Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Shipping books / DVDs to Qatar

Shipping books / DVDs to Qatar

Old Nov 17th 2016, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping books / DVDs to Qatar

Organising the shipping strategy. I really don't have much in the way of crap to take with me (no furniture) and I'm allowed to keep what I don't spend of the overly generous relocation package

My plan is to book a few return flights and take everything over via baggage, which gives me an excuse to hop back to DXB for weekends. Qatar Airways has pretty generous 30kg baggage allowance (Emirates is 23kg) plus relatively inexpensive charges for extra baggage. Going to take the bicycle and most clothes over on the first tip. Come back for the rest a few weeks later. And a third trip if needed.

The question is are we allowed to take books and DVDS to Qatar? I'm hearing mixed reports - the shipping companies say do not pack DVDs or books. I don't mind tossing the DVDs but the books I'd like to keep (around 30 of them). But I imagine there must be tonnes of people flying into Doha with books, so it can't be a big deal if I bring them by air? I can divide up the books among my trips so there's no more than 7-10 books at a time. None of the books are religious.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping books / DVDs to Qatar

Books will be no problem for shipping, just look at the number of book fairs in this region and that should tell you!! DVD`s if they are not skin flicks should not be a problem either as long as they are not blatant copies. Customs are too busy elsewhere to bother with you with a few items, also make sure descriptions on any Bills of Lading are accurate and include that they are personal items not for trade.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, good to hear.

Still wondering if I'll ever actually use the bicycle in Qatar but as it'll go back to the UK someday might as well take it. Even if it remains in the box for the next few years.

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Books will be no problem for shipping, just look at the number of book fairs in this region and that should tell you!! DVD`s if they are not skin flicks should not be a problem either as long as they are not blatant copies. Customs are too busy elsewhere to bother with you with a few items, also make sure descriptions on any Bills of Lading are accurate and include that they are personal items not for trade.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

are you relocating from Dubai to Doha?
Old Nov 17th 2016, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, unfortunately.

Well, a job is a job.

Originally Posted by mission
are you relocating from Dubai to Doha?
Old Nov 17th 2016, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Yes, unfortunately.

Well, a job is a job.
awww ma'an.....my condolences
Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Yes, unfortunately.

Well, a job is a job.
You'll not have a problem with the books mate .