Reload this Page >

Shipping a bicycle from UK to KSA

Shipping a bicycle from UK to KSA

Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

schulz is on a distinguished road
Default Shipping a bicycle from UK to KSA

Hey guys,
Can anyone offer any advise or guidance regarding shipping a bicycle from the UK to Riyadh? I went to DHL and they quoted me 5000 SAR which is pretty unreasonable. Does anyone have experience doing this and which carrier did you use UPS,Fed-Ex, TNT, ect..

Also has anyone delt with "Epic Cycles" in Tenbury Wells?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping a bicycle from UK to KSA

I brought mine over on the plane.

Went to a bike shop in the UK and asked for an bike old box, took the wheels off the bike, boxed it, taped it up and took it to the airport.

I flew J Class so it was within my luggage allowance but it was only around £15 to transport 'sporting equipment' if you were in Y class.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

I am all ready in Riyadh so I can not fly it over with me.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:03 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

It will be probably be cheaper to pay for a flight ticket for yourself to go back and get it, that's the point.

With BA it doesn't cost any extra as long as it's within the weight allowance (23kg in economy), and likewise to Saudia (though they only give 20kg free in economy).
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

oh ok. Well I have never been to the UK, I am a yank from the U.S. I guess it could be a good reason for me to visit. Ill look into and let yall know what I decide on.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:38 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Just use a shipping agent. I airfreighted using BA to Kuwait at £7 per kilo - used an agent to sort it out.

Get the bike shop to deliver to the shipping agent - talk to BA, they'll advise you.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Silly Question !!!! But why not just buy one here in Riyadh
Or is this some sort of magic bike !!!
Mind you with the state of the roads 4 wheels are much better than 2 .
I was nearly taken out last nite on the way home.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bijilo123 View Post
Just use a shipping agent. I airfreighted using BA to Kuwait at £7 per kilo - used an agent to sort it out.

Get the bike shop to deliver to the shipping agent - talk to BA, they'll advise you.
BA? British Airways?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by coffindodger View Post
Silly Question !!!! But why not just buy one here in Riyadh
Or is this some sort of magic bike !!!
Mind you with the state of the roads 4 wheels are much better than 2 .
I was nearly taken out last nite on the way home.
Its a road race bike and there is only 1 shop in town that carry's anything worth a damn I have found. Its called "wheels" but they only carry Trek's, my backup plan is to go with a Trek Madone 4.5 which they can order for me.

However I found a really good deal on an Orbea Orca in the UK because its last years model and I have always wanted one. The same bike would be about $1000-2000 USD more in the U.S.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by schulz View Post
BA? British Airways?
no, Mr T!

BA when asked about resuming air journeys after the ash cloud incident said 'I ain't getting on no plane fool'
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all

Go to wiggle.co.uk

They have a large bike selection, you can buy tax free and they will ship.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:36 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

What a strange thread! Why not visit a local cycle dealer, who will be able to import one for you. Next you will be wanting your budgie flown over.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Next you will be wanting your budgie flown over.
I don't think that would be cheep...
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Daz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to allDaz968 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
What a strange thread! Why not visit a local cycle dealer, who will be able to import one for you. Next you will be wanting your budgie flown over.

If you have to ask that question you wouldn't understand / appreciate the answer. The problem is that here in the Middle East, bike enthusiasts aren't catered for very well.

If you wanted to buy a top marque car, would you buy it from from a dodgy back street dealer (even if he could get his hands on one?) - of course not.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought riding a bike on the roads in KSA would be akin to playing russian roulette with an automatic - i.e. guaranteed death.

If the OP really wants the bike just get it packed up and an international shipper to send it air-freight. It won't be dirt cheap but it won't be DHL prices either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.