Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Sherraton hotel, Qatar

Sherraton hotel, Qatar

Old Aug 23rd 2009, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice
Default Re: Sherraton hotel, Qatar

Yeah - I have to agree with you - was there in Doha for 9 months - left in Feb/March - all my friends still living there say it's totally changed for the worse - such a shame - it could have become thee player in the region - will see for myself in a few months when I come visit my old watering hole at the Harp and join the boys at the '501 Club' - i.e 1 minute after opening time.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Qataruser is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally wasted oppertunity. All that money and no idea or vision.

This region had a very small window to convince the World they were a place to do buisness. Dubai has made a mess of it but COULD rebound because it will become so cheap to live there.

Qatar won't be able to compete with that and sadly their reaction to this recession, to become more conservative and to penny pinch and mess people around doesn't bode well for the long term future of the Country.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Alot happens in a year then ...
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

Well in reality - even quicker - 6 months - total change. Who'd have thought it would have been so fast - especially in this part of the world - where most people are so 'laid' back you'd think they're in a coma.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:01 am
Just Joined

nogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the rough

Doha is different to Dubai, its some thing that has to be accepted. Ive lived here nearly a year and its still taking some getting used to but there are still bars here eg 1st floor in the Ramada, Golf club, Rugby club.
I dont think westerners(I am one),realise what a massive culture shock this part of the world is still going through, it is like a lottery winner who goes mad with the money without taking advice from Camelot on what to expect.
And finally you have Islam which prescribes a medieval way of life when we are living in the age of Jet travel and the Internet.
PS DONT move in to ESDAN as it is a crap hole with terrible rooms and management.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mart1000
well i had no say in it, down to employer, Dont mind as long as clean and modern and everything works as Im single.

Hmm however just found out its Ezdan Hotel, looks nice but doesnt seem to have good reputation for service etc. If I dont like it I will ask for the $ equivalent and find my own or share. I think there are about a dozen on project and they want us all to be together in what looks like a huge tower block

Comments anyone on this place

ps it has a pool and gym I beleive
Ezdan is pretty much the worst you can get in Qatar, sorry to say.. if I were you I would try to get something else.
Try Al Fardan, they are good.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Razzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Sherraton hotel, Qatar

I live in Dubai and recently spent some time working in Doha. Firstly dont stay at Ezdan if you can avoid it, the other posters have described it accuratley. I think its depressing and dissapointing because its so tatty and badly managed. The gym is very good in my opinon though but I thought the pool was not kept clean enough but is better than having no pool.

I quite liked Doha and imagine that in the winter you could enjoy a more outdoor lifestyle than you can in Dubai due to the more thoughtful street planning. I also agree that Doha makes you appreciate the progress that has been made in Dubai and has stopped me whinging about Dubai's crazy developments.

I think that moving to the Middle East to work takes a huge amount of adjustment anyway and that Doha is as good a place as any to do that - it is much easier to get a drink in Dubai though! Best of luck to you.