might as well torch it before leaving....saying that, it's easier than bringing a Brit car to the US, but it's just not worth it, plus it'll be worth a lot less.

jamiestarr Sep 1st 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks for your advice - I will try and see if I can get something here.

I called Nissan today and they want 190k for the new 370Z. It retails in the UK for £30,000, which means that it is more expensive here. That's madness. I thought cars were suppose to be cheaper here(!).

I agree the S2000 was much cheaper here (nearly half the price). I saw an S2000 on Dubizzle today, but the chap is not dropping his price though. He wants 99,000 for it (fixed apparently) and it's not the colour I want either (black). I tried to compromise with him by offering 90k, but he was just not interested. I thought vendors would be a lot more accommodating now because of the downturn, but clearly not. The car has covered 35,000 KM and is over a year and a half old. I believe 30% depreciation is reasonable, especially in this market.

Anyway, it's back to the drawing board for me. I should have got the last batch of the S2000 in 2008 - I really regret not getting a new one then.

commander Sep 1st 2009 7:02 pm

Why a non arab would want a white car is beyond me, they are beyond hideous...

jamiestarr Sep 2nd 2009 12:35 am

I would have agreed with you a few months ago, but not anymore. White cars do not look that bad in this region. Don't know what it is (perhaps the theory of darker colours being a conductor of heat etc blah blah), but some cars look pretty good in White. Eg vw Scirocco, Honda s2000 (the feature model in the UK is in White). I don't know if you've noticed, but some manufacturers have started using White cars in their promotion literature too (yes, in Europe too). However, some cars do look totally awful in White eg Fords.

commander Sep 2nd 2009 6:52 am

Mate, don't listen to me anyway, I drive a chevy epica...that shows my credentials in this subject

Dubai to Dibba Daily Sep 3rd 2009 9:50 am

Originally Posted by jamiestarr (Post 7894621)
I called Nissan today and they want 190k for the new 370Z. It retails in the UK for £30,000, which means that it is more expensive here. That's madness. I thought cars were suppose to be cheaper here(!)..

No way 190K - are they taking the pi$$? The old one was 140Kish last year. I would go in and ask as they can be very different in person.

Originally Posted by jamiestarr (Post 7894621)
I agree the S2000 was much cheaper here (nearly half the price). I saw an S2000 on Dubizzle today, but the chap is not dropping his price though. He wants 99,000 for it (fixed apparently) and it's not the colour I want either (black). I tried to compromise with him by offering 90k, but he was just not interested. I thought vendors would be a lot more accommodating now because of the downturn, but clearly not. The car has covered 35,000 KM and is over a year and a half old. I believe 30% depreciation is reasonable, especially in this market.

Hmmm 30% is maybe a bit too much. 35,000 is quite high tho if it is only 1 year old (av ~20Kish)

Have you tried Honda they may have some left???

TBH I doubt you will get a white one as I have never seen one over here.