British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Shia Mosques (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/shia-mosques-644879/)

mission Dec 15th 2009 10:12 am

Shia Mosques

Ok I know this is probably a long shot in what I'm about to ask, given that this is a brit expat forum and all, but i figured those of you who may have lived in Dubai for a number of yrs, and are familiar with the two main Islamic sects ie Sunni & Shia, might know - does anyone know of any shia mosques in dubai...if so could you please let me know the location/s.

Cheers :)

Jim Smith Dec 15th 2009 10:55 am

Re: Shia Mosques

Originally Posted by mission (Post 8174144)
Ok I know this is probably a long shot in what I'm about to ask, given that this is a brit expat forum and all, but i figured those of you who may have lived in Dubai for a number of yrs, and are familiar with the two main Islamic sects ie Sunni & Shia, might know - does anyone know of any shia mosques in dubai...if so could you please let me know the location/s.

Yes, the big fancy one across Al Wasl Road from the Iranian Hospital. Over the years I have had a few others pointed out to me, but not being of that faith, I forgot them!

mission Dec 15th 2009 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 8174221)
Yes, the big fancy one across Al Wasl Road from the Iranian Hospital. Over the years I have had a few others pointed out to me, but not being of that faith, I forgot them!

Cheers Jim, much appreciated:)

Bonny Boy Dec 15th 2009 1:04 pm

There is an attractive one with blue tiles in Bur Dubai - it's a little hard to find, but is basically just inland of the old (new) souq area between the two abra stations.

Bonny Boy Dec 15th 2009 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 8174144)

Are you getting ready for Ashura then?

Bahrain is interesting for this, so long as you are discreet (dress in black) it is possible to watch the parades. I am not sure they parade in Dubai though.

Autonomy Dec 15th 2009 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 8174469)
There is an attractive one with blue tiles in Bur Dubai - it's a little hard to find, but is basically just inland of the old (new) souq area between the two abra stations.

I know the one you mean - I took some shots there and it's stunning, so beautiful...

mission Dec 16th 2009 1:30 pm

thanks everyone for your feedback....i'll try and see if i can find the mosques you guys have mentioned.

BONNY yep Inshallaah im gearing up for Ashura - the 10 days of Moharram will begin on Friday with Ashura being on the 26th Dec.

Na, i highly doubt there is any parade over here....they tend to keep them confined to the mosque coz of the controvesey surrounding the commemoration.

Bonny Boy Dec 17th 2009 4:40 am

1 Attachment(s)
Iranian hospital and mosque:

Bonny Boy Dec 17th 2009 4:42 am

1 Attachment(s)
Bur Dubai mosque:

Norm_uk Dec 18th 2009 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by mission (Post 8177222)
thanks everyone for your feedback....i'll try and see if i can find the mosques you guys have mentioned.

BONNY yep Inshallaah im gearing up for Ashura - the 10 days of Moharram will begin on Friday with Ashura being on the 26th Dec.

Na, i highly doubt there is any parade over here....they tend to keep them confined to the mosque coz of the controvesey surrounding the commemoration.

Is that the one with all the bloodletting and self flagellation?

N.

smilingcamel Dec 18th 2009 4:56 pm

There is a large one in nearby Sharjah opposite to where all the Dhows are....if you really like shia mosqes....head to Bahrain. I have just left Bahrain and there are plenty of em there! I must admit the inscriptions and calligraphy look impressive if you have a chance to look inside...I am not moslem, but find the art work amazing on some of the shia mosques.

Bonny Boy Dec 19th 2009 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 8183434)
Is that the one with all the bloodletting and self flagellation?

N.

Yes, that's the one - the Martyrdom of Ali.

Controversial, because it raises Shia/Sunni tensions - akin to an Orangeman's march in NI.

Norm_uk Dec 20th 2009 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 8185538)

Controversial, because it raises Shia/Sunni tensions - akin to an Orangeman's march in NI.

Also controversial because of all the self flagellation and blood etc...:sneaky:

N.

mission Dec 21st 2009 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 8185538)

Actually its the Martydrom of Imaan Hussein.

Bonny Boy Dec 21st 2009 11:45 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 8188887)
Actually its the Martydrom of Imaan Hussein.

Yes.....the ibn Ali part of his name threw me....